Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tinsley parish church burials

My husband’s great grandmother Sophia Brackenbury (nee McClemance) was buried in the church graveyard on 18th December 1918. Are there any plans of the plots or memorial inscriptions for the church graveyard.
Thanks

Re: Tinsley parish church burials

Hi Christine,
Sent you a copy of plan of Tinsley via email. :)
Tinsley record from FMP
Sophia
Last name Brackenbury
Age 68
Birth year 1850
Death year 1918
Burial year 1918
Burial date 18 Dec 1918
Burial place Tinsley
County Yorkshire (West Riding)
Country England
Archive Sheffield Archives & Local Studies
Archive reference PR-144-4-4
Page 41
Record set Yorkshire Burials
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Parish Burials
Collections from England, Great Britain

Thank you very much for this Lois.
I originally looked in Tinsley park for her grave then someone told me that the burial record shows Tinsley parish church (St Lawrence). I went and looked last year but couldn't find it. Someone was tidying the whole graveyard. Then I read that they were documented the gravestones. So I was wondering if the documenting had finished and if anyone knew where I could find the information.

Hi Christine,
I have a disc with the burials for St Lawrence and can't find her burial on that.

Hi

Reference PR144 is definitely St Lawrence.

Perhaps your disc doesn't cover 1918 Lois. The S&DFHS transcription only go to 1901.

Angela

Yes I meant to post that I didn't think the disc went to that date.

I wonder if St Lawrence church has an email address which you could contact to see if they can help you?

The burial registers are deposited with Sheffield Archives.

Angela

Thank you all for your help. I will try the archives when they open. Sophia is an elusive ancestor. I only have her marriage certificate, 1881, 1901 and 1911 census, plus death information and children’s names. I have tried on here before and even the who do you think you are magazine experts couldn’t find her before her marriage. She is my brick wall 🤪

From the census returns where was Sophia born and the maiden name McClemance was that from the marriage cert and does it tally with childrens births? I presume she was a spinster when she married.

John

From census Sophia was born in Glasgow and from the marriage , on FMP, her father name was Samuel, a carpenter
Dave