Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fairest family Bradfield

I'm trying to trace the mother of Mark Fairest born around 1825 in Bradfield/Loxley. I have found him with his widowed father Joseph aged 50, a cabinet case maker on the 1841 census living in Holdsworth, Bradfield. I was hoping to find a baptism record for him that might prove who his mother was.

I have found a militia record for Joseph Fairest, Holdsworth cabinet maker who had 4 children in 1829 and an earlier record that states he had 5 children.

Hope someone can help

Jenny

Re: Fairest family Bradfield

Hi

I couldn’t find a marriage for Joseph in the right time frame but I did find this burial record. It’s the only death I could find for a female Fairest that seems to fit. Her year of birth fits as does the birth of Mark three years prior to her death.

First name(s) Hannah
Last name Fairest
Age 28
Birth year 1800
Death year 1828
Burial year 1828
Burial date 13 Aug 1828
Church St Nicholas
Denomination Anglican
Place Bradfield
County Yorkshire, Yorkshire (West Riding)

Carol

Hi Jenny, There is a record of a Joseph Fairest marrying Grace Wolstenholme 5 March 1816 at Sheffield Cathedral. regards Barry

The Hannah Fairest aged 28 and buried 13 August 1828 at Bradfield was the wife of
Joel Fairest of Wharncliffe Side.

Also, I have my doubts about the Joseph Fairest and Grace Wolstenholme marriage.
There are baptisms at Bradfield on this site where the parents are Joseph and Grace Fairest, Joseph is a steel forgeman. In 1841 this couple are at Holmes, Kimberworth.
When this couple married (by Licence) in 1816, Joseph was of the parish of Sheffield
and Grace was of the parish of Dronfield.

Moira.

At Loxley Cong there are the following burials in 2 adjacent graves (CSS 21 Row 14 and 22 Row 14)
Joseph Fairest of Holdworth 1866 age 77
Mark Fairest of Sheffield 1869 age 44
Mary Ann Fairest of Oldworth 1825 age 36
Mary Fairest of Holdworth 1825 age ??

It looks like Mary Ann was Josephs wife and she probably died in childbirth in 1825. Was Mark a twin to Mary?

In the same 2 graves are Ada 1867 age 5 days, Daniel 1854 age 33, George Willes 1856 age 10,Jane 1868 age 4, Sarah Jane 1860 age 7 months, Theresa 1855 age 5, Robert (of Oldworth) 1853 age 9 weeks and Joseph 1863 age 6 months
Dave.

Using the burials of the children that Dave found, the following are their
possible baptisms.

Joseph Fairest aged 5w, son of Mark and Jane, baptised 7 Oct 1862 at St Marks
Methodist, Malin Bridge, Sheffield.

Jane Fairest baptised 19 June 1864 at Loxley Congregational, Bradfield.
Parents, Mark and Jane, (mothers last name Gledall). Trans. only.

Ada Fairest, born 23 March 1867, baptised 2 April 1867, St Stephen, Sheffield.
Parents, Mark and Jane of Fawcett Street, File Cutter.

I could not find baps for the others.

Jenny, have you any further information re Joseph's Militia records?

Moira.

Hello to everyone who has replied so far. Many thanks for your help.

Re Joseph's militia records that I found on the Bradfield History site. He was exempt from duties in 1820 and was 32 years old, a joiner living in Holdsworth with 5 children. I also found him 1828/1829 aged 40 a cabinet case maker with 4 children.

I will look at the other militia records and see if there is any further information.

The burials that Dave found are really useful as MARK FAIREST is the descendant of Joseph who I am following so I will digest that information and fit it into the family tree. He did move to Sheffield at some point in time.

Thanks again for helping me out, I now have something to concentrate on.

Jenny

Jenny,
one small detail you may not have noticed. In the 1841 census it seems Mark has an older brother Henry age 25 and Sister Deborah age 25. The death registrations of both Henry and Deborah are on GRO index in q1 1879. Henry was 66 and Deborah 65. THEY WERE REGISTERED ON THE SAME PAGE.
Dave

Deborah was Henry's wife.

In 1871 they are living at Holdworth Village, Bradfield.
In 1861 they are at Thorne House, Hagen Field, Bradfield.

Deborah aged 65 was buried 10 Feb 1879 and Henry aged 66, buried 20 Feb 1879, both at Bradfield.

Moira.

I thought Deborah was Mark's sister until I found them together on the 1851 census. I have just been on the Bradfield site again and have found an interesting document from 1819.

Martha Kirk applies for settlement in Bradfield stating that she is working and living with Joseph Fairest.

There is a note at the bottom that says "she is now with child which is likely to be born a B*****d"

Trying to look on a list of the Poor but the zoom download isn't working for that document! Martha Kirk and child are listed

Jenny

Jenny,
Martha Kirk claimed she qualified for Bradfield settlement by Hiring and service with Joseph.
She was previously apprenticed at age about 9 in 1809 to Robert Greaves, farmer. Her apprenticeship was to age 18. So in 1818 she will have completed her apprenticeship and she then got a job with Joseph in service.
When she got pregnant she applied for relief. I assume she did not name a father because there is no *******y bond.

Dave

Hi Jenny,

I have Links to the Fairest's of Bradfield. BUT not able at the moment to Link in with names and years you have mentioned. They are a prolific bunch.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine

This isn't my family as I'm doing this research for a friend's wife (who is unaware as it's a surprise) but I'm really enjoying the challenges it's throwing up. I always like to find as much information as I can so that I can add "meat to the bones".

It's just a pity I can't find any baptisms/marriages for Joseph and his children.

At least it's giving me plenty to do during "lockdown"

Jenny

edit: from the burials Dave found I've established via GRO index that there are only 2 children not related to Mark/Jane who are George Willes and Theresa. These have mother's maiden name as Butler. Daniel aged 33 was JOSEPH's son according to his marriage certificate that I've just found.

Hi Moira
Regarding the Fairest family of Bradfield you mentioned they lived at Thorn House in Holdsworth ,I just wondered if it could be the same farm my sister in law bought in the late 60s then it was known as Thorn House Farm on West Lane Holdsworth?

Regards
Chris

Jenny,
It looks like the fourth son of Joseph Fairest was Aaron. He married Elizabeth BUTLER in q3 1838 in Sheffield.
Dave

Thanks so much for that Dave. I'm trying to draw up a family tree and according to his militia records he had 5 children by 1820.I've just found the marriage you gave me and he later married in 1867 aged 53 which means he was born around 1814.

These are the children I have but not too sure as I can't find baptisms

Joseph 1811 Henry 1812 Aaron 1814 Charlotte 1816 Daniel 1821 Mark/Mary 1825

In 1826 on his militia record it states 6 children so it will be correct if Mary died as a baby.

At least I'm getting somewhere now. Just need a marriage. I did find one in 1809 in Rotherham to Mary Tingle but it states he was of this parish but Mary of the Parish of Ecclesfield?

It is most likely that the baptisms were at Loxley Cong. Those records are held at Sheffield Archives
Dave

Hi Jenny & Dave,

Loxley Chapel was built around 1885.

Bradfield was a Chapelry of Ecclesfield Parish Separate Parish as of 1868.

Elaine.

Jenny you probably know this but for others.

Fairest, Deborah of Holdworth, Bradfield. Aged 25 years.
(Piece #1327/1, folio 41a, enumeration district 4.)

Fairest, Henry of Holdworth, Bradfield. Aged 25 years.

Fairest, Joseph of Holdworth, Bradfield. Aged 50 years.

Fairest, Mark of Holdworth, Bradfield. Aged 15 years.

Elaine.

Elaine, some wires crossed somewhere. If you look back at an earlier response from Moira there was a baptism at Loxley Cong in 1864. And there were burials there in 1825.
Dave

Edit, Loxley Cong was built in 1787!!

Hi, no wires crossed.LOL.

I am using the S&DFH Booklet......The Small Guide to Nonconformist & Roman Catholic Churches in Sheffield.

States.
Loxley Wesleyan Chapel Loxley Rd Sheffield 6.
This chapel was built around 1885.

Maybe has been updated since I bought this booklet??? Angela has it been updated?????

Elaine.

Spotted the mistake. Sorry about that.

Loxley Congregational Church Wadsley Sheffield 6.
Erected 1787 purchased in 1798 It had a burial ground It later became URC. Church closed 1994.

Baptisms 1799-1830, 1831-1985
Marriages 1926-1992
Burials 1812-1861

Original Records at Sheffield Archives
Extracts on Family Search. Pictures on www.picturesheffield.com

It looks like FMP has a baptism for Joseph FAIRIST in 1811 father Joseph at Bradfield St Nicholas.
Also there is a Mary FAIRIST baptised at Bradfield St Nicholas 1819, father Joseph. The burial at Loxley Cong for Mary in 1825 does not give an age.
Dave

Hi Jenny,

Many of my Non conformist ancestors were Married in Rotherham so dont discount the one you found.

Family Search.

Joseph Fairest Baptised 16th Sep 1787 at Bradfield father Jonathan Fairest.No mother mentioned.

Try our baptisms for Fairist as well.

He's not in our transcription so one of the pages we could not decipher.

Elaine.

Hi Chris,

The 1861 census entry has Henry and Deborah Fairest and family at THORNE HOUSE,
he is a farmer of 15 acres.

The next entry, two uninhabited.

Next is Bodkin Hall.

Then, Joseph Fairest, retired farmer living at THORNE HOUSE.

The enumeration district is....The Whole of the Hamlet of Holdsworth, part of
Bradfield township.

You could try searching 'Bradfield Archives' and see if there are any entries
for Thorne House.

Moira.

Once again thanks for all the help you have given me. I'll spend the rest of the day sorting through all the information.

Jenny

Hi Moira
Thank you for your reply I will get in touch with Bradfield archives .When my sister in law bought it ,it was Thorn House no E on the end of Thorn thanks once again

Regards
Chris

In 1829 a Joseph Fairest and a William Tingle, both of Holdsworth, got volunteered to be appointed as Surveyors of the Highways of Sheffield (and the surrounding townships) - Sheffield Independent - Saturday 17 October 1829 page 3 article Highway Sessions for 1829-1830.

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Hi Andrew

I was looking for that article because I had found a document on the Bradfield site but I couldn't quite read what it was about. That's another piece of information I can add. Don't know why I couldn't find it! Will source it now.

Thank you.