Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Esther Woolhouse 1803 born sheffield?

Can anyone help please

Esther Woolhouse
Marriage Date: 26 May 1822
Marriage Place: Rotherham, Yorkshire, England
Spouse: James Cooper
FHL Film Number: 919317

This lady is on the 1841 with James Upperthorpe 1851 called Easter with James Owlterton 1861 Esther with James Chapel Street Owlerton 1871

On Ancestry a Ester Howson 1802 Sheffield keeps coming up on Esther Coopers ancestry page ( which I found this happened with another ancestor it was her original maiden name and who was only married a year if that makes sense.)

I need to find who her parents were. To join her up with one of my other ancestors

Any help greatly received and if there are fathers on the marriage certificate who was James parents.

Thank you so much.

Re: Esther Woolhouse 1803 born sheffield?

No parents names but witnesses were Mary Watsons and William Watsons

where was she born please?

Hi Kathleen
From the cathedral records:
Esther Howson baptised 15 August 1802. Parents John and Sarah Howson. John was a silver-plater.

I can't find a marriage for Esther Howson to a Woolhouse. However there is an Esther Howson (spinster) who married James Cooper (widower) on 24 October 1830 at Sheffield Parish church (catherdral).

There are two baptisms for Esther Woolhouse though slightly earlier than your date:
Esther Woolhouse baptised 29 June 1800, daughter of Anne, of Wadsley. Baptism at St Mary's Ecclesfield.
Esther Woolhouse born 27 March 1796 baptised 15 May 1796 at Wentworth. Parents are Joseph Woolhouse and Sarah (nee Whitworth)

Steve.

Thank you so much - all the census say Sheffield but I know that is not always the case - they seem to live mostly in the Owlerton area which sometime seems to come up as Ecclesfield I know Sheffield cut off before the Wednesday Ground at one time.

Best wishes

Hi Kathleen
Looking at the image of the marriage record in 1822 Esther is recorded as a spinster. That would suggest that the link to Esther Howson is incorrect and so you perhaps need to consider one of the two Esther Woolhouse baptisms. The one at Ecclesfield in 1800 I would think is the most likely as the family are recorded as being from Wadsley which is just up the hillside from Owlerton. The baptism at Wentworth I think recorded the family as from Hoyland.

Steve