Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Parents for John Goodison

I checked parish records on here and found d nothing. I am looking for parents and possible siblings of John goodison. Born approx 1781 stannington. Nothing coming up on ancestry. Any ideas where else I could find baptism record?. I checked iga, nothing I could find.

Re: Parents for John Goodison

Hi Sarah,

I thought we had sorted this family out??

The Goodisons seem to have lived in Stannington for many years.

Stannington was in the Chapelry of Bradfield which was in the Ecclesiastical Parish of Ecclesfield.

I have looked at our transcription & the CD for Underbank Chapel( methodist?)

I will try and fill you in on what I know as I and Malcolm Nunn from Bradfield Archives are the ones who transcribed this Church. (St Nicholas).

We started in 1723 and found some of those early years very hard to read and some of the pages we just could not transcribe. Not many though.

If this family were indeed Church of England some would have trekked all the way into Sheffield to have their children Baptised.Like wise for marriages. If their family were nonconformist they would have still married in an Anglican Church and probably used their burial grounds. The baptisms if non conformists would have taken place in their local chapel.
I have nonconformist ancestors who went all the way to Rotherham to be married. BUT... still in an Anglican Church.

All marriages prior to 1848 were supposed to take place at the Parish Church in Sheffield but..... Bradfield & Ecclesfield carried on performing them as they were a fair distance from Sheffield.

I looked at FindMyPast and there is no John Goodison 1781 listed.

I did find the following that I thought might be a Link.
Bishops Transcripts (a copy of the parish registers)
John Goodison & Elizabeth Dyson married 16th Jan 1807 by Banns.
This marriage took place at Ecclesfield.

How sure are you that John is the father of Benjamin and that his birth year is correct.

My very senior years dont help in keeping others trees in the forefront of my memory so I hope I have not confused you.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Sarah,

Sent you an article on Stannington....

Look at page 223 It gives a good account of the Goodison family of Stannington and there is a John mentioned there.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Elaine in Ottawa
Sarah,

Look at page 223 It gives a good account of the Goodison family of Stannington and there is a John mentioned there.

Elaine in Ottawa.
Thanks so much Elaine. I am still new to the research and am learning lots of interesting facts about how things were done back then. I appreciate all your help. I look forward to visiting the UK again and going to visit the areas my ancestors lived. :-)

Elaine in Ottawa
Sarah,

Elaine in Ottawa.
I just checked my email and spam folder but I don't have anything from you.

Elaine.... re How sure are you that John is the father of Benjamin and that his birth year is correct.
I am looking at the parent of Charlotte Goodison (the one who had a lot of illegitimate children). I believe her father was John and wanted to know more about him as I think there are more connections....

Have tried again fingers crossed that it makes it.

Elaine in Ottawa.

If you’re hungry for background reading, a lady called Julia Elizabeth Hatfield wrote a dissertation called “Continuity and change in a Pennine community: the township of Stannington c.1660-c.1900” for her PhD at Sheffield Uni in 2002 – you can find it on line with a bit of googling for "Julia Elizabeth Hatfield Continuity and change in a Pennine community".

It’s really good and Ms. Hatfield did a lot of research into families with deep roots in Stannington/Bradfield (including of course the Goodisons, and some of my ancestors, the Oates).

Admittedly, I've only scanned through it, but it's not heavy going or super-academic. It is pretty long though, and it's in two parts.

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Hi Andrew,

Thats the Article I sent to Sarah.

"Edge" seems to hold on to material I try and send so have now resent it with gmail.

Elaine.

Sarah,

If you look at our Parish Records page over to the left scroll down you will see the following.

Registry of Bradfield, in the Diocese of York, 1559 to 1727

https://archive.org/details/registersofbradf01brad/page/n4/mode/2up

That will help you get back further.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Thank you Andrew and Elaine. Looking forward to long weekend of reading and researching.😀