Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1891 census

Hoping someone can help!
I’m trying to find my Great Grandfather on the 1891 census, his name was Harry Jackson, born in Attercliffe in 1875. His parents were Walter and Annie Elizabeth Jackson and his siblings were Willie and Lena. I can find him on the 1881, 1901 and 1911 census but I cannot find any member of the family in 1891. I’m thinking there may be a transcription error but I have asked it to search for variants of the name Jackson but it isn’t coming up with anything.
Has anyone anymore ideas please.
Thank you in advance

Kerry๐Ÿ˜Š

Re: 1891 census

where were they living in 1881 and 1901 please?could it be possible that the book the address they were at in 1891 has been lost?

Hi john
They seem to have stayed around the Attercliffe area. In 1881 they lived on Kirkbridge road which doesn’t seem to exist anymore according to google maps, in 1901 they lived on Fell road. I can’t find one member of the family in 1891.

Kind regards
Kerry

Hi Kerry, I cannot find any record in 1891 either, Can i ask an entirely different question? Did Walter Jackson and Ann Elizabeth Baines marry in Boston Oct 1877 and was Harry born a Jackson? Found them in 1911 with Nellie and Florence still in Attercliffe. Regards Barry

Hi Kerry

Not quite 1891 but Lena Jackson (born 5 May 1887) of 4/2 Broughton Lane was admitted to Carbrook Temporary Board School (Bright Street) (Girls) on 29 Mar 1892. Father Walter.

Al

Hi Barry

Harry Jackson was born Harry Baines on 6 April 1875 and he was illegitimate. His baptism record is on here. His mother then married Walter Jackson on 5 November 1876 in skirbeck, Lincolnshire. They had Willie, Lena, Nellie and Florence. I’ve found every census return apart from 1891. The whole family are just gone!
Thank you for looking

Regards
Kerry.

Hello

May be worth looking into this family on the 1891 Census- surname LODGER at 115 Princess Street Brightside

William Lodger 35
Amie E Lodger 34
Harry Lodger 16
Willie Lodger 14
William Lodger 13
Clara Lodger 9
John Lodger 5
Lena Lodger 4

Vicki

Hi Allan

That does sound like my great grandfathers sister, she was born in the second quarter of 1887 and her fathers name was Walter. I have tried to locate school records for the children but had no luck. I don’t think they moved from Attercliffe, just around the various roads!!

Thank you for looking.

Regards
Kerry

Hi Vicki

This is looking promising. Annie was born in Nottinghamshire and she had 3 children by 1891 called Harry, Willie and Lena. I have looked up the address on FMP and looked at the original transcript, I’m confused by the surname as they were called Jackson and also by the other children. Her husband was Walter but this clearly says William. I’ve tried to search for births where the mother’s maiden name is Baines but it’s not coming up with anything. When I put in the surname Lodger it searches for variants and has come up with Ledger. I’m wondering if they were living with another family for some reason but then where was Walter?? Walter was born in Boston, Lincolnshire but the head of the household says William and Sheffield. I think this could definitely be them, especially as Lena doesn’t seem to be a very common name.

Thank you for looking.

Regards
Kerry.

Hi Kerry et al,
This family, I believe are listed individually on UK Census on line,for 1891 but the ages are a bit out. Unfortunately, you have to pay to see the full record.
There are two Walter Jackson's listed, one is a general labourer the other a carter.
Walter was a carter in 1881 and a gen.lab. in 1901.
Harry is listed as a Hurrier in a coal mine, in 1901 Harry was a lab. in a coal mine.

www.ukcensusonline.com/search/

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

3834-49-96
Lodger William head M 35 labourer in ironworks YKS Sheffield 115 Princess St.
Lodger Annie E wife M 34 NTT NK 115 Princess St
Lodger Clara dau 9 scholar YKS Sheffield 115 Princess St.
Lodger Harry son 16 YKS Sheffield 115 Princess St.
Lodger John son 5 YKS Sheffield 115 Princess St.
Lodger Lena dau 4 YKS Sheffield 115 Princess St.
Lodger William son 13 scholar YKS Sheffield 115 Princess St.
Lodger Willie son 14 scholar YKS Sheffield 115 Princess St.

JACKSON, LENA BAINES
GRO Reference: 1887 J Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 561

Hi Wendy

Thank you, I will look into this.

Regards
Kerry

Hi Pete

Thank you for the information. I can find birth records on FMP for Lena and Willie both born as Jackson and Harry who was born Baines, but I can’t find anything for the other 3. Not sure to think of them as Jackson like the other kids or Lodger which ends up being Ledger when I ask it to do a search. I just can’t seem to get my head around them all being Jackson one minute, then Lodger/Ledger and then in the next census and forever more Jackson.

Thank you again
Kerry.

Kerry,
The Ledger family checks out on Gro index, that is William,Clara and John, all born at the right time and all with mother maiden name Brown
The marriage of William Ledger to Laura Brown in the late 1870S and the death of Laura Ledger age 32 IN LATE 188Os both check out, and in March Quarter 1891 William Ledger married Anna E Jackson. This all confirms the 1891 CENSUS FOR Ledger being a mixture of the two families.
The only thing missing is a death for Walter Jackson.
Dave

Dave T
Kerry,
The Ledger family checks out on Gro index, that is William,Clara and John, all born at the right time and all with mother maiden name Brown
The marriage of William Ledger to Laura Brown in the late 1870S and the death of Laura Ledger age 32 IN LATE 188Os both check out, and in March Quarter 1891 William Ledger married Anna E Jackson. This all confirms the 1891 CENSUS FOR Ledger being a mixture of the two families.
The only thing missing is a death for Walter Jackson.
Dave
Walter, Harry, Annie E, possibly on this site
<<<
JACKSON, Annie Elizabeth (Widow, age 80).
Died at 19 Old Hall Road; Buried on September 2, 1937 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 90, Section F6 of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: Officiating Minister, R.M.A. Green:

JACKSON, Harry (Grinder, age 39).
Died at 3 Attercliffe Com'n; Buried on May 23, 1914 in Consecrated ground;
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: Officiating Minister: Geo G Swann, Removed from Attercliffe Parish.

JACKSON, Walter (Labourer, age 69).
Died at 2 Smilter Lane; Buried on May 1, 1923 in Consecrated ground;

Hi Dave and Pete

Thank you for the information, I have come across these burials on this site. I believe the deaths for Annie and Walter are correct, I have their death certificates. Annie died at 19 Old Hall road on 29/08/1937, it says she’s the widow of Walter Jackson and their daughter Nellie registered her death. The death certificate for Walter states he died on 26/04/1923 at 2 Smilter Lane and his death was registered by his widow Annie Elizabeth Jackson of 19 Old Hall road. The burial record for Harry Jackson fits, however, if that is my great grandfather then how am I even here?? I have a death certificate for Harry Jackson that states he died in 1953, he is buried at city road with his common law wife and my grandmother and also the ashes of my great aunt. Both of them being his daughters. If he did die in 1914 then who is my great grandfather? Both deaths fit, I have looked for a birth of a Harry Jackson in 1875 in Sheffield and cannot find one, I can find one in Ecclesall Bierlow but that’s not where they lived, they were from Attercliffe. My great grandfather was born Harry Baines as he was illegitimate but when his mother married Walter he assumed the name Jackson. I don’t even know if he knew he was a Baines and not really a Jackson. So confusing!! He’s buried in section E6, grave 22740 at city road.๐Ÿค”

BAINES, HARRY -
GRO Reference: 1875 J Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 553

From this site
TURNER, Elsie (of 14 Maltby Street, born 0000-02-07).
Baptised February 28, 1912, by Harold Gibson at Christ Church, Attercliffe.
Parents name(s) are Lena & Stephen (Labourer).
Note: ~
Godparents: ~ :Page No 298 :Reg No 2379

TURNER, Lily (of 14 Maltby Street, born 1916-12-31).
Baptised January 24, 1917, by A Richardson at Christ Church, Attercliffe.
Parents name(s) are Lina & Stephen (Driver).
Godparents: ~ :Page No 157 :Reg No 1256

TURNER, Nellie (of 14 Maltby Street, born 0000-02-23).
Baptised March 15, 1911, by J R Lee Nicholls at Christ Church, Attercliffe.
Parents name(s) are Lena & Stephen (Crane Driver).
Godparents: ~ :Page No 220 :Reg No 1756

TURNER, Sydney (of 14 Maltby Street, born 0000-04-13).
Baptised May 7, 1913, by C H Staveley at Christ Church, Attercliffe.
Parents name(s) are Lena & Stephen (Crane driver).
Godparents: ~ :Page No 113 :Reg No 898

Hi Kerry,

The burial of Harry Jackson is on this site, buried 4 Aug 1953 aged 78yrs.
Also in the same grave is Charlotte Jackson, Widow aged 69yrs, buried 19 Feb 1953,
died at 65 The Circle.

1939 register, 65 The Circle, Sheffield.
Harry Jackson, born 12 March 1875, Property repairer, married.
Charlotte Jackson (Bell), born 12 Jan 1885, married.
One record closed.
Albert Marriott, born 13 Feb 1915, Lathe hand, married.
Two records closed.

1939 register, 119 Coleford Road, Sheffield.
Harry Jackson, born 12 March 1875, Property repairer, Widowed.
He is living with Henry W. Clarke born 1912 and his wife Elizabeth E. Clarke,
born 1915.

As you can see, the birth dates and occupations for the above Harry are both the
same. I presume it is the same person. Do you know any of the people he is with?

Moira.

Kerry, do you have the death cert for the Harry Jackson who died in 1914 age 39 and who is buried in the same grave as Walter?
Dave

Hi Pete

The information you have about Harry is the information I have too. He was born on 6/4/1875 and born Harry Baines and then just assumed the name Jackson.

I have also found the others that you mention and I have them on my family tree although I didn’t know their baptism dates or where they were baptised.
Thank you for looking.

Regards
Kerry

Hi Dave

I have the death certificate for Harry Jackson born 1875 and died 1953. This is the one that I have always assumed was my great grandfather as he’s buried with my great grandmother, my grandma and great aunt. It says he died at 2 Herries Road on 30/7/1953. I will try and take a picture and email it to you.

Thank you for your help

Regards
Kerry

Hi Kerry,

Ecclesall Bierlow consisted of.......

Registration County : Yorkshire West Riding.
Created : 1.7.1837 (originally "Eccleshall Bierlow").
Abolished : 1.4.1935 (to become part of Sheffield and Chesterfield registration districts).
Sub-districts : Bramhall, Dore, Ecclesall Bierlow, Ecclesall Central, Ecclesall North, Ecclesall South, Ecclesall West, Nether Hallam, Norton, Sharrow, Upper Hallam.
GRO volumes : XXII (1837-51), 9c (1852-1935).
Registers currently held at : Sheffield.

My ancestors from Attercliffe All have registration district of Sheffield.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Kerry, I think you should purchase the death cert for Hzrry Jackson who died 1914 age 39. It will give you new information which may help to solve this mystery.
Dave

Hi Moira

The burial you mention is the one at city road. Charlotte Bell (nee Mercer) was my Great Grandmother, she never married Harry Jackson because she was married to someone else until that person died in 1935. She always called herself Charlotte Jackson to save face but I don’t think it worked very well, Harry was a serial womaniser apparently so I think there was gossip. Also in that grave is their youngest daughter, my grandma and their eldest daughters ashes, my great aunt.

The 1939 register information is the one I’ve always looked at because 65 The Circle is where they all lived, my gran lived there until around 2001 when she had to be re housed as the council were pulling all the houses down on the Manor estate.

I have no idea about the address at Coleford road, Harry’s date of birth was 6/4/1875. Ironically my gran always used to talk about a Mrs Clarke because this was one of the women he left my Great gran for, he wanted my gran to come and live with them but she refused! I don’t think it can be him though as it’s the wrong date of birth, I have his birth certificate and it’s April not March or at least I think it is!! Why would he tell them the wrong DOB? I’m so confused!

Thank you for looking, he’s a difficult one but I’m determined to crack it. We’ve probably buried the wrong bloke!!

Regards
Kerry.

Hi Elaine

I agree with that, I do have family from Ecclesall Bierlow but I’ve noticed over time this has become just Sheffield. All my family from Attercliffe have been registered under Sheffield.
I have found some Harry Jackson’s under Ecclesall Bierlow which is why I know it’s not my great grandfather because they were all from Attercliffe and never really moved far at all, certainly not over to the west of the city. Also I know he was born illegitimately and his surname at birth was Baines and that I can find straight away, his baptism is on here too.

Thank you

Regards
Kerry

Hi Dave

I think you’re right, I need to find out who he is!

Thank you

Kerry

Just an observation.

Jackson is such a common name in Sheffield & area.

If he was illegitimate I can see him being registered under one name and acquiring another if his mother married/or lived with someone else. Many did and after my years of transcribing & researching etc there was nothing unusual about that.

He could not have been buried without a death certificate. Dont get too tied up with dates. They were very flexible back then.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Kerry, you referred to a birth certificate for Harry. Is that the birth cert for Harry Baines?. And does it say he was born on 6th April 1875?
Dave

Hi Dave

Yes the certificate I have says 6th April 1875 and is for Harry Baines, the mother is Annie Elizabeth Baines, no father is listed.

Regards
Kerry

Kerry, that is now 2 pieces of evidence that Harry Baines was not your grandfather.
Harry baines died in 1914, He is buried in the same grave as his parents. His birthday was 6th April.
The man you know was your grandfather had birthday 12th March. A person may get their birth year wrong, but they always remember the day and month.
You need to go back to the beginning to look for the correct birth for Harry Jackson, your grandfather.
Dave

Hi Dave

You’re right, I need to go right back to the beginning because something is definitely not right.

Thank you for all your help with this, thank you to everyone involved, it really is appreciated.

Regards
Kerry.

Hi Everyone

I just wanted to update you on the progress of this and to once again Thank you all for your help in trying to sort this out.
Last week I ordered the death certificate for the Harry Jackson that died in 1914, my thought was that if one of his parents registered the death then this was not my great grandfather. When the certificate came I hit another brick wall as this Harry Jackson had committed suicide and the coroner registered his death and no mention of any family member. I then turned to newspapers thinking that something like that would have been reported, sure enough it was and it mentioned that he was found by his mother Annie Elizabeth Jackson. So I now know that this man is nothing to do with my family tree and have deleted him and around 70 other people off my tree. So, what I do know now is that the Harry Jackson that appears on the 1939 register twice is most likely my great grandfather whose date of birth was 12/3/1875. I have no idea where he came from, I just know that in 1920 he lived at 518 Coleridge Road which fits because my gran and Aunt were born there and his name is on their birth certificates in 1921 and 1923. I know he died in 1953 at the northern general. I’m almost certain that he was picked up by his daughter from a place for homeless people near the northern general just before he died but I have no idea what this place was called. He was supposedly a master builder, had his own business with the letter headed paper etc but I can find no record of him belonging to any society for builders or even learning his trade through an apprenticeship. I am literally banging my head against this brick wall!!
My only hope now is the 1921 census when it finally comes out and I’m hoping I can find him on there relatively easily, I’m hoping his place of birth is on there so I can start to research his family.

Thank you all again, this website is amazing.

Regards
Kerry.๐Ÿ˜Š