Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thomas Wilde

Hi,I made the stupid mistake of making a note and didn't reference where I had taken it from.
Thomas Wilde born 5.2.1837 buried Jan 1892, abode/place of death Rivelin Paper Mill Yard.
I had wrote this note as a possible child of Elizabeth and William Wilde who married 25 December 1833. I knew they had a Thomas from 1841 census when they are living at Dove Houses but then the trail ran cold, never found a baptsim to confirm birth date either.
Fast forward several months when I picked up my files again, and found that following the death of William, Elizabeth had a second marriage to Samuel Hinde (John, I found the headstone at Fulwood!)so was then looking for a death for Elizabeth Hinde - found that, with confirmation from the lovely people on here,
Elizabeth Hinde born 1812 buried 16 Jan 1892 at All Saints Ecclesall. Abode/place of death Rivelin Paper Mill Yard. Then came across my Thomas note and thought Bingo! But no - I have checked on this site, FMP and FamilySearch but no luck. If anyone has Ancestry could they check on there for me as I used to have a subscription so maybe I took it from there. If not, I'll scrap it.
I've learned my lesson though and now reference every possible/maybe/not sure information I find.
Many thanks,
Claire

Re: Thomas Wilde

Could you please enlighten me to where Dove Houses were and glad you found the headstone. Hope it gave you new information

Hi John,
Lots of info on the headstone, not directly my line as a second marraiage, but still fed into the info I had on my relatives, so very helpful.
The census just says Dove Houses, Ecclesall Bierlow but the road prior is Greystones Road. On 1891 census Elizabeth Hinde(formerly Wilde) is living with daughter Ann Mosely and family, most of the family are working with paper - papermaker, paper sorter etc so presuming a paper factory in that area. They are living at Coppice, Bradfield, Wortley - I beleive the Moselys are buried at Stannington. My geography is poor but I believe these areas are close to one another. My note points to Thomas being Elizabeths son but other than this note, the 1841 census, possibly an apprentice in 1851 and also possibly a witness at brother Williams marriage in 1859 I have nothing.
Claire

Thanks Claire now I shall see if I can try and find a baptism for him

Thomas WILD son of William and Elizabeth baptised 5th Feb 1837 at Ecclesall All Saints William was a grinder.

Hi John,
Thats great, many thanks, where did you find that?
William was a grinder and the baptsim date matches what I have for his birth on my note, so thinking my note must be right, just don't know where I got it from. I'll put it on my look up list when the Arhives are back open to check the burial.
Thanks again,
Claire.

I have a baptism cd which I purchased from S&DFHS.

Thanks for that John, his 3 siblings were all baptised at Sheffield Parish Church and are on here but I couldn't fine Thomas, now I know why, for some reason he was baptised at All Saints.

Claire,

Have you checked out our Baptisms, I have seen that address before(Rivelin Paper Mill) in the St Nicholas Bradfield registers. We are still working on them so not sure we have upload where I have got to.

Dove houses is no linger there I believe it was off Greystones Road BUT just can't pinpoint it at the moment. There used to be a movie theater and I believe the Road used to be in that General area.

Dove Houses.. Some of my Dungworths lived there. I did have a photo of the people and houses who lived in the yard. I believe I got it from Picture Sheffield My Dungworths were scissor Smiths but I believe that Dove Houses were in a Courtyard and called a Tanners Yard.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Many thanks for the advice Elaine, it has led me to baptisms of the children belonging to Ann and John Mosely. Ann is the daughter of Elizabeth and sister to Thomas.
All children baptised at Christ Church Stannington and one does state 'of Rivelin Paper Mill' so definitely all connects.
I will check out Picture Sheffield for photos.
Thanks again,
Claire

Hi Claire
Dove Houses were just off what is now Greystones Road.
I believe the houses at the top end of Louth Road, off Greystones Rd, were built more or less on Dove Houses.

Steve

Many thanks Steve and Elaine for info on Dove Houses, there is a great photo on picture Sheffield which I will print and add to my file.
It says:
Dove Houses, Dove Lane, Greystones, between what are now Louth and Peveril Roads, off Greystones Road
Claire

The paper mill was at Third Coppice Wheel, Rivelin. There are several photos at PictureSheffield.

Hugh