Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Marriage Look Up

Hi
I have been trying to find the marriage of Thomas Wynne dob 1797 place of birth London Borough and Ann ? (spouse) born in Staffordshire. They are on the 1841 Census
as living in Hayes, Radnorshire, Wales with their daughter Mary Ann Wynne dob 1836.

I have searched parish records but without success. Trying to find the parents of
Thomas Wynne and thought if I could find their marriage record it may mention them.

I would be grateful if someone could help as I have been stuck here for some years.

Re: Marriage Look Up

Hi Heather,

Our expertise is the Sheffield area of Yorkshire.

I had a quick look at FMP and the 1841 census and could not turn this couple up at all.

Radnorshire looks to be in the County of Powys but my knowledge of that area is very very limited.

You might be better getting touch with one of the Welsh Family History Groups.
Come forward before you go back.

Elaine in Ottawa Canada.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Heather, Did they have any children after 1937 if so you could look on the GRO site for thier birth in Wrexham and find the mothers maiden name. Regards Barry

Hi Heather, How sure are you about his place of birth and the 1841 census? like Elaine i cannot find this record. The closest i have come to him is in Gloucestershire. Born 1798 in Kings Areley, Gloucestershire. Regards Barry

Hi Heather,

I can't find the 1841 census either. Think this is the 1851....
1851 Tavern Trap. Hay, Breconshire, Wales.
Thomas Wynne, head, mar, 54 (1797), Hawker, born London, Borough.
Anne Wynne, wife, 50 (1801), born Stafford.
Mary Anne Wynne, dau, 15, (1836), born Presteigne, Radnorthshire.

There are also seven lodgers, surnames Stephens and Gordon.

Struggling to find anything on this family, not even able to find a baptism
for Mary Anne born 1836.

Moira.

1841 census, Taven Tap, Hay, Breconshire, Wales.
Ann Wynne, 40, Shoemaker, not born in county.
Mary Wynne, 6, not born in county.

The above address is very similar to the 1851 census address.
No Thomas on the 1841 census and I can't find him anywhere else.

Moira.

Moira, does the 1841 census list any more children? Hence to help with maiden name.

Moira, please can you check this to see what you think.

Using FMP...Name Thomas Wynn.....use variants

Year of birth 1797....where staffordshire

in record set type Staffordshire marriages.....scroll down

1826 Thomas WINN married 19 Jun 1826 at Wednesbury Ann FISHER

What do you think?

Hi John,

On the 1841 census, there are no more children with Ann and Mary.

I had already seen the marriage between Thomas Winn and Ann Fisher and
thought it might be a good match, but how to prove it?
It took place on the 19 June 1826 at St Bartholomew's, Wednesbury, Staffordshire.
Witnesses: John Allen and Elizabeth Rodgers.

There are two baptisms that would fit Ann Fisher.
23 Aug 1801, St Nicholas, Abbots Bromley, Staffordshire, parents William and Hannah.
7 November 1802, Stafford, parents Joseph and Sarah.

I have tried to find Mary Anne Wynne (b 1836/7) after the 1851 census, but have had no luck so far.

Moira.

What about Mary Anne Wynne marrying Edward Lucas at Stone St Michael on 12 Mar 1856 father of Mary Anne was Thomas Wynne your thoughts?

John S
What about Mary Anne Wynne marrying Edward Lucas at Stone St Michael on 12 Mar 1856 father of Mary Anne was Thomas Wynne your thoughts?
Mary Ann Wynne definitely married Thomas Harrison and they lived in Wednesbury Staffordshire. My grandfather Philip Harrison was their son.

Hi John,

We seem to be following the same trail. I saw this marriage as well but I
discounted it because of the father Thomas Wynne being an Inspector of Coal Mines,
whereas on the 1851 census in Wales, Thomas Wynne is a Hawker.

Moira.

Heather Jenkinson
John S
Mary Ann Wynne definitely married Thomas Harrison and they lived in Wednesbury Staffordshire. My grandfather Philip Harrison was their son.
Moira has the correct family living at Tavern Trap in 1851. Thomas Wynne the father is the person l am trying to trace. Stuck at the 1851 census. On the census it states that he comes from London Borough but l don't seem to be able to find his birth to clarify who his parents were. I have also seen that Thomas Wynne was a hawker but on Mary Ann's marriage certificate it states that Thomas Wynne is a shoemaker. There is a connection with Thomas Wynne to Watkins William Wynne who was a Baron and l would love to find how this comes about.

When did your Mary Ann Wynne marry Thomas Harrison and where please?

Hi John,

I finally found the marriage this morning.

Wednesbury, Staffordshire, 5 February 1855.
Thomas Harrison, 24, bat, Blacksmith, Wednesbury, father, Joseph Harrison, finback? filer.
Mary Ann Whynn, 20, of Wednesbury, father, Thomas Whynn, shoemaker.
Witnesses: William Emberton and Eliza Harrison.

I was wondering if Thomas Wynne had died in Wales and Ann and Mary Ann had moved
back to Staffordshire to be near family, but on the marriage entry for Thomas and
Mary Ann, it does not say that father Thomas Whynn is deceased.

Heather, have you found the burials for Thomas Wynne and wife Ann?

Moira.

Moira Hyde
Hi John,

I finally found the marriage this morning.

Wednesbury, Staffordshire, 5 February 1855.
Thomas Harrison, 24, bat, Blacksmith, Wednesbury, father, Joseph Harrison, finback? filer.
Mary Ann Whynn, 20, of Wednesbury, father, Thomas Whynn, shoemaker.
Witnesses: William Emberton and Eliza Harrison.

I was wondering if Thomas Wynne had died in Wales and Ann and Mary Ann had moved
back to Staffordshire to be near family, but on the marriage entry for Thomas and
Mary Ann, it does not say that father Thomas Whynn is deceased.

Heather, have you found the burials for Thomas Wynne and wife Ann?

Moira.

Hi Moira
The marriage certificate l have of Mary Ann and Thomas Harrison has the exact same information as your findings. I haven't found the burial of Thomas Wynne but l did find the burial of Mary Ann aged 38. Stoke on Trent January 1873. Volume 6b Page 161.
Also l have brought up some time ago a christening of Thomas Wynne 23rd March 1801 At Sepulchre, London father James and Mother Margaret. No idea how to check if this is the correct Thomas Wynne or if in those days they would have christened a child at 5yrs old.

Hi Heather,

I think the burial you found must be wrong.

1911 census, 1in Yard School Street, Wednesbury, Staffs.
Thomas Harrison, 80, blacksmith, born Wednesbury.
Mary Ann Harrison, 75, born Presteign, Radnorshire.

Moira.

Possible death for Mary Ann

September Quarter 1924 Mary Ann Harrison aged 89 West Bromwich RD

John

Just a couple of thoughts:
Wynne is a very welsh name
In Borough, London, in the late 1790s there was a strong Welsh Congregational Chapel community in Gravel Lane.
It is not obvious that their baptisms are available anywhere
Dave

Moira Hyde
Hi Heather,

I think the burial you found must be wrong.

1911 census, 1in Yard School Street, Wednesbury, Staffs.
Thomas Harrison, 80, blacksmith, born Wednesbury.
Mary Ann Harrison, 75, born Presteign, Radnorshire.

Moira.
Hi Moira & John

You definitely have the correct family Moira but I am still no closer to finding the birth of Thomas Wynne dob 1796. (Mary Ann's father) I cannot see what else I can do.Any ideas would be welcome if you are unable to find anything either.

Thank you John for finding Mary Ann's death .

Dave T
Just a couple of thoughts:
Wynne is a very welsh name
In Borough, London, in the late 1790s there was a strong Welsh Congregational Chapel community in Gravel Lane.
It is not obvious that their baptisms are available anywhere
Dave
Hi Dave

Thank you for this very interesting information. I have never heard of this before. It would be useful if they did keep records somewhere!

Moira Hyde
Hi Heather,

I can't find the 1841 census either. Think this is the 1851....

for Mary Anne born 1836.

Moira.
Hi

This might not be relevant , but just in case Anne Wynne doesnt appear anywhere else...

Theres an 1861 census record for the Union Workhouse in Hay, Breconshire.

A W, Inmate, Widow, Female, aged 68, Hawker, Born Stafford

So if you ignore the age it sort of fits Anne Wynne ??

Denise

Denise
Moira Hyde
Hi Heather,

I can\'t find the 1841 census either. Think this is the 1851....

for Mary Anne born 1836.

Moira.
Hi

This might not be relevant , but just in case Anne Wynne doesnt appear anywhere else...

Denise
I don't think that the Mary Ann who ended up in the workhouse in 1861 is my ancester. My ancester married in Wednesbury in 1855. All the census back to 1851 are my ancesters but earlier than that and l can't seem to break through the brick wall. I keep wondering if the 1851 census may not be my ancesters even though the family fits the date of births l have. Any thoughts on that anyone?

Heather Jenkinson
Denise
Moira Hyde
Hi Heather,

I can\\\'t find the 1841 census either. Think this is the 1851....

for Mary Anne born 1836.

Moira.
Hi

Denise
I don't think that the Mary Ann who ended up in the workhouse in 1861 is my ancester. My ancester married in Wednesbury in 1855. All the census back to 1851 are my ancesters but earlier than that and l can't seem to break through the brick wall. I keep wondering if the 1851 census may not be my ancesters even though the family fits the date of births l have. Any thoughts on that anyone?
Hi Heather

I thought it might be Anne Wynne - Mary Anns mother ( as per the 1851 census). Not Mary Ann herself.

Denise

Denise
Heather Jenkinson
Denise
Moira Hyde
Hi Heather,

I can\\\\\\'t find the 1841 census either. Think this is the 1851....

for Mary Anne born 1836.

Moira.
Hi

Denise
Hi Heather

I thought it might be Anne Wynne - Mary Anns mother ( as per the 1851 census). Not Mary Ann herself.

Denise
I see now where you are coming from. I wonder if there is any way of proving that the Ann Wynne in the workhouse is my ancester?

Hi Heather et al,
As Elaine suggested, Powy's Archives may be a source for all things Welsh. Upon further investigation on Powy's website, all available Presteigne records are held at Hereford Archives, so you may have some success in finding out more about Mary Anne's parents through a baptism record. You would have to pay a researcher or go in person.

Dave's reference to Gravel Lane, Borough, being a Welsh community sounds promising. Borough was a name given to the area which was also known as Southwark. SE1. which I believe is Surrey.

As already pointed out in this thread, in 1841 there was an Ann Winn(Wyne)age 40(1801) occupation, shoemaker and a daughter Mary aged 6 (1835), no Thomas around, living in Hay, Breconshire.
Moira gave us info on Thomas being a shoemaker at Mary Anne's marriage in 1855., which I believe you, Heather confirmed all Moira's findings. Yet on the 1851 census we see him as a hawker..?? Maybe going through a bad patch, who knows.

It is also interesting but obviously quite irrelevant,knowing that Mary Anne's marriage was in 1855 in Staffs., there was a Thomas Harrison married a Mary Ann WYNN in 1852 at Lambeth, Surrey both with father's named Thomas.(Mary Anne would be 17.).
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

If there are any baptism records I would expect them to be at the Welsh Congregational Chapel on Southark Bridge Road. It was built in 1870 but by the earlier congregation which was in Gravel Lane
You should contact that chapel which is open daily.
Dave

Wendy what did the Thomas Winn do that married in 1852? just asking in case it is not on FMP

ps lust been looking on FMP I put in Wynn with variants year 1835 and where prestigne and nothing turning up regarding Mary Anne but that might mean that FMP have not done those records yet.

John S
ps lust been looking on FMP I put in Wynn with variants year 1835 and where prestigne and nothing turning up regarding Mary Anne but that might mean that FMP have not done those records yet.
I have emailed a Welch Congregational Church in London. So hoping they come back to me and with some information.

Hi John,
Sorry I do not have that information, my reference was from Family Search, if memory serves me well..??

Hi Dave,
I should have phrased my reply differently, it was Mary Anne's baptismal record I was referring to, she was born in Presteigne, Radnorshire (according to the 1851 census), so I thought there may be some helpful details about her parents Anne and Thomas on it. These records according to Powy's Archives are held at Hereford Archives. However they do not claim to have all records prior to the 1900's so it would be a hit or miss situation.

HAPPY HUNTNG:sleuth_or_spy:

To avoid confusion, my suggestion is potentially to find the baptism of Thomas Wynne in 1797 Borough, London
The Welsh Congregational Chapel there is active today on Southwark Bridge Road.
Dave

Dave T
To avoid confusion, my suggestion is potentially to find the baptism of Thomas Wynne in 1797 Borough, London
The Welsh Congregational Chapel there is active today on Southwark Bridge Road.
Dave
Hi Having some difficulty contacting someone at the Welsh Congregational Church, Southwick. No response from email and there is only one telephone number which is relating to the hire of the hall. Left a message there but as yet no response. If anyone can help l would be very grateful. I strongly feel that Thomas Wynne would have been christened here.

Heather it could be because of Covid19 that no one is answering your message. Just be patient and I am sure they will answer when able.

Having said that I would have expected all the registers to have been deposited in the local archives.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype