Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Austin Fenton

Austin Fenton was my grandfather & was killed in Sheffield in a tram accident in 1948.
I have found his grave in city Road cemetery.
He fought in the First World War & lived in Sheffield - does anyone know what regiment you would sign up to, or are you designated one? as I am having trouble tracing him by regiment to find out what happened to him during the war as I think by the sounds of it that he was shell shocked. Many thanks - Liz

Re: Austin Fenton

Liz, there is a medal card for Austin Fenton. It shows he was a gunner in the Royal Field Artillery and he arrived in France on 16th April 1915.
His number was 785135 and he was awarded the 15 Star.
It looks like he was not discharged early, and apparently he received no recognised injury.
Ancestry is free till the end of today, but the medal cards are permanently free anyway.
Dave

Thank you so much
I will certainly look at ancestry today. I was completely stuck as to where to look next as had no idea what army section he was in, but by the sounds of it he had PTSD as he came back a different man , as most men did.
Thank you again,
Liz

Liz, 2 more details. He volunteered, because he was there before the draft was introduced. At that time he would have the option to choose his regiment
Dave

Hi Dave,
Thank you for this information. I have found his medal card on Ancestry & am now looking at what else I can find.
Many thanks
Liz.