Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Annis FERGUSON/FIRGUSON/FERGUSSON etc

Hello,

I'm trying to find any information on this young woman, born around 1844 in Stanington, York. Her parents were Samuel Ferguson (1793-1861) and Anne Hall (1803-?).

The only info that I have she existed is from the 1851 Census where the family lived at Cotton Mill Walk, Sheffield.

Thanks in advance,
Christine Riding

Re: Annis FERGUSON/FIRGUSON/FERGUSSON etc

Christine,
When comparing this family in 1841 with the same family at the same address in 1851, and checking with those birth records that are in GRO index, it is very clear that there are many serious mistakes in the 1851 record. There is no doubt that the children Ellen, Harriet,Sarah Ann and Henry existed,Howeverthe Eliza aged 23 in 1851 was not there in 1841, Harriet who would be 13 was missing in 1851, sarah ann would be 10 in 1851, but said to be 12, Henry would be 7 IN 1851, but said wrongly to be 10, There is a 5 year old Ann in 1841who seems to become 16 yr old Jane in 1851.
So what about the mysterious Annis age 7 1851 and born in Stannington not Sheffield.
No sign of a birth reg, no sign of a marriage no sign of a death.
The 1851 census seems to have the right number of children, but several names and ages are wrong.
I suspect that Annis is just another major error in that 1851 census record, and she did not actually exist.
Dave

Re: Annis FERGUSON/FIRGUSON/FERGUSSON etc

Thanks for that info Dave. You have given me food for thought. I've managed to research reasonably well most of the siblings but there's certainly some anomalies.
There's twins in the wider family so I wonder if that's caused some of the confusion.
Lots of early deaths and spouses remarrying too.
Oh well, lots more research!
Thanks again,
Christine