Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Burial at ridgeway

Hi

Does anyone know where I can find burial records for Ridgeway? My Great Great grandmother was buried at Ridgeway on 19th January 1914. Her name was Phoebe Taylor and she lived at 12 Bank View, Hackenthorpe. She was 27 when she died and her husband was James Taylor of the same address. I have looked in the burial records on here but the Phoebe Taylor’s on here definitely aren’t her. I had a hint on Ancestry and every detail is correct, it just says buried at ridgeway.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kerry.

Re: Burial at ridgeway

Hi Kerry,

Have just looked at the Entry on Ancestry.

Observation..

Place where the service took place was indeed "Ridgeway" dont know if this was a Church or Chapel and it was in Derbyshire at that time. The Minister was from Mosbro.
Her address was 12 Bank View, Hackenthorpe, Beighton.

Someone (Angela) might be able to fill you in more as she will know the area.

I believe this is her death registration.
TAYLOR, PHOEBE 27
GRO Reference: 1914 M Quarter in CHESTERFIELD Volume 07B Page 1020

Elaine in Lockdown in Canada.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Elaine

That seems right. Hackenthorpe was classed as North East Derbyshire until the late 60’s. I know Phoebe was originally from the Troway/Marsh Lane area and she was baptised at Ridgeway when she was about 4 or 5. I’m surprised she wasn’t buried at Christchurch in Hackenthorpe given that’s where she lived. I know her husband was buried there although I haven’t been able to find a headstone, probably couldn’t afford one.

Kerry with a broken tooth, in Lockdown in Rotherham!😢

Kerry, Google st John Ridgeway to get the history of the church and its graveyard. GENUKI has a few burials transcriptions but only 1845 to 1850.
It looks like you will need to contact the church for their burials register.
Dave

Hi Dave

A few years ago I went to Ridgeway to look for another grave. I went to St Johns church and spoke to someone there and she pointed me in the direction of a smaller dis used church with a graveyard that was across the road. Would St Johns hold the records for both?

Thanks

Kerry

Kerry, the one across the road is Methodist. Suggest you contact the St John Church and perhaps the local council to find out where the two sets of registers can be found.
Dave

Hi Kerry/Dave,

Have a look at this one also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_Church,_Hackenthorpe

Elaine

PS Take care of the toothache.......(ice chips)

Hi Kerry

The Ridgeway St John the Baptist registers are deposited with Derbyshire Record Office.

There is a Wesleyan chapel with a graveyard across the road .

The Christ Church Hackenthorpe registers are still with the church.

Angela

I still don't have the edit button and have cleared everything on my machine .

Kerry

The burial is at St John's Ridgeway the parish church.

There's a couple of mine in the same collection (Treweek) in 1927 and I know they are buried at the parish church.

Angela

Hi Angela

Thank you very much for this, when we are allowed out I’ll take a drive out and have a look.

Regards

Kerry

Hi Angela,

Have let "Bravenet" know about the missing EDIT button. Its based in Vancouver and they are working from home so it could take some time.

Keep well.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Bravenet Support Test

There are some indexes and transcripts from St John's Ridgeway and the Methodist Chapel across the road on http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~ridgeway/genealogy . I haven't found Phoebe, but then I haven't checked for her baptism, not knowing her maiden name. The same site also has an index for Eckington, mainly pre-1837.
Best wishes to all in these strange times :slightly_smiling_face: Geoffrey

Hi Geoffrey

Phoebes maiden name was Bown and I did find her baptism record on ancestry, it came up as a hint and when I looked into it, it was the right one. She was 4 or 5 years old when she was baptised at St. John’s at ridgeway.

Thank you

Kerry