Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
James Helliwell

Hi,

I'm struggling to trace the correct James Helliwell in my family tree, one of the problems I have is the different variations of the spelling of the surname, I've found on the census it's also spelt "hallewell" .....ok so what I do know is that he's on the Census 1901 living with my Great Great Grandparents(Cuthbert's) as a "boarder" and a bricklayer, he was born in 1878 and does confirm in sheffield but i'm struggling to place his parents, I did originally wonder if he wasn't from Sheffield as he was boarding, I know alot of people came to Sheffield to work, He went on to Marry "Emma Cuthbert"....I cannot locate their marriage records to see if his parents are listed, I have found a possible match in Stockbridge but not 100%....can anybody help?

Thank you

Laura

Re: James Helliwell

Laura,

When he married Emma Cuthbert on 4 April 1901 they both said that they lived at 54 George Lane. His dad is written down as Joseph Hellewell, bricklayer. Emma's dad is given as James Cuthbert, file cutter, deceased. Witnesses were Thomas Little and Sarah Bounds. James and Emma both had pretty nice handwriting I think. Thomas Little must have been the Tom Little who was also boarding with the Cuthberts.

Yet another spelling.. Hellewell / Helliwell / Hallewell ...

Cheers,

Andrew,

Hi Andrew thanks for your reply. The possible family I found he could potentially belong to listed the dad as "James" so I know now I was wrong....I will go on the hunt for a "joseph" Heliwell now...or hellewell or hallewell haha it may take me a while ...good job were in lockdown and i have too much time on my hands

Hi Laura,

Lots of Helliwells up in Bradfield and area. My own ex brother in law was a Helliwell.

Elaine in Ottawa.

From the Sheffield BMD Council Site.

District: Bradfield
Birth - 29/46
Details: James HELLIWELL - 01/01/1878

Note. It does look as if he signed HELLEWELL on his marriage certificate.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Laura, on 1891 census there is a Joseph Hallewell, bricklayer, in Sheffield. He has many children including 12 yr old JEM. The whole family checks out on GRO index with mmn Mellor, including Jem born 1878.
Dave

Thank you Dave i'll take a look now, with the spelling of his forename and surname I would never have found that! Thank you for once again solving my mystery!

Laura :)