Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DNA testing, Advice please

In my extended tree I have an illegitimate birth in 1908 and the descendants have a story of who the father may have been. I am hoping that perhaps DNA profiling on the grandson of the illegitimate boy may confirm or deny. There are so many different companies offering DNA profiling I am wondering if anyone can advise me on the best to use for this purpose, or am I perhaps clutching straws?
Dave

Re: DNA testing, Advice please

My daughter used Ancestry and found the biological father and my granddad her great grandfather.
It was enlightening as my granddads mother went on to marry this man but my granddad never acknowledged him as his dad, probably granny didnt know who the father was!!!!!!

Susan, thanks.
How did it work? Was she given people matches?
Dave

Hi Dave

Dont know if this article will help you

http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/blog/what-dna-testing-can-tell-you-about-your-family-history

Denise

Denise, thank you, very useful. We can probably decide which one from that
Dave

Dave T
Denise, thank you, very useful. We can probably decide which one from that
Dave
Ensure you choose a DNA test that looks at both maternal and paternal as not all do. Also find a DNA test that lets you download your raw data and you can then share on other family search sites for free.

Sarah, thank you. I had realised about the maternal and paternal differences, but the advice about being able to handle and share the results is invaluable.
Dave

Hi Dave, yes she was given matches when she logged on to Ancestry. Of course it all depends on who has decided to have the test, we were lucky that a direct link led us to the right man.

Susan, thanks. I can now go ahead, though not sure how it will work in this lockdown situation. It has waited more than 100 years so I guess a few more months will not matter.
Dave