Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sarah Whitaker, in Sheffield in 1851 but where was she born?

In the 1851 census there is a Whitaker family in Sheffield, living in Bower Street: Sarah Whitaker Head W 61 born Essex ???, Charles Whitaker Son N 40 born Ireland, Emma Whitaker Daughter N 15 born Sheffield, John Wilson Son-in-Law M 21 born Sheffield, Elizabeth Wilson Daughter M 22 born Sheffield and Thomas Wilson Grandson N 7M born Sheffield.

Sarah was born around 1789 and died in 1868 (buried in Burngreave alongside her son Charles and some other family members).

I’d like to know Sarah’s place of birth but I cannot read it on the census form (I can read “Essex” but not the town or parish name next to it).

FMP says “Wenlah” but I can’t find that in Essex.

I did check the 1841 and 1861 censuses - no joy (1841: “Y”, 1861: “Essex”).

Could someone with skills in reading old handwriting find her in the 1851 census and tell me what it really says?

Or maybe you’re really good at working out what she said versus what the enumerator wrote down?

Any help is appreciated,

Ta very much,

Andrew.

Re: Sarah Whitaker, in Sheffield in 1851 but where was she born?

Andrew,
It is clear that the enumerator was not the best at spelling, and he rarely dotted his I
I am not very good with the Essex accent but I suggest it could be a distortion of WEELEY, which is about 11 miles west and slightly south of Colchester
Dave

Brilliant! Thanks Dave.

That was spot on. I just found out that Weeley had a big barracks in the Napoleonic era, which would explain how Sarah married someone from Sheffield.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew, thanks, and thanks for not mentioning my directional error. It should have been east not west.
Dave

Andrew, are you aware of the following marriage at Weeley St Andrew?
James Whitaker to Sarah Bocking by Banns on 11 Nov 1809
Dave

Dave,

Thanks very much for looking at that - I just found that information this morning, but only because you gave me the place name Weeley.

I think that if James was in the army at that time it might also explain why their son Charles was born in Ireland (Newry). their other children were born in Sheffield.

Thanks again, I'd better stop looking at this just now and get back to working from home.

Cheers,

Andrew.