Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SISTERS MARIA & EMMA wHEATCROFT

Has any one got any information regarding the two daughters of Thomas Wheatcroft& Hannah Taylor,
according to another researcher who I did write to to ask him about the sisters but unfortunately I have not had any reply from him.
The first sister Maria Wheatcroft born c1848 possibly in Ecclesall, I have searched the births records Ecclesall of 1784 - 1944 and the Sheffield birth records 1837 - 1856 she is not mentioned in either of these records so I am wondering if she did ever exist?.
The second sister Emma I have found that she was born Oct - Dec - 1851 - Ecclesall, She was still living with her parents in Nether Heeley in 1871. In 1881 her widowed mother Hannah was living alone at 33 Kent Road in Heeley.
This Gentleman who provided this information on the Ancestry site has really got me confused states that Hannah no surname given married a William Booth on 26 - 12 - 1837 in Derbyshire
and that his first child Margaret was born C1838. and then says Hannah Married Thomas Wheatcroft
who's first child Edwin was born 24 - 08 - 1938 in Ecclesall after this William had nine other Children was born between 1838 - 1850 and that Hannah died in Birchardville Pennsylvania in 1878 .
I do hope someone can make head or tail out of this.
My very best wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft.

Re: SISTERS MARIA & EMMA wHEATCROFT

Hi Fred,

To help you sort out your problem this is what you do.

**USE FreeBMD.**

The first child is Mary Ann Taylor WHEATCROFT. 1848
2nd Child Emma 1851.

Thats your answer.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Fred

I'd always add caution when looking at information on someones tree on Ancestry. There are a lot of mistakes which often then get 'copied' by others and never 'proven'.

Also, Ancestry has a habit of sometimes substituting UK locations with American ones at a top level, even though when you access the actual tree and information the location is correct as in the UK.

So when Thomas Wheatcroft married Hannah Taylor on 9 August 1837 she gave her status as 'Spinster' (obviously she could have just said that).But she couldnt then have married William Booth a few months, as Thomas and Hannah appear on a number of census records

Both their daughters Emma and Mary Ann are living with their parents on the 1861 and 1871 census records, but still looking for what happened to them after that.

There is a death for Hannah Wheatcroft B 1811, in 1882 in Sheffield - so that fits with Hannahs age on the census records and also given that you found her on the 1881 census. But no burial so far.

Hope thats a start to unpicking the problem.

Denise

There is a burial for a Hannah Wheatcroft in the C of E section in the General Cemetery it states she was 70 and a widow she died on 22nd Dec and was buried on 24th Dec grave N2 115 I hope this is your Hannah

Hi Fred

There are other burials in this grave and an MI
Death date/ Burial Date
N2 115 02-Nov 1946 07-Nov 1946 Marina Challenger aged 89, 31 Collegiate Crescent MIin grave
N2 115 17 Mar 1889 19 Mar 1889 Ruth Challenger aged 73, Widow, Huddersfield Road, Barnsley
N2 115 10-Nov 1939 14-Nov 1939 William Challenger aged 82, Bookseller, 195 Glossop Road MI in grave
N2 115 22 Dec 1882 24 Dec 1882 Hannah Wheatcroft aged 70 Widow, 5 Convent Walk MI

Angela

Fred
According to Free BMD Thomas Wheatcroft married Hannah Taylor in q4 1837.
According to GROIndex the following Wheatcroft children were born in Ecclesall Bierlow with mother maiden name Taylor:
Edwin 1838
Walles 1841 (Walter died 1848 age 7 in Ecclesall Bierlow)
Albert 1846 (died 1846)
Mary Ann Taylor 1848
Emma 1851

The 1851 census has Thomas, Hannah, Edwin and Mary A all together on Headford Street Ecclesall Bierlow

Dave