Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Arthur Edward Furniss

Can anyone advise years of production

Re: Arthur Edward Furniss

There's an Italian guy who has made a study of silverware, electro-plate, and Sheffield-plate, and he reckons that Arthur Edward Furniss started up in Holly St. in 1858, and lasted a bit over a century, entering voluntary liquidation in 1962.

Company or trading names included Arthur E. Furniss, A E Furniss & Sons, and A E Furniss Son, and Percharde Limited during a period of cooperation with Percharde Ltd.

http://www.silvercollection.it/electroplatesilverFdue.html (near the bottom of the page).

Cheers,

Andrew.

From Tweedale's Directory of Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers.

A.E.Furniss & Sons
This company was founded in 1858 by Arthur Edward Furniss, a silver smith and electro-plate manufacturer. In 1861, he was living in a boarding house, while employing six men, two boys and ten women. His workshops were in Holly Street, then Carver Street, and then Broad Lane after 1892. The firm apparently never registered a silver mark in the nineteenth century, either in Sheffield or London.

The founder died on 13 July 1910 at his residence in Wilkinson Street. He was aged 77 and the cause of death was heart trouble. His love of cricket and his exploits against the MCC merited an obituary in The Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 14 July 1910, under the heading 'A Veteran Sheffield Cricketer'. The obituarist noted that Furniss was 'an ardent follower of the game all his life'. He was buried in the General Cemetery. His factory then employed about 70 or 80 workers. His sons, Frank William and James Edward, took over the company. It merged with Perchard Ltd in about 1928, but went out of business soon after 1934.

Angela

Thank you Andrew. I have seen the entry in silvercollection.it

Hello Angela. Is the tweedale directory on line?

Hi Elaine.

Not that I am aware of. I got mine from Herbert Housley one of the old little mesters, when he bought a newer version.

It is available at the Local Studies Library on Surrey St. (when they re-open)

Angela