Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
help finding marriage certificate

Please can anyone help locate a marriage certificate for a John William Hill born Sheffield 1867. Parents George Hill and Ann James.

Thanks

Re: help finding marriage certificate

Can you give any details as to where he lived, occupation of him and his father. I have found a marriage of a John Hill to Mary Ellen Siddons in 1885 with father George a grinder. The address was Neepsend.

Will keep looking.

Jenny

Jenny
Can you give any details as to where he lived, occupation of him and his father. I have found a marriage of a John Hill to Mary Ellen Siddons in 1885 with father George a grinder. The address was Neepsend.

Will keep looking.

Jenny
In the 1881 census he was living in brightside bierlow and was listed as 13 driving a tram. Maybe looking a little later for a marriage. There's quite a few I found but not sure which one
Maybe witnesses at ceremony would help.
Thanks

Sarah, do you have the names and ages of any children please
Dave

Hi Sarah, Too many John William Hills, best i could find John William Hill married Annie Booth 1st Q 1892 at St Pauls. regards Barry

Barry E White
Hi Sarah, Too many John William Hills, best i could find John William Hill married Annie Booth 1st Q 1892 at St Pauls. regards Barry
Hio Sarah

The marriage Barry found in 1892 - the Grooms father is William Hill, so not yours I'm afraid>

Denise

Hello Sarah.
johns parents married in Sheffield 1855 if you don't already know.

It looks like he married Clara b 1869 in Sheffield by 1911,John is single in 1901 he is a steel melter at 507 Barnsley Road, no children but his niece Dorothy Johnson b 1908 Sheffield.
I'm on the Job too.

Potentially the both died around 1931/32. All from Findmypast.

1901 at 236 Newhall Rd John William Hill, a steel melter age 33 is with Clara his wife both Sheffield born and nephew John Downend aged 7.

This from Ancestry

Regards

Terry

Thanks - The Downend is a definite clue as his sister Eliza married William Downend...

Cheers for your help

Hello
On FMP there is a marriage: John William Hill and Clara Holden 21st Dec 1890 at Emmanuel, Sheffield.

John, 23, B. Steel Melter. 49 Swallow Street. Father = George, also a Steel Melter.

Clara, 22. Sp. Same address. Father = Thomas, Scale Presser.

Witnesses: John Turner and Elizabeth Ann Turner.

On the register there is a correction, added 20th Feb 1928 in which Clara's name of HOLDEN was changed to HOWDEN. Signed by John William Hill and Clara Howden.

Anne

gosh 38 years to find an error had been made. Be interesting to find out how that came alight.