Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1939 register

I have an Ethel Rowbotham born 1903. According to Freebmd site married William Bower in 1924. I wonder if this should really be Bowers.
Could anyone spot Ethel Bower/ Bowers on the 1939 register to see which surname is correct. Where are they living at this time ?. Are there any children listed ?.

Thank you
Mark

Re: 1939 register

Hi Mark,

Have you checked with FreeBMD? That will help.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Mark, There is an Ethel Bowers on the 1939 register in Sheffield along with Edgar A Bowers. I do not have access to the full record. There is no Ethel Bower 1903 on the register. Regards Barry

I have already tried Freebmd but it's of no help. Its caused more confusion.
I will try and explain.
Ethel Rowbotham born 1903.
According to the above site has her married to William Bower 1924.
In my family we have Bowers with s on end of surname.
So that is why i am thinking that Freebmd has incorrect surname of Bower.
There are no children listed on Freebmd with Bower surname and Rowbotham maiden name of Ethel.
When i try Bowers and Rowbotham maiden various children are listed but not Sheffield. This tallys with what Barry says no Ethel Bower listed. But then on Freebmd there is a death of an Ethel Bowers in 1967 age fits her exactly.
So this is why i am confused.

Mark, the burial of ethel Bowers who died in 1967 is in the burials over to the left. She is buried with her husband Edgar Bowers so she is not the Ethel Bowers nee Rowbotham you are seeking.
Dave
Edit Edgar Burrows married in 1920 in Chesterfield according to Free bmd. His wifes name is missing

Mark Starr
I have already tried Freebmd but it's of no help. Its caused more confusion.
I will try and explain.
Ethel Rowbotham born 1903.
According to the above site has her married to William Bower 1924.
In my family we have Bowers with s on end of surname.
So that is why i am thinking that Freebmd has incorrect surname of Bower.
There are no children listed on Freebmd with Bower surname and Rowbotham maiden name of Ethel.
When i try Bowers and Rowbotham maiden various children are listed but not Sheffield. This tallys with what Barry says no Ethel Bower listed. But then on Freebmd there is a death of an Ethel Bowers in 1967 age fits her exactly.
So this is why i am confused.
Hi Mark

I've looked at the original marriage certificate for Ethel Rowbotham and William Bower in 1924 and it is clearly Bower, and the Groom signed as Bower.

Denise

Hi Denise

Is Ethel's father listed as William on this ?. If so that would confirm it is my relative.

Thanks
Mark

Hi Mark

4 August 1924, St Clement, Newhall Sheffield

William Bower, aged 24, Bachelor, Furnace Labourer, 696 Brightside Lane, Father: Robert(?) Bower, Carter

Ethel Rowbotham , aged 22 , Spinster, 696 Brightisde Lane, Father: William Rowbotham, Fitters Labourer

Witnesses: James W Ford and Gladys Rowbotham

Denise

Dave T
Mark, the burial of ethel Bowers who died in 1967 is in the burials over to the left. She is buried with her husband Edgar Bowers so she is not the Ethel Bowers nee Rowbotham you are seeking.
Dave
Edit Edgar Burrows married in 1920 in Chesterfield according to Free bmd. His wifes name is missing
Hi Dave

That's great, l can rule that one out now.
Thank you.

Denise

That is the Ethel in my family.
Brightside Lane is where her parents lived.
The witnesses Gladys is her sister. James W. Ford a brother inlaw.
I have a Robert Bowers who was a carter.
So this fits the Bower mentioned.
Appreciate your help.
Thank you
Mark

Hi Mark

Great - if you email me I can send you the certificate if you'd like it!

Denise

Denise sent you an e-mail.
Thanks