Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MARY ADWICK

I am looking for a Mary Adwick born c1815 in France or Belgium she was the wife of George Wheatcroft they married 26 - 07 - 1848 in Rotherham FHL No 1470526 her fathers name is given as
John Adwick. I have found a John Adwick born 25 - 04 - 1781 in Worksop Nottinghamshire and died 13 - 03 - 1853 in Worksop. Vol 15 Page 493. his wife Mary Purttis was born 1794 in Athlone Westmeath Ireland and died Jan - Mar - 1851 in Worksop Vol 15 Page 493. I have not found any record of Mary's birth or any record of John & Mary's marriage could they have married in Ireland?.
My very best wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft.

Re: MARY ADWICK

Mary born in FRANCE info from 1851 census

Did you see the biography of John Adwick uploaded by his descendant Susan Runham at https://www.theonlinebookcompany.com/OnlineBooks/Waterloo/Celebrations/DescendantsStories/6 ?

He had quite a life story. Mary must have gone along with the army to Waterloo as a camp follower. Of course Belgium didn't exist yet in 1815 so Brussels was at the time technically part of the Netherlands.

He had served in Ireland so it's quite likely that he married there.

Cheers,

Andrew P.

If that link doesn't work for you, do a web search for JOHN ADWICK WATERLOO and you'll find it and another document which says that John's daughter Mary was born in Brussels just as soon as the army arrived there for the battle against Napoleon. John was wounded in the battle, so with it being in a war zone and with dad out of action for a while records of her birth might be a bit scanty. Don't know how the people who wrote the articles got their information.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Hi Fred

Thanks to Jenny ... this marriage transcription from FMP may be worth further investigation.

John Adwick to Mary Purcell 18 Sep 1814 MOY

Vicki

Vicki, perhaps you and any other experienced transcribers cancheck on the PURTTIS name.The origin of the name Purtiss in this history is a baptism of one of their other children James Adwick baptised 1824 Worksop. The original record is on FMP.
There are 8 detailed baptisms written by the same man so it is possible to compare how he writes certain letters. Consistently his I and e differ only in the dot over the I (look at his rendition of Ribekah) and his cross of the t is always long. For the u and r look at his February
I believe he wrote PURTLES not PURTTIS.
Purtles is phonetically close to Purcell.
Dave

Edit. On line there are several articles by people of Irish origin with the name Purcell. They insist that their name should be pronounced with emphasis on the first syllable, ie PURSE-ill not Purse-ELL

The baptismal record for James Adwick

First name(s) James
Last name Adwick
Birth year 1824
Birth date 02 Nov 1824
Baptism year 1824
Baptism date 14 Nov 1824
Place Worksop
Denomination Wesleyan Methodist
Father's first name(s) John
Mother's first name(s) Mary
County Nottinghamshire

On the original entry rather than the Transcript (Hard to read by the way) her surname is spelt. Purittis. Will send you a copy and you can decipher for yourself Dave.

Often in the old registers it may look like a number of ("i"'s dots) but the dots are from pages underneath or the next page or just deterioration of the paper.

Vicki I am sure does not have FMP. Moira does and her eyes are better than mine. LOL.
We are mostly in our 70's so can be excused for that problem.

Elaine.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Bridge Street Chapel (Wesleyan), Worksop.
James the son of John Adwick Laborer of Worksop and of Mary his Wife, who was
the daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Purittis, was born Nov the second 1824 and
solomley Baptized with the water in the name of ....? Son of Holy Ghod (sic)
November the fourteenth 1824.

Moira.

Moira, look carefully at the name. It is not a double t. It is tl but the cross on the t goes through the l.
Also look at his spelling of Ribekah and wife(several times). In the purttis name there is no dot on the I so it is one of his e s. He is consistent. I without positive dot is his e.
Dave

Hi Dave,

I think we are going to disagree on this one, a lot of his 'e' letters hardly raise
up at all. If we use your spelling it would be 'Puritles'. I still think it is an
'i' before the last letter 's'. I have to say his writing is terrible.

Moira.

Moira et al,
I agree that the handwriting of the Minister, Benjamin Wood, is dreadful. However, he has recorded a total of 10 baptisms (8 on that page and 2 on the previous page) and his poor writing (and poor spelling) is very consistent, and because of that it is actually possible to very easily and accurately transcribe all his baptisms. The surname he wrote for Mary's mother Elizabeth has been assumed to be Purttis for a long time (see the story that Andrew provided the link to).
Like you, at first glance I can also read it as Purittis, but that is clearly wrong because the Ministers R consistently looks like RI, so what looks like RI is actually his strange R. Clearly the earlier transcribers had spotted that idiosyncrasy.
There is no doubt in my mind that the Minister wrote PURTLES in his strange hand.
If you take his renditions of the words FoURTeenth and CharLESworth on the same page in the FMP record and put together a capital P then the URT of FoURTeenth followed by the LES of CharLESworth you reproduce EXACTLY the word he wrote. This proves conclusively that if he wrote PURTLES then you would see the word that looks like PURTTIS
I have done that piecing together of the word and will happily provide a copy to anyone who wants it. Alternatively I can supply a link to it here if I can sort out Dropbox on my recently acquired Windows 10

Putting together many facts from this story also provides more evidence for the PURTLES.
John Adwick was in the 32nd Foot regiment which was in Ireland in September 1914.
Vicki has reported a marriage in Ireland of John Adwick to Mary PURCELL in Sept 1814.
The 32nd foot fought at Waterloo in Jun 1815 and John and Mary s daughter Mary was born in Brussels just before the battle (nine months after that wedding in Ireland).
John and Mary had several more children in England, and it is the baptism of son James in 1824 in Worksop, which leads to the PURTISS for Marys maiden name.

An online forum in 2011 has a discussion on the name PURCELL. Here are 2 extracts
"Susan Purcell said... Thank you, Professor Crystal. Very interesting, especially as my surname is Purcell. That's my married name, acquired from an Irish husband. Over nearly 30 years I have got used to pronouncing my name with the stress on the second syllable in the UK (otherwise people think I'm talking about the washing powder, Persil) and with the stress on the first syllable when I'm in Ireland.
Angie Purcell said... I am a Purcell of Irish-American descent. We pronounce our name with stress on the first syllable , sounds very much like PURSE-ill. Most people who do not share the family name pronounce it pur-CELL with stress on the second syllable, it drives me nuts."

So if we put this together with the perfectly fitting John Adwick Mary Purcell marriage in Ireland with the baptism of James Adwick in 1824 we have the Minister, whose handwriting and spelling were appalling, scribbling with his pencil in his pocket book the maiden name PURcell spoken to him in an Irish accent. It is easy to see how Purcell (pronounced Persil) became PURTLE or similar. Of course he later transferred his pencil notes to the register using his quill. Did he mistranscribe his own terrible scribbling and add an S?
Adwick is not a common name. I think there is no doubt that the marriage reported by Vicki is the marriage that Fred is looking for, and that Mary's maiden name was Purcell, pronounced Persil (so like Purtle)
Dave

Hi Dave, Fred at al,

Just to throw some more fat into the fire, I was recently on a website that had many. many Irish surnames and origins (sorry can't remember which it was.) The listings they had for the letter P, then PUR are as follows:-

PURCELL,
PURSELL
PURTILL
PURTELL
PURTON
PURDIE

All Irish surnames.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Wendy, thanks. Maybe another explanation is that her name really was Purtell, heard in Worksop as Purtle, and the ireland marriage in 1814 WAS PURTELL mistranscribed as Purcell.
Either way, the marriage fits the baptism.
Dave