Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Confusion over Elizabeth Dodson

Born Sheffield registration 1893. Mmn is Cox. I have Elizabeth in the 1901 and 1911 census as parents Mary Ryan and George Dodson. I guess that Mary Ryan ( who was born out of wedlock and no father name) used her stepfather name, Henry Cox as her maiden name? But then other sibling jessie Dodson, born 1895 in Sheffield, has mmn as Ryan.
I just need maybe advice on if this is the correct Elizabeth Dodson?
Also, cannot trace her further. I have possible reason to believe she married and moved to Victoria Australia with John church. Or moved and married in Australia.

Re: Confusion over Elizabeth Dodson

Sarah,
It is clear from the 1901 and 1911 censuses that this couple had 4 daughters Lily, Ellen, Elizabeth and Jessie and they all check out on GROIndex. The first 3 have Mmn cox and the fourth mmn Ryan. 1911 census says the marriage had lasted 30 years and there were 4 children all living. If you have traced the mother back to illegit Mary Ryan who had a step father Cox then you have the perfect explanation already. Perhaps the first 3 were registered by one of Mary or George, and jessie by the other?
From FMP 20 yr old Elizabeth Dodson, a domestic, travelled 3rd class to Melbourne from London on the ship Commomwealth on 15th Oct 1914. She was unaccmpanied by a husband.
Dave

Dave T
Sarah,
It is clear from the 1901 and 1911 censuses that this couple had 4 daughters Lily, Ellen, Elizabeth and Jessie and they all check out on GROIndex. The first 3 have Mmn cox and the fourth mmn Ryan. 1911 census says the marriage had lasted 30 years and there were 4 children all living. If you have traced the mother back to illegit Mary Ryan who had a step father Cox then you have the perfect explanation already. Perhaps the first 3 were registered by one of Mary or George, and jessie by the other?
From FMP 20 yr old Elizabeth Dodson, a domestic, travelled 3rd class to Melbourne from London on the ship Commomwealth on 15th Oct 1914. She was unaccmpanied by a husband.
Dave
Thanks Dave. I guess I wanted reassurance that my research was ok. Thanks for finding the migration information

To add to the story.
Mary Ryan had previously married Joseph Howard in 1873, and their eldest child Wilfred was my grandma’s father.
The certificate for the Howard marriage gives her father as John Ryan, who was her grandfather.
That was most likely a white lie to hide her illegitimacy.
Joseph Howard died of strumous bronchitis at the age of 27, leaving her with 3 children.

So far I never found a baptism for Mary, in the name Ryan(s) or Cox.
The baptism of Wilfred says her name was Mary Anne.
After the death of Henry Cox in 1867, her mother Rosina married Alfred Edwin Rutherford.

Heths

PS - there were 4 more Dodson children who died in infancy.
You can find them in the burials on this site, all with address 34 Eyre Lane.
Mary’s grandmother Harriet Ryan (nee Auckland) was also buried from that same address.

Heths

Heather in Holland
PS - there were 4 more Dodson children who died in infancy.
You can find them in the burials on this site, all with address 34 Eyre Lane.
Mary’s grandmother Harriet Ryan (nee Auckland) was also buried from that same address.

Heths
Thanks Heather. So i guess we are related :grinning:

Heather in Holland
To add to the story.
Mary Ryan had previously married Joseph Howard in 1873, and their eldest child Wilfred was my grandma’s father.
The certificate for the Howard marriage gives her father as John Ryan, who was her grandfather.
That was most likely a white lie to hide her illegitimacy.
Joseph Howard died of strumous bronchitis at the age of 27, leaving her with 3 children.

So far I never found a baptism for Mary, in the name Ryan(s) or Cox.
The baptism of Wilfred says her name was Mary Anne.
After the death of Henry Cox in 1867, her mother Rosina married Alfred Edwin Rutherford.

Heths
Wilfred is my 2nd great Uncle. t was actually that side of the family that helped me build from a dna match on ancestry....

Hi Sarah, yes we must be related :kissing_heart:

Heths