Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Address of the Ecclesall District Register Office in 1929

I think this location question may have been asked before.

My grandparents were married in 1929, the certificate states that they were married at The District Register Office, in the District of Ecclesall Bierlow.

Does anyone know the address of the building which housed this office in 1929?

Thank you

Leipzig

Re: Address of the Ecclesall District Register Office in 1929

If I remember correctly there used to be a Register Office at the corner of Crookes Rd, Witham Rd & Fulwood Rd.

Looking at a current map I believe it was where there is now a sports ground. There was a pub on the corner. Can't remember its name very popular with the Student crowd. The general area is called Broomhill.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

From this site - search directories for Joseph Albert Beard in 1925 - the address was 31 Union Road, Nether Edge. His daughter Laura was Deputy Superintendent Registrar.

Have a nosey round it here:
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=49348972&sale=70113732&country=england

31 Union Road was also the address of the Ecclesall Bierlow Union Offices, opposite the entrance to the former workhouse (often known by its address of 32 Union Road).

There were several registrars in sub-districts of Ecclesall Bierlow, but only a minority were registrars of marriages. I would guess that Register Office marriages would only take place in Union Road.

Hugh

Thank you Elaine, Ted and Hugh the replies have been very helpful.

Kind regards

Leipzig