Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
William Smith b 1815

Hello, can anyone help me overcome a road block in my research please? I have traced my paternal line back to William Smith who was born 1815 and died in 1867. He married Mary Ann (maiden name and date of marriage unknown).

I cannot find any definite information on his parents. There is a baptism record for a William Smith in February 1816 at Sheffield Parish Church - parents are named as Luke and Sarah, but no other detail.

William and Mary Ann had numerous children with unusual names, one of which was my 2nd great grandfather Ethelred, who eventually moved to Dudley in the West Midlands.

In the 1851 census they were living at 137 Eldon Street, Sheffield, and then in 1861 Hanover Street. William was a die sinker employing a number of people. After his death Mary Ann ran a guesthouse/lodgings

If anyone can help I'd be very grateful. Are Luke and Sarah his parents?

Thank you!

Re: William Smith b 1815

Is your Ethelred Smith the one born in 1851?

Hi Angie, Found Ursula and Urban on the GRO site shows maiden name as Willey, cannot find Alethea, Zenobia or Ethelred on the GRO. Need to find out if Mary Ann was married before. There is a marriage for William Smith and Mary Ann Darley 1836-1837 in Sheffield. Regards Barry

Yes Ethelred born 1851, thank you

Thanks for the information Barry. William was definitely Ethelred's father. I will look into Mary Ann Darley and the marriage

Mary Ann Darley was a SPINSTER when she married William Smith as above

Thank you John that is excellent information

Have a look at this one ...

1834 Marriage at the Cathedral
William SMITH and Mary Ann WILLEY

Eldest child William Henry b 1835 so should fit.

Can anyone with FMP get more info?

Vicki

27th April 1834 William Smith married Mary Ann Willy.

Think William's father will be called William because the William that married Mary Ann Willey was called

William Smith Jr (yes Jr is on the marrige cert and is how you find the marriage on FMP)

one of the witnesses was Joseph Hudson (he witnessesd lots of marriages)

Thank you to everyone who has helped me today. I have found the marriage and, I believe, the parents for William!

All their children are on the GRO index with MMN Willey. Zenobia is registered as Lenobia.
Dave