Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holroyd Family late 18th century

Looking for more sources/info on Thomas (born 1777), his wife Sarah (born 1786) and his father Joseph (spelt Holroid in some records). They may have migrated from the Halifax area but I have run out of routes to explore. All thoughts welcome. Thanks

Re: Holroyd Family late 18th century

Hi David,

Have you checked out Family Search. There seems to be a well documented Family Tree there.

He was born 1776 father Benjamin.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Thanks Elaine. I'll follow up. Regards D

A Thomas Holroyd aged 72 was buried at St George's Church on 28th April 1847, he lived on Blue Boy street (off Allen street). At the 1841 census a Thomas Holroyd (rounded age 60)a filesmith, lived at Blue Boy Street with Sarah his wife (55 from Ireland) and their 15 year old son Henry.

Gunner Thomas Holroyd of the 4th Battalion Artillery became eligible for his army pension on 10th December 1815 at the age of 37 and a half. He was recorded as being a flesmith, born in Sheffield, height 5 ft 6 and a half inches, red haired with grey eyes and a fair complexion. He was noted as being a "York Fencible" (Fencibles were temporary units formed by locals under the command of a regular army officer and had no liability for overseas service - they were for defence only hence the name). The reason for claiming his pension was "debility".

Thank you Ted. Very interesting stuff. Can't find his marriage anywhere. Online searching not very helpful when I can't find how/when they came to be in Sheffield in the first place. Thanks again.
D

Hi David,

I think you have two families that could be your Thomas and maybe confusing you.

Observation. Family Search.

25 Feb 1776 Halifax Thomas Holroyd father Benjamin.

BUT.

Thomas Holroid 26th Jan 1777 at Sheffield Parish Church father Joseph.

The first Thomas in Halifax is still there in 1841.

The Sheffield baptised Thomas father Joseph is in Sheffield in 1841.

Access to a census might convince you which is the correct one.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Thank you. Sheffield is the correct one. Still hunting for marriage to Sarah. D

Hi David,

Tricky family.....

You said they were the Sheffield family and not the Halifax one. So we go from there.

We would have expected to find them in the Sheffield Parish Churches registers where I have not been able to spot them.

The 1841 census does indicate that Sarah was from Ireland.

I also found this burial.....at Sheffield Parish Church.
Sarah wife of Joseph Holroyd 12th Jan 1790.

Do you have the children born to this couple.... I can't see any before 1816.
Joseph and Mary followed by Henry in 1826.

Joseph was in the Army for 11yrs+ maybe he didn't marry (for a 2nd time?) until he was discharged?

Who of their children are you following??

Elaine in Ottawa.

Thanks Elaine.
We have the following as children of Sarah & Joseph: Thomas 26 January 1777; Sarah 25 July 1779; Joseph & Mary 14 July 1782.
We are back to Thomas who is our main interest here and is a direct line to my maternal ancestors.
Thank you for Sarah details. Her marriage remains elusive.
D

According to the Company of Cutlers Apprentice Records: a Thomas Holroyd, son of Joseph Holroyd (a labourer) was apprenticed for 7 years in 1791 to John Spurr, a filesmith.

Thanks Ted.These are very interesting to us as being in Devon we have little or no access to sources of information in Sheffield. Neither do we have much in the way of Holroyd family archive.
Unless we are not looking at the right websites of course which at our ages is always possible!
D

David
Just in case you have not realised it the file that ted referred to can be viewed right here on this website. Look over to the left to the list of links.
Click on Apprentices and Freemen and you will get an alphabetical list. You just have to page through it to Spurr.
The record shows that Thomas did not bother to purchase a trade mark after he completed his apprenticeship in 1798, which would be age 21. Therefore it is a good assumption that he would have continued to work for Spurr, or perhaps someone else. He never obtained his own trade mark.
Dave

Thanks to all who responded. We are following these up.
Just one final query - Thomas (1777-1847) we have no date or details for marriage with Sarah and no evidence of children other than Henry born 1827.
Have tried all the usual places (except Find My Past). Any clues, anyone?
David

Despite my earlier posting (!) the York Fencibles were posted in Belfast from about 1795 to 1801 (see for example https://www.royalyork.org.uk/2016/01/york-fencible-regiment-of-infantry.html ). As Sarah was Irish there is a possibility he met her while stationed in Ireland and maybe married her there. Although this widens the possibilities, I still haven't been able to find any possible marriages on FMP.

Hi David

I think Elaine identified a couple of potential children for Sarah Ann and Thomas

Do you have the children born to this couple.... I can't see any before 1816.
Joseph and Mary followed by Henry in 1826.

Joseph and Mary were baptised together in Sheffield 12 May 1816, with both born 7 Apr 1816 (twins). To mother Sarah, Father Thomas (Filesmith). I think those baptisms are on this site over to the left under 'Parish Records'.( Note: this site has Joseph as being born 7 Apr 1815, but on the original baptism record it is 7 Apr 1816)

There are corresponding burials for:

Mary Holroyd, Burial 20 March 1817. aged 1, St Peter and St Paul Cathedral Sheffield. Daughter of Thomas Holroyd,Filesmith, address Furnace Hill, Sheffield.

Joseph Holroyd, Burial 9 April 1817, aged 1, St Peter and St Paul Cathedral Sheffield. Son of Thomas Holroyd, Filesmith, address Furnace Hill, Sheffield

EDIT: Furnace Hill is near to Blue Boy Street/Allen Street where Thomas, Sarah Ann and Henry lived later.

Denise

A big thank you to everyone. We are following up. D