Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
William Warburton

Hi,

William Warburton was baptized 23/6/1675 Wickersley. He became a cutlers apprentice in Sheffield and was a cutler/razorsmith in Neepsend. He might have died in 1735. I am trying to find the name of his wife. There is a possible marriage in 1702, both in Ecclesfield and Laughten en le Morthen, to a Hannah Roberts or Robertson. Which of these is the correct surname, and are there any other possible marriages for him?

I am also trying to find the wife of his son William Warburton jr. (probably baptized 31/1/1713) who also became a cutler. He seems to have had had sons Samuel (who finished a cutlers apprenticeship in 1770) and Thomas (who finished his apprenticeship in 1775.)

Heths

Re: William Warburton

Hi Heather,
The marriage in 1702 is on Family Search with an image also.
The wife is Hanah Roberts although it looks like Robertson but if you look at all the other marriages, they all end with a form of &on.... which refers to the day of the marriage in the next column.
Also on Family Search there is a marriage record for a William Warburton born 1712, married 7th March 1733 at Hatfield to an Elizabeth Pearson.

On Genuki website for the Laughton en le Morthen area, there are a number of Warburton's. There is a James Warburton who marries on the 8th Oct,1598 to Annes(?) Leaper and one of their children is a William, baptized 16th Jan/1603.
I know it is a generation before the one you are researching but there could be a link..??

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Re: William Warburton

Hi Wendy,

Many thanks!
The apprentice record for the older William said his father was Thomas, a husbandman of Wickersley.
I’d found a baptism in Wickersley for Thomas and a 1685 burial there for his wife Margaret, but no marriage for them in Wickersley.
I checked out the Laughton-en-le-Morthen transcriptions which you mentioned, and there was the marriage of Thomas to Margaret!
One happy bunny here! :)

Heths.