Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
George Barnsley's OBE

G'day

George got an OBE, I cant find what he got it for and when. Assumed civic duty or something like that. It's not military related.

This particular George (truck loads of them) 1874-1958

Can someone point me in the direction where I can find out please?
I have been in the national archives and only managed to find a sock I lost in 1985

Re: George Barnsley's OBE

Hi Leisa, If you know when he received it you can visit: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/london you can input his name and find out why he received it. Regards Barry

Hello Leisa

I have emailed you a copy of an article from the Sheffied Telegraph of 11th June 1918.
I hope it helps.

Anne

Thank you. Cant wait to see it

G'day
I dont recall recieving your email and I looked online for the article and can't find anything for that paper in the month of June 1918.

Can you please snip a copy and paste in the chat or send through again?

cheers

LEISA,
On FMP newspapers or British Newspapers online search surname Barnsley, keyword British Empire then restrict to Sheffield Telegraph and finally drill down on date to June 1918 you will find 2 articles, one on 10th and one on 11th June.
Dave

Major George Barnsley was Assistant Director of Recruiting for Sheffield during the first world war. Initially he reported to Major Goodyear and worked on the National Register. He started recruitment work in August 1915. In June 1917 his promotion from Captain to Major for his activities in recruitment was made permanent, it had been temporary since 12th December 1916. His superior officer was Major S Firth, and George moved up from Assistant to Chief on Firth's resignation. He had been involved in the move of the recruiting office from the very cramped Corn Exchange to the Edmund road Drill Hall. He had been a Volunteer in the Sheffield Engineers since 1888 and served in the Boer War. His name appears on the tablet in the Town Hall recognising citizens who worked in the South African campaign. In November 1918 he left to carry out duties in Leeds for civilian National Service. In 1919 he became President of the newly formed Sheffield File Trades Technical Association

There is a photo of Colonel George Barnsley of the Home Guard in 1944 here:

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s03540&pos=1&action=zoom&id=7105

Photo of Major Barnsley in 1918:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xtu04n9x7r2p4mn/George%20Barnsley.png?dl=0

G'day Dave

I have not heard of fmp - can you send me a link to that please? I've searched a few times in British Newspapers and yet to find a Sheffield Telegraph. I used the keywords you suggested and had no luck. Sheffield Evening and Sheffield Daily Telegraph are the only 2 papers Ive found.

Fmp is Find My Past
It is Sheffield Daily Telegraph.
Dave