Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tinsley cemetery burial

trying to help a neighbour find the grave of STANLEY WILKES who died aged 23 in 1947. He was buried in Tinsley cemetery on 11th October but no grave details were given.

can anyone help with locating the grave?

many thanks

Jenny

Re: Tinsley cemetery burial

Hi Jenny

The spreadsheet I've got gives the grave reference RA87gp.

Carol

HI Carol

thanks so much, he'll really appreciate it.

Jenny

Just given him the news and he was so happy and asked me to pass on his thanks. Can I be cheeky and ask if anyone else is interred in the same grave?

I'll take a look

Hi

Found two more burials in that grave:-

WILKS Frank 12 Nov 1932 Age:18 son of William Crimicar Lane Hosp/72 Stovin Rd Sheffield RA87gp
WILKES William 27 Jan 1945 Age:67 labourer 72 Stovin Rd Sheffield RA87gp

Frank's surname is missing the 'e' in the record.

Hope this is what he was looking for.

Carol

Hi again Carol

that's exactly what he was hoping to find. He'll be off to the cemetery shortly to pay his respects.

Thanks on his behalf

Jenny

was going to offer to help pinpoint the grave for you unfortunately I have not got the plot map for that particular area. I hope you will be able to find it.

Hi Jenny

Found a few more burials for what appears to be the same Wilkes family but under the spelling of Wilks. Also, some strange anomalies such as Lucy, William’s wife, dying nine years before his 17-month-old daughter dies; I can only assume he re-married. Plus, it’s strange that Connie is buried in a grave away from the rest of the family and that Ida is buried under the surname Bunting but with all other details matching the Wilkes family including being in the same grave – W180c. If he re-married this might explain why he’s not in the same grave as Lucy but there is no second wife in the grave he is in.

WILKS Connie Buried: 23 Oct 1930 Age:9 dau of William 72 Stovin Rd
Grave No. X170c

WILKS Dorothy Buried: 22 May 1920 Age:17m dau of William 72 Stovin Rd
Grave No. W180c

WILKS Hannah Buried: 11 Mar 1924 Age:18 dau of William 72 Stovin Rd
Grave No. W180c

WILKS Lucy Buried: 19 Feb 1911 Age: 31 wife of William 72 Stovin Rd
Grave No. W180c

WILKS Tom Buried: 23 Nov 1926 Age: 11m son of William 72 Stovin Rd
Grave No. W180c

BUNTING Ida Buried: 7 Sep 1927 Age:15 dau of William 72 Stovin Rd
Grave No. W180c

Carol

Hi Carol

thanks for all the effort you have put into this. I can't wait to tell him the latest news. (will have to wait until tomorrow morning now though). Unfortunately I don't know anything about his family it was just that in passing he mentioned that he'd been unable to find where Stanley was buried and I knew someone on this site would be willing to help.

thanks again

Jenny

There is a map of tinsley park cemetery on this site. Look in burials, go up to the top line and click on maps, then choose tinsley park. I have found a few headstones at tinsley park cemetery. I think there is also a map in the entrance to the cemetery.

Hi Christine

thanks for the heads up about the cemetery plans.

Jenny

John,
Could I hijack this post as I am having a similar problem identifying a plot in Tinsley Park Cemetery. I need the location of plot 139 in section Mc Tinsley Park Cemetery. I think I've worked out where it is from the graves that have markers, but there are a lot of unmarked plots in the area and I would like to verify my assumptions.
Thanks