Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clarice Christian Stroer

Clarce was born in Derbyshire in 1897 daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth. By 1911 the family had moved to Oldham, in Lancs, and there in 1920 I believe she married a Willie Morley. The question is when did she die?

I can't find her on the 1939 register and I am sure she did not remarry but can't be certain and I have checked on FMP and she does not seem to have sailed the seas. Any help as always appreciated.

Thanks in advance

John

Re: Clarice Christian Stroer

A Clarice Christian Morley shows up on the New Zealand Electoral Rolls. Cannot go any further as I don't have Ancestry World Wide

Thank you Catherine, can you tell if Willie was with her as I do not use Ancestry

Electoral Registers 1935 (NZ)
32 Bangor Street, Christchurch East, Canterbury
MORLEY Clarice Christian married
MORLEY, William driver

Electoral Registers 1946
368 Oxford Terrace, Christchurch Central, Canterbury
MORLEY William driver
(at 396 , Roy William MORLEY, soldier and Iris Joan MORLEY, married)

Electoral Registers 1954
MORLEY William driver

Electoral Registers 1957
MORLEY William retired

Electoral Registers 1963
2 Barnett Avenue, Sydenham, Canterbury (NZ)
MORLEY William retired

Electoral Registers 1969
MORLEY Clarice C married
MORLEY William pensioner

Electoral Registers 1972
MORLEY Clarice Christian, widow

Electoral Registers 1978
48 Barnett Avenue, Sydenham, Canterbury (NZ)
MORLEY Clarice Christian, widow

Hugh

Fantastic Hugh thank you so much, can anyone enlighten me please when they sailed to NZ and when Clarice died

John, New Zealand immigration records are on Family Search
Dave

Hi John,
As Dave mentioned, Family Search does have an immigration sailing record, albeit limited in info, which MAY fit Willie and Clarice Christian Morley.
Mr.W. Morley (Engineer)English
Mrs. C.C. Morley (Housewife)English
Departed Southampton 1st March 1922 on board "Pakeha* or Pakela..?? owned by Shaw Savill and Albion Co. Ltd.
bound for Auckland, landing port: LYTTLETON.

Hugh mentioned on the 1946 NZ electoral register, a Roy William and Iris Joan Morley as a possible fit for the above couple's son and daughter in law.

I have not found a death record for Willie or Clarice. C. Morley but there is an obit for Iris Joan Morley who died 15 Jan 2006, Funeral Mass, at St.Thomas More Ch. Wilton, Wellington.NZ.
In the obit (which I found through a BING search but Google probably has it also)Roy William was referred to as the 'late" so, already deceased.

There is also another obit for a son of Roy.W. and Iris Joan, Christopher Gilbert Paul Morley, who died at Wellington Hospital, July 27/2018. this obit gives you the children of Roy William and Iris Joan Morley, which may help.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

A William Morley died in 1971aged 75years.

From the NZ Gov website. You have to buy a certificate for more information.

Anne

Wendy and Anne, thank you very much for your input. Very interesting. I presume when you refer to the family search website you mean the one by the LDS. if that is the case I must have done something wrong as I missed it.

Wendy,

Just for fun, the ship was called the Pakeha; she was built in 1910 by Harland and Wolff, and broken up in 1950 in Wales.

John could find pictures of her online if he's interested by searching for something like Shaw Savill Albion Pakeha

"Pakeha" in my (very old) dictionary means a European person living as a Maori, but it might have a different meaning today or no longer be politically correct.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi John

According to family trees on Ancestry, Clarice Christian Morley died on 28 March 1995 in Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand.

Sue

Thank you Sue

Hi John & Andrew,
For some reason, I did not receive any of the responses to my post, so I am a little tardy in my reply.

JOHN: Yes Family Search is LDS. Sorry I cannot remember what I typed in originally but if you try just W. Morley and New Zealand and nothing else.

ANDREW: Many thanks for clarifying the ship's name, it was difficult to read and for the added bonus of the interesting information about her history.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy: