Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Abraham Cocking

Abraham Cocking born 1813, in 1841 census he is in Derby County Goal and House of Correction, is there any where I can find out why?

Re: Abraham Cocking

Ena
In the 1940s there are several articles in newspapers (FMP). He seems to have sometimes been the victim and sometimes the perpetrator. In 1841 he was in court for stealing, among other things, a beehive.
You can see this much on FMP without subscription, just by signing up. You need to subscribe to see the full original images.
Dave

Found an Abraham Cocking aged 26 in 1841 15th March sentanced to six months for braking something but I can't make out the first word. If anyone has FMP please could they check the first word

John S
Found an Abraham Cocking aged 26 in 1841 15th March sentanced to six months for braking something but I can\'t make out the first word. If anyone has FMP please could they check the first word
Looking in the British Newspaper Archive (which is the same thing as FMP I think), I can't find anything for the 15th of March 1841, but I can find an Abraham Cocking in court on the 18th, according to the Derby Mercury - Wednesday 24 March 1841.

On Thursday March 18 in the Derbyshire spring assizes, Abraham Cocking and John Stone got 6 months in the slammer with hard labour for nicking a beehive and some fowl from John Norborne and Robert West of Whitwell - likely the incident Dave T. mentioned in his message.

Hi Ena

If Abraham lived in Clowne, Derbyshire then there a number of newspaper articles about him. For example, on 28 March 1857 an article in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph tells that he is in court on a poaching charge. Later that year he is accused of carrying a gun for the purpose of poaching. In 1875, he was seriously injured falling into a lime kiln. Appears to have led a very colourful life!

Carol

John S
Found an Abraham Cocking aged 26 in 1841 15th March sentanced to six months for braking something but I can't make out the first word. If anyone has FMP please could they check the first word
Sorry, I missed the point and for some reason I was looking in newspapers instead of the court records. That first word looks like Curtilage to me. Curtilage breaking.

Since I just skimmed the wikipedia article about curtilage I know it's the area around a house including outbuildings and stuff - the zone which is sort of private.

That would fit in with the newspaper article if Abraham and John had gone inside the curtilage of someone's house (like into the back yard or something) to rob their beehive and fowls.

Cheers,

Andrew,

Thanks Andrew for confirming the first word. John

Many thanks to you all for this information I will be having a look at all the articles. Ena