Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Joseph Ibbotson born 1801

I have found the record of Josephs marriage to Matilda Hobson and her parents, but unfortunately I am struggling to find the correct parents for Joseph Ibbotson. Any help would be appreicated.

Re: Joseph Ibbotson born 1801

Questions and observations.

How do you know he was born in 1801.

Where did the marriage take place and in what year.

Is he on the 1841 census.

NO Joseph Ibbotson born 1801 on FMP.

Lots of Ibbotsons in Bradfield.

Elaine in Ottawa.

This is a baptisms from St Nicholas Bradfield

Ibbotson, Matilda (of Asp Sands, born ~).
Baptised April 8, 1832, by W Gill at St Nicholas, Bradfield.
Parents name(s) are Matilda & Joseph (Cutler).

Instant Messenger: Skype

I found Joseph, Matilda and their family on the 1841 census, where they zare living in Worral, Ecclesfield and it gives his age as 40. He does have a daughter called Matilda on the census, who is 9 and born in 1832. The marriage I have found between Joseph and Matilda Hobson took place at Sheffield Cathedral on the 29th December 1824.

Hi Cathie et al,

On Family Search website there is a record plus image of a
JOSEPH IBBOTSON- Baptized 18th Oct/1801 in Ecclesfield, it also records a birth of 28th September,(no year)
father is JOSEPH IBBOTSON area of residence; WADSLEY.
Looking at the other images on that page, only a few birth dates were recorded so I am assuming birth and baptism dates are for the same year in this instance.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Hi Cathie

Joseph & Matilda were my 2nd Great Grandparents. Joseph was born 1796 and christened 1st Sept 1802, christening record says John as Father.... "John Ibbotson & Mary Marshall". Are you related ?

David

Hi Wendy/Cathy,

That was the one I had picked out. Think we need to flesh him out a little more.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Cathie, Elaine and Wendy
Joseph (farmer) is reported as 40 in 1841 and a farmer. His wife MATILDA is with him as well as children. In 1851 the family is at Hagstones Oughtibridge where Matilda is a Widow and farmer and the children match. The death for Josaeph which matches this is 1849 Oughtibridge age 52 (FMP). This would make him 44 in 1841 (rounded down to 40). So he was born around 1797, not 1801
See the post from David Ibbotson
Dave

Hi DaveT,

That was what I had found also but I wanted to make sure that Cathie didn't have more information that we were not privy too.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi All,
I had found the 1841 and 1851 census. I have found an 1861 census, which lists their son Joseph as an anvil smith, rather than a joiner and wheelwright. He is living at Hermatige Street, Ecclesfield, with his family. There is a Zacherial Ibbotson, who is listed as his brother in law, and could be the brother of his wife Martha, whose maiden name was Antcliffe and had a brother named Zacherial. Also, there is a William Ibbotson whose birth year is 1848 and is listed as Joseph Ibbotson`s nephew. However, I cannot find either a William Ibbotson or Antcliffe whose birth year matches 1848. Mary Ibbotson, the daughter of Joseph and Martha, was my 2xgreatgrandmother.
Many thanks for the help so far.
Cathie

Hi Cathie

Are you saying that the Joseph, anvil smith on the 1861 is Joseph & Matilda's son? Joseph is with his widowed mother Matilda on the 1861 as a farmer of Haggstones. Joseph Jnr married Angelina Worrall, unless I have got it completely wrong!!

Hi David,
I think its me that has got the wrong parents for Joseph Ibbotson the anvil smith. Both my second cousin and I Joseph the anvil smith as common ancestor. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Cathie