Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hinde burials

Hi, my ggg grandma Elizabeth married Samuel Hinde but they are buried in different places. Elizabeth at All Saints, Ecclesall and Samuel at Christ Church, Fulwood. It was a second marriage for both. Samuels first wife Ruth is also buried at Fulwood. I would like to find out if Samuel is buried with Ruth and/or with anyone else. Likewise if anyone is with Elizabeth. Her first husband was William Wilde and I have two possible deaths for him SQ 1844 and SQ 1846 but can’t be sure on either. Both these burial grounds don’t appear to be on here, the info I have is from FMP. Is there anywhere else I can check who are in these plots or do I need to wait to visit the archives?
Samuel Hinde buried 30 June 1880
Elizabeth Hinde buried 16 Jan 1892
Ruth died 1854
Many thanks.

Re: Hinde burials

Hi Claire,

The National Burial Index in most cases had dates from the registers some as early as the 1500's to about 1910. That was completed by Sheffield & District Family History Society.

Their page will give you what is covered and can be bought on a CD or Downloadable from either them or GENFAIR.

Hope this helps.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Not sure if this helps you but on a cd I have it show that Ruth's surname is spelt without the "e" this might be to do with either a transcription error or it could have been splet that way by the person performing the burial it does not say if they are in the same grave but if you have to go to the archives just be wary on the spelling.

It might be worth emailing them to see if they can help. Some years ago I contacted them on another matter and they were very helpful indeed.

Hi Claire
There are two burials listed at Ecclesall for William Wilde:

Buried 28 January 1844 aged 45, address: Ecclesall
Buried 11 July 1844 aged 36, address: Ecclesall.

The records I have do not show who else, if anyone, is buried in the graves.

There are no burials in the 1840s at Ecclesall for William Wild, so that rules out variant spelling.

At Fulwood, Ruth Hind of Nether Green buried 16 January 1854, again no indication of who else may be in the grave.

Steve

At Ecclesall All Saints
William Wilde age 36 buried 11 July 1844 Address Ecclesall
There is no William Wild(E) buried at this churchyard in !846

Elizabeth Hinde age 80 buried 16 Jan 1892 Address Rivelin Paper Mill Yard

At Christ Church Fulwood
Samuel Hinde age 70 buried 30 June 1880 Address Nether Green
Ruth Hind age 39 buried 16 June 1852 address Nether Green
Dave

Hi,
Many thanks for the advice Elaine. I have a very old copy of the national burial index on CDS but unable to get it to load, maybe its had its day. I did have some printed sheets for Wild(e)'s but couldn't find my guy on them.
Many thanks for the info on the Hinde name John, on the 1861 census it was transcribed as Hnide but clearly Hinde on the original so obviously a typing error, but made it difficult to find orginally.
Many thanks for the info Steve, thats interesting, I didn't have the second death in 1844 as on GRO it is under Wild and all documents at this time I've found to be Wilde.
The only reference to age I have for William at present is 1841 census where he is 35, I know they rounded ages up/down, not sure which so age 36 or 45 in 1844?? They don't always get them right though upon death so I will check them both when I can get to the archives. John, you mentioned emailing them but I doubt they would be working right now, I think I would enjoy a visit when able to.
Many thanks for your help.

Claire, sorry for the confusion I meant email Fulwood Christ church to see if they can help you. Even if they say the records are at the archives. John

Many thanks Dave, I think I can discount the 1846 death for now for William. Can I double check on your info for Ruth Hind(e) as I have Jan 1854 as burial date.
Thanks for the clarification John, I hadn’t thought of emailing the church, I will do that.

Claire, my apologies. Could not read my owqn handwriting. I can confirm Ruth Hind 16 Jan 1854
Dave

No problem at all Dave, again many thanks.

Hi, just wanted to thank John for the suggestion to email Christ Church at Fulwood. I did this yesterday and I received a very detailed reply today. Ruth and Samuel are in the same plot, along with several other family members, and there is a monument! The lovely lady has provided all names, plot number and a map so I will be paying a visit as soon as I’m able. Wonderful advice with a fabulous result, many thanks.
Claire

No need to say thank you, we are all in the same boat regarding both covid and trying to solve our family trees. If you are strggling to get to Fulwood due to restrictions or you live too far away let me know as I only live 10 minutes away from the church and I might be able to find time to nip down and photograh it for you.

John S
No need to say thank you, we are all in the same boat regarding both covid and trying to solve our family trees. If you are strggling to get to Fulwood due to restrictions or you live too far away let me know as I only live 10 minutes away from the church and I might be able to find time to nip down and photograh it for you.
Thank you for the offer John, again that is very kind. I'm not that far away so will try and make the trip - a change of scenery! But if I struggle to locate it I may come back to you.
Claire

No problem but if you have detailed maps you should be ok, just make sure you are in decent footware especially if you have to walk between headstones to see yours.