Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Richard Mennell b1820 Beverley

Hello all

Richard Mennell 1820 - 1862 Beverley

I realise he lived in Beverley but further along the line we ended up in Sheffield, so i am hoping someone would take the time & have the inclination to have a little search.

I have plenty of info on Richard but his baptism has eluded me for years.

He was the eldest of 8 children born to William Mennell 1794 Oswaldkirk - 1874 Beverley & Hannah Wheels 1792 Walkington - 1866 Beverley. She's another brick wall! The only marriage i have been able to find for them was 1819 Etton.

I do appreciate the time & effort taken to provide all the information on this site. It has helped me trace many family members

Thanks to anyone taking the trouble to read my post

Andrea

Re: Richard Mennell b1820 Beverley

There is a private family tree on ancestry for Richard. Do you have access?

Hi Andrea

There is a baptism in 1820 in Goodmanham for:

Richard Merrils
Father: William, servant in husbandry
Mother: Hannah.
Abode: Etton

The original record is Merrils - so might not be connected at all. But I'm just wondering if it might be a clerical 'hearing' error ??

Thought it worth a mention as other bits fit.

Denise

Hi Sarah

I don't have a subscription to Ancestry at the moment. However i do subscribe now and then & my tree is on there.
No one appears to have any baptism info on Richard. I have found baptism records for a couple of his siblings & they are in Beverley.
I found his apprenticeship indenture which shows he was in Beverley in 1834 & he states he was born in Beverley on census,but wether that's true or not who knows!
His mother Hannah is also 1 of my brick walls. I'm wondering if her maiden name has been mistranscribed

Thanks for your reply
Andrea

Hi Denise
Thank you for your reply.
The info you've give is quite plausible. My only query would be fathers occupation as William is shown to be a brickmaker on all census returns.
Then again a change in occupation is not unknown.
Did you get that info from family search ?

Thanks again
Andrea

Hi Andrea

I did wonder about the occupation especially as when Richards brother Adam is baptised 3 years later they are in Beverley and William is a Brick maker. But maybe the job change happened as a result of moving to Beverley ??

But it may not be related at all...

Its not from Familysearch - its the original bapstism record on Findmypast.

Denise

Hi Andrea

i did wonder about Williams occupation, especially as when Richards brother Adam is baptised 3 years later they are in Beverley and William is a Brickmaker. However maybe that job change was as a result of the move from Etton to Beverley?

Or it may not be connected at all...

Also bear in mind that Etton, Beverley and Walkington are all fairly close together. If Richard moved to Beverley before he was 3 when Adam was baptised there and lived there growing up he may well have thought he was born in Beverley.

Re Hannah Wheels there is a baptism in Walkington in 1790 for a Hanah W, Father William, Mother Hanah.

The surname is missing as presumably the original record was either damaged or to hard to read and transcribe. Unfortunately there isnt the original on FMP to check.

Noticed on Hannah and Williams marriage record that one of the witnesses was William Wheels - he could be Hannahs father so the baptism could fit.

But again might not be relevant but worth a mention!

Denise

Hi again Denise

Your comments re Richard maybe thinking he was born in Beverley are so obvious now. Why on earth didn't that cross my mind!!!!
As for you finding something for Hannah Wheels - what can i say - except a massive thankyou.
I'd given up hope of ever finding any reference to her.So pleased i gave her a mention on my post.
Being greedy now, does the marriage record you found for Hannah & William give a date & was that also on FMP?

Many thanks
Andrea

Hi Andrea

Glad some it might now be slotting in to place:

Marriage of Hannah and William:

25 November 1819

Witnesses: Bess Mennel and William Wheels.

Yes its on FMP.

I've sent you an email

Denise

Denise a thousand thankyous.

The baptism record looks like the right one to me too

Best wishes Andrea