Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Baptism in 1748

Hi everyone,
I'm stuck on trying to find a baptism for a Joseph Oldale (Ouldale) supposedly in Sheffield in 1748. Family Search (IGI) show his parents as John/Jonathan Oldale and Mary but the only ones of that name are living in Harthill (died in Harthill too).

I've looked on this site and although it says the Cathedral baptisms would show up in 1748 they all seem to be way after this date, am I doing something wrong, can anyone point me in the right direction. This Joseph was in Sheffield in 1771 because he married an Hannah Housley in the Cathedral, just can't find his baptism.

Re: Baptism in 1748

Hi Wendy,

Can you give us a bit more information please.

Where did Hannah come from?
When and where they died.

I can't find the marriage on Family Search.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Note. Could this be Hannah? St Mary's Ecclesfield.

1 Jul 1746 HOWSLEY Hannah Jos Grenoside

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine,
Hannah could have originated in Ecclesfield. They married on 4th January 1871 at Sheffield Cathedral. Stated he was a bachelor of the parish and Hannah spinster of same. Doing this from memory but think he died 1803. All info from FMP.
Wendy

Hi Wendy et al,

There is a baptism on this excellent website for
HANNAH HOUSLEY of Sheffield
Baptized at Sheffield Parish Church on May 27, 1747
Just the father is shown, Robert (occupation cutler)
There are two other siblings with possible same father
John Housley Baptized SPC, June 8, 1748
George ditto May, 18th 1750
NO BIRTH DATES ARE GIVEN. No luck with John so far.

HAPPY HUNTING :sleuth_or_spy:

Hi Elaine,
My thoughts are that John was possibly from Harthill(Worksop, Dinnington Aston etc.) His parents Joseph and Mary lived and died in Harthill and their children were baptised in Harthill but no mention of John. The only reference to his parents were on the family search with his marriage and death parents stated as Joseph and Mary, Sheffield. All the children of Joseph and Mary either married or died in the Harthill, Dinnington, and Thorp Salvin. Strange that John ended up in Sheffield.
Wendy

Wendy, Joseph went to sheffield when he was about 13 yrs old to become a cutler. His apprenticeship is in the Apprentices and Freemen file over to the left here.
It says:
OLDALE, Joseph so John, Harthill, lab. To (1) Gillott Hy c 8-4 1761; (2) Pass, John c. I-I0 1767 F1780.

This means he started his apprenticeship with Gillott but he transferred to Pass
in 1767.
He must have carried on working , presumably for Pass, for a few years after he completed his apprenticeship. He later, in 1780, decided to purchase his freedom, ie go out on his own.
Dave

Thankyou Dave, at least that confirms the link to Harthill and Sheffield. I can move on from there now.

Thankyou Elaine too.
Wendy

Joseph, son of John OUDLE is mentioned as baptised in 1748 in Harthill as are other fmaily members, Genuki has excellent coverage of the areas around too including Anston etc.

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Harthill

09 10 1748 Joseph OUDLE John Son Labourer

Thankyou Richard tried every which way of Oldale. Most were either spelled that way or Ouldale. Have had Odall but never thought of Oudle. Will take a look at the site as well.

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for the enlightenment.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy: