Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Joseph Ibbotson born 1828 Wadsley

Hi, Still struggling to find the correct parents for Joseph Ibbotson, born 1828 in Wadsley. I have found him on the 1851, 1861 and 1871 census, with his wife, Martha and their growing family, living in various locations around Sheffield.Also on the 1861 census, there are a Zacharial Ibbotson, (listed as brother in law) and William Ibbotson, (listed as nephew). The former could be the brother of his wife Martha and his birth year is given as 1832. The later, William, has a birth year of 1848. Any help would be appricated, thanks.

Re: Joseph Ibbotson born 1828 Wadsley

Hi Cathie,

Suggestions and observations.

1. Have you looked at our 1841 census INDEX over to the left. There are two 13 year olds listed for you to follow though with. But ages are just a suggestion on that census as you know.Minus 5 yrs on anyone over 15 yrs But that could be questionable.

2. Worral being very close to Wadsley.

3.Large numbers of Ibbotsons in Bradfield and Ecclesfield. My line came from Tankersley.

4.They could be Methodists etc so not showing up in the usual registers.i.e. C of E.

5 Have you checked on Family Search?

6.Have you tried to trace Zachariah/Zacharial Ibbotson? Easier than Joseph.

7. FreeBMD for William 1848.

Just suggestions.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Do you know the maiden name of martha and when did they marry please?

Hi cathie

Is this the right couple:

Joseph Ibbotson aged 21 Anvil Maker/Manufacturer married Martha Antcliffe aged 21 in 1847
Grooms Father Henry Ibbotson, Anvil Maker/Mnufacturer?
Brides father John Antcliffe , Labourer

EDIT:

Zachariah Antcliffe - born 20 Feb 1832, in Sheffield. Father John, Mother Mary

Denise

also..........

First name(s) Joseph
Last name Ibbotson
Birth year 1828
Birth date 27 Apr 1828
Baptism year 1828
Baptism date 02 Jun 1828
Place Sheffield
Denomination Wesleyan Methodist
Father's first name(s) Robert
Mother's first name(s) Sarah
County Yorkshire
Country England
The National Archives reference TNA/RG/4/3744
Description YORKSHIRE: Sheffield, Norfolk Street Brunswick and Park Chapels (Wesleyan): Births & Baptisms
***********************************************************************************

Elaine in Ottawa.

Added info........Address Earl Lane Sheffield. Piece 1337/7 folio 42a.

1841 census Henry Ibbotson aged 57 Anvil Maker
Wife Rachel aged 50

6 Children including a Joseph.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi John and Denise, Josephs wife is Martha Antcliff and she had a brother called Zacherial, so putting his surname as Ibbotson could be the mistake of the person who took the census.Thanks Cathie

Hi Elaine, Thanks for the suggestions about the baptism registers. I think it is more likeky to be the Methodist baptism that is appropriate for this Joseph Smith.As you can see from my reply to John and Denise, I think that Zackerial Ibbotson could be Martha Antcliffs brother and the person taking the census made an error with his surname. The marriage date for Joseph and Martha appears to be correct. This leaves me still struggling to find a William with a birth year close to 1848, on either side of the Antcliffe/Ibbotson families.Thanks to everybody for finally ponting me in the right direction. Cathie

Cathie
The Methodist baptism of joseph in 1828 is definitely not correct. His father was aRobert
Denise has given you the name of your Joseph's father from his marriage to Martha Antcliffe. He said his father was called Henry and he was an anvil maker, like Joseph.
Also Elaine has provided the 1841Census record for Joseph with his father Henry, anvil maker and mother Rachel.
I can add that the 1851 census shows Henry and Rachel with children ( not Joseph who was by now married) and Henry is now a Spring knife cutler, like Joseph also became.
The mid to late 19TH century was a boom time for spring knife cutlers due to the large export markets of USA and South America and as automation took hold many cutlers turned to the spring knife business. My own ggg grandfather turned from anvil making to spring knife cutlery.
You need to look further for a baptism for Joseph, now you know his parents were Henry and Rachel
Dave

Hi Yes had seen the post about Henry being Josephs father and have found the date for his marriage to Martha Antcliff. On the 1851 census, joseph and Martha appear to be living very close to her parents, with his occupation being given as cutler. However, if I have found the right 1861 census for Joseph, his occupation is given as anvil smith. I will look for his baptism now. Thanks for the help, Dave.

Hi Cathie et al,
Henry HIBBERSON and Rachel Middleton have their marriage recorded on this website, M:1828.
I also suspect, but no proof yet, that Henry was first married to Elizabeth...?? The reason is, there are three HIBBERSON births/baptisms, also on this website (isn't it great!!)that show a Henry (Forgeman) as the constant father but Elizabeth is mother to Elizabeth B:1821, JOSEPH B:1827. Rachel is the mother of George B:1829. ergo Henry and Elizabeth are possibly your Joseph's parents...??

In 1871, Henry IBBOTSON, Rachel and daughter Hannah, end up living as paupers in the Ecclesfield district.
There is a Tree on Family Search website that shows Henry dying in 1875 at Wadsley and Rachel in 1873. Plus it has lots of other info that may or may not be useful to you.
HAPPY HUNTING :sleuth_or_spy:

Hi Wendy. The 3 baptisms you found here were all done together on Dec 27 1829.
From FMP it looks like Henry married Elizabeth Brown in 1813 and Elizabeth was buried, age 41, at St Mary Ecclesfield on 8 May 1828.
Dave

Thanks for the update Dave

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Hi Wendy and Dave, Thanks for the further updates. Cathie