Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
can anyone help

Hi I am tracing the Staton family tree but I have hit a brick wall.
My 3x Grandfather George Staton B 1813 Eckington married Hannah/Anne Crofts abt 1855
George died about 1866-1871 there last child was born 1866. Ive found Hannah's death/burial but I can't find any info on George or there marriage.
They lived in Norton then later in Heeley
Thank you Mags

Re: can anyone help

Hi Mags,

I am not finding a marriage for this couple at all.

Where did you find that her name was Hannah Crofts? AND the year around 1855.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine on there children birth certificates mother is the informant the mark of Hannah Crofts,she had a child before they were married called Charles Crofts no father mentioned,born 1844 Handsworth,then 1861 census he becomes Charles C Staton
This family tree is becoming a mystery
Thanks Mags

The gro index gives 7 Staton children born between 1849 and 1863 all with mmn Crofts.
There is a marriage of a George Staton in Q31846 Chesterfield and there are two possible brides called Ann, Ball and Seal. I wonder if one was a widow with maiden name Crofts?
Dave
Edit, of course they may not have married.

Hi

Is the 1813 birth/baptiam correct for George STATON as I cannot find him in the Eckington records?

Angela

Hi I am not sure if it's correct or not ,the only info I have is from the census,tried looking everywhere I can think of for any info but can't find anything about him only he his the father of 7 children

the marriage in 1846 took place at North Wingfield on 21 sep and it was to a Rachael Wilson

Hi Mags,

Was George a sicklesmith by any chance??

Which census are you taking your information from?

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Elaine 1851 census George.S sicklesmith aged 37
Sheldon Street Ann.S plus 2 children

1861 George aged 48 sicklesmith
Holmhirst 7 children (Charles appears here) plus Ann

1871 No George ,Ann is a widow plus children Derbyshire Lane

Ann,Henry&Joe plus Joe's wife are buried in Norton Cemetery but again no George mentioned .
Thanks for looking into this,I keep going over this ,just wondered if some fresh eyes looking at it might see something I have missed.
Thanks Mags

Hi Mags,

Thats the family I had found in 1851 and a possible link to a George in 1841.They were living at Woodseats in 1841.

Head of household Joseph Staton aged 68 a Scythe smith
Jane 20
George 15.

Age not quite right but worth padding out with other possible family member one generation back.

I have not checked but are Eckington registers on FreeReg?????

Could this be your George.
Deaths Sep 1868
Staton George 62 Ecclesall B. 9c 224

Age is out but that happened often.
Another idea that I have not looked at. Could he have been listed as "Straton"

Just ideas for you to follow through with.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Mags
FreeBMD have a death for a George Staton in Ecclesall Bierlow Sep quarter 1868 9c p224.

All Saints Ecclesall have a burial for a George Staton aged 62 who died at the Union Workhouse and was buried 19 September 1868. The Union workhouse would have been the Ecclesall Bierlow Union Workhouse, Union Road, Nether Edge.

Steve

Hi Elaine.

The Eckington parish registers are under the Ridgeway transcriptions I have posted before. I helped to transcribe these as you know most of my LEE and ROSE family were Eckington and Mosbr'o based.

See: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~ridgeway/genealogy/Index.htm

Angela

Hi

I would be inclined to send for that death certificate in 1868 to see if Ann reported the death.
Given his age in the census there is quite a gap between him and Ann/Hannah, did he knock even more years off his age in the census.
There is a baptism in 1807 for a George Staton

Angela

Sorry Angela I keep forgetting about that site.

Lots of Staton's from Eckington and area and many are Scythe Smiths.

Must be related.

Georges age on the 1851 census is 37 & in 1861 48. If he died in the next 10 years he would have been between 49 & 59.

He is 13 yrs older than Ann his wife so he could have fudged his age I suppose.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Thank you everybody for the help on this,I will send for the death certificate see who the informant is on that
Thanks again Mags