Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re:George Henry Blackwell

George Henry Blackwell is my paternal grandfather. He died at Wadlsey Mental Hospital (later Middlewood) in 1943 aged 61. He was buried in Shiregreen cemetery on Jan 14 1943. His birth certificate gives Annie ( only a cross no signature) as mother (no surname) and no father. He was born in 1883 at the Sheffield workhouse Pitsmoor. Any ideas how I can progress further?

Re: Re:George Henry Blackwell

Hi Kevin

George Henry Blackwell, born Dec 1883. Baptised:
12 March 1884 - St Lukes, Dyers Hill Sheffield
Mother: Ann Elizabeth, Single woman.
Address: 4 Navigation Hill Sheffield

If this is the right Ann(ie) on 1891 census she is married to Albert Lindley and living at Pye Bank, Sheffeild with her son George Henry Blackwell (born 1883) and their son Walter Lindley (born 1891).

Albert Lindley Bachelor, Cutter (aged 34) married Annie Elizabeth Medley Spinster (aged 24) address, 17 Allen Street in 1886 at Hollis Croft, Sheffield
Brides Father: William Medley (deceased), Painter
Grooms Father: Lewis Lindley, Cutter

Witnesses:Joseph and Emma Butcher

Denise

Hi Denise
Many thanks for this. I’ll have a look and let you know. Thanks again

Hi Denise
Reference your email regarding George Henry Blackwell, I have been digging a little further and I am not sure if the Annie you mention is the correct one.. The Annie on the certificate says she was a Table Knife Hafter of Blast lane Sheffield. Henry was born 3.11.1883 at the Sheffield Workhouse Pitsmoor and the birth was registered 23.11.1883 at the Brightside Bierlow workhouse.
Do you have any other suggestions? I have had a look at the census records for 1891, 1901 but cannot see any reference to either George Henry or Annie.

Kevin,
The baptism which Denise referred to is in the parish records over to the left. However our transcription does not say he was born in December 1883. Instead it says he was 4 months old.
That could easily mean he was born in November not December.
Dave
Edit, perhaps Vicki will check the original

Hi Kevin & Dave,

The only George Henry Blackwell I can see on Ancestry and the GRO Index is as follows.

Name: George Henry Blackwell
Registration Year: 1883
Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration district: Sheffield 9c 518
MMN.~

BLACKWELL, GEORGE HENRY -
GRO Reference: 1883 D Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 518

BLACKWELL, George Henry (of 4 Navigation Hill, born ~).
Baptised March 12, 1884, by W.H. Symond at St Luke, Dyers Hill.
Parents name(s) are Ann Elizabeth & ~ (single woman).
Note: 4mths
Godparents: ~ :Page No 32 :Reg No 254

Strange NO MMN entered on the GRO index.

Elaine.

Dave I no longer have the Original.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hi Kevin

The baptism I found for George Henry Blackwell would seem to fit with the information you have from his birth certificate.

Ann(ie) obviously went into the workhouse to give birth and it looks like she came straight out which is conceivable. The address on the baptism of Navigation Hill is the next street to Blast Lane on George Henrys birth certificate. So she returned to a familiar area(?)

The only George Henry Blackwell born 1883 in Sheffield is the one on the 1891 census with his mother Annie and her husband Albert Lindley (who she married in 1886) and their son Walter.

Ann(ie) Lindley died in August 1894 and on the 1901 census Albert is a widower living with his sons Walter (B 1891) and John W (born 1893). Annies burial is on this site over to the left - recorded as Ann Eth Lindley.

On 1st August 1901 George Henry Blackwell of Pye Bank (address with Annie and Albert on 1891 census) joined the Army - Yorks and Lancaster regiment (N0.9432). 5ft 4.5 inches, Grey Eyes and light Brown hair. He had broken service during a 10 year period, was re engaged and was finally discharged 31 Jul 1911.

Does any of that tie up with your Grandfather at all?

EDIT: the original baptism record does just say 4 months old at time of baptism.

Denise

Ann Elizabeth Medley was born illegitimate in Q4 1861 ecclesall bierlow. She would therefore be 22 yrs old give or take a couple of months when George Henry was born.
Cannot find her in 1871 or 1881 censuses.
HANNAH Medley married WILLIAM BLACKWELL in Sheffield 1866 and they went on to have children Ellen , john william and Rhoda all mmn Medley from GRO. They are in The 1881 CENSUS and he was a TABLE KNIFE HAFTER.
I assume Hannah was Ann Elizabeth's mother, explaining why Ann Elizabeth used the name Blackwell for her illegitimate child, and explains why she was a table knife hafter.
Dave

Denise,Elaine & Dave
Many thanks for your replies re by grandfather. It all looks a bit confused but I'll crack on and dig down.
Many thanks to you all
Regards
Kevin

Hi Kevin

Following on from Daves find in - August 1901 when George Henry joined the army and gave his address as Pye Bank (where he lived with Annie and Albert in 1891), George Henry is missing from the 1901 census, taken in April.

On the 1901 cenus Albert Lindley and his sons were no longer living at Pye Bank and we know that George Henry was no longer living with them at thier new address. BUT - there was a Blackwell family living on Pye Bank on the 1901 census. So it could make sense that after Annie died in 1894 George Henry went to live with the Blackwells (either before or when Albert Lindley moved).

Denise