Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pauper Tomlinson grave

Hi I am searching for the burial of Joshua Tomlinson my great x 2 Grandfather who I believe was interred at city road. The place of death was given as Artisan street. I cant seem to find it.

Re: Pauper Tomlinson grave

Hi Rob

The burial at City Road is on this site over to the left in 'Burial Records'.

Denise

Hi Rob,According to my ancient st guide it was at 80 Penistone Rd between Penistone Rd A61 and Infirmary Rd it could have been where the link between these 2 is now.
Regards Barry

The Sheffield Hallam Uni database of claims after the 1864 flood has a claim made by a Brazier & Shopkeeper of 17 Artizan Street - from their map it looks to me like it was very close to where you said (logical enough), running towards the Don.

Cheers, Andrew P.

Artizan Street ran from Penistone Road towards the river Don. If you know Sheffield it runs parallel to Rutland Road imagine it running behind the Wicks DIY store that is on there. It came out onto Cornish Street.

From an Alan Godfrey Street Map of 1903 Sheffield West 294.07

John

Hi Denise.

I'm sorry but I keep looking with no avail. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? Can you explain where I can find it please? I guess I'm getting to old for this searching malarkey.

Thanks, Rob.

Thank you.

The strange thing about the burial is this... his brother Joseph was the famous Funeral director of Sheffield. Joshua lived opposite his brother's office at Borough Mews, although died a pauper. I guess they must have had a disagreement at some point.

Rob, go into burials over to the left and put Joshua in forename and tomlinson in surname. There are only 2 answers and yours is one of them.
Dave

Hi Dave, I'm trying that, using the search engine although it's not working for me??

Rob, what device are you using?
Try putting * both before and after each word, no spaces.
If that does not work let me know and I will, copy it for you
Dave

Hi Rob, I finally found Artisan St with an S not a Z its where John suggested its a small cul-de-sac between Dixon St and Rutland Rd. as he says where Wickes is now. In the past it probably went as John says in to Cornish St. I found it in my old Geogrphia Atlas of Sheffield.
Regards Barry

I would like to offer an opinion about the use of the word 'pauper' in this thread.

A pauper was someone whose poverty meant that they needed to receive relief from the state (ie the Guardians of the Poor) to survive. That relief might be provided in the community - 'outdoor relief' or in the workhouse.

A pauper *burial* was paid for by the state.

This grave contains 25 individuals, all buried in November and December 1890. None of the entries say that death occurred in the Workhouse.

There is no evidence one way or the other as to who paid for the funerals of any of these people.

Unless graves or a groups of graves are assigned or appropriated for burials paid for by the Guardians, I don't think you can talk about 'pauper graves' at all. I prefer to call them 'Public Graves'. Yes, in general, they are the resting places of the poorer members of the population, but that doesn't mean they were paupers.

Even where the Workhouse is given as a place of death, the deceased may not have been a pauper. Particularly in the late 19th or early 20th century the Workhouse infirmaries were evolving into separate institutions which would go on to become public hospitals. Many people who were not inmates of the Workhouse would seek medical help in the infirmary. If they died there the state may not have been involved in paying for a funeral.

Hugh

Hi

Seems to me its about an individuals interpretation of the term 'paupers grave'. Yes they were originally for people whos funerals were paid for by the state, be that because they were in receipt of Poor Relief, or because they died without any family, or the family weren't willing to pay for a burial.

But another definition is;

'The term pauper’s grave means that people who are buried in this kind of plot do not have the “exclusive right of burial” – a phrase that defines someone’s rights over a private grave'.Someone may be buried in a common grave which already contains someone else’s coffin, or the plot may be reopened for a further burial at a later date'.

So that woud mean that family may indeed have paid for the burial but that it would be much more affordable.

I have plenty of relatives in 'Paupers Graves' but my own thinking is that for whatever reason they werent able to be afforded a private/exclusive grave. I dont automatically assume they were on Poor Relief.

Denise