Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Samuel Corker Drummond burial

The above person was buried on 21st Jan 1928 at Christ Church Heeley his wife Ada died in 1945. According to the cd for Heeley she is not with him but that could be because that year was not transcribed.

Does anybody have anu info that would tell me was Ada buried with him and does anyone know if there could he a headstone/inscription.

Thanks in advance

John

Re: Samuel Corker Drummond burial

John

I have the Heeley MIs and there are no DRUMMOND stones.

Angela

Thanks Angela, hope you are keeping safe and well.

John

It looks like Ada may have been living Hobart Street in 1939 which could mean she is buried in Sheffield General Cemetery.
On earlier census records Samuel is living in Heeley so perhaps he chose to be buried in Heeley?

Strangely there are no DRUMMOND burials in the General Cemetery.

Angela

Thank you Angela, that is the correct Ada that was found on the 1939 register because that is where Samuel was living when he died. It must be then that Ada is not buried in Sheffield. Her maiden name was Wilkinson and in 1881 she was living at 16 Heeley Green, Sheffield if that helps anyone

Hi John
It may be that she is buried at Heeley but has no gravestone. Several of my ancestors are buried in Heeley churchyard but do not appear in the MIs as they have no headstone on the grave.
The current burial register for Heeley started, I think, in 1934, so it is possible Ada may be listed in that, however checking it at the moment is a bit of a challenge due to lockdown and the church being refurbished so all the registers are currently locked away off-site.
When they are again accessible I will check for you.

Regards
Steve

Steve, much appreciated thank you.

Hi John
Finally managed to get access to the burial register this morning:

Ada Eleanor Drummond, 34 Hobart Street, aged 78. Buried 19 February 1945.

No indication given of where in the churchyard the grave is I'm afraid.

Steve

Steve, many thanks for getting back regarding this. So at least we know she is in Christ Church Heeley. Does the register say if she is buried with Samuel?

Did you go to the archives for this?

Regards

John

Hi John
It is just the entry in the burial register.
There is no indication of who she is buried with or where.

The burial register is still held at the church as it is still our current register...starting in 1934! The church is still closed but as churchwarden I get to check it's still in one piece so dug the register out whilst there this morning.

Steve

Very much appreciated for that.

John