Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Navy help

I am trying to find information on Navy records for :- Alfred Marshall dob 1889- 1957 Sheffield married Beatrice Ann Stevens dob 1887-Feb 1965 Sheffield. Alfred was in the navy I have found an entry on Ancestry but not sure if this is the right person, he is listed as Commander Signal Boatswaine. I know he had an important job in the navy as photos of him show him in navy uniform of some authority. After he left the navy he went on to manage the Brown Bear pub in the Wicker. I am also trying to find where both him and his wife were buried but need more information first. Your help would be appreciated.

Re: Navy help

Hi Marlene,

Just to give you a gentle nudge..... If you look to the left in the index you will see
where it says Burial Records.

Start there as you have his year of death.
Check FreeBMD for the qtr etc and the reference number....You may want to send for his death certificate.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Hello Marlene
An Alfred Marshall, aged 68 was cremated at City Road Crematorium on 19 September 1957
The Cremation Number is :29435 and Bereavement Services can tell you what happened to his remains. kind regards, Christine Steers. ps This info is from an Index only.

I am interested in Alfred Marshall's navy records I have been trying to find out where he was based or what position he held and what ship he would have served on also not sure when he enlisted or when he left the navy, to start as the manager of the Brown Cow pub in Sheffield Wicker, I know he left the navy around 1956 and I think they went to live in Chapeltown? Any information would be much appreciated as I am trying to put together his family tree and keep coming up against these brick walls.

Marlene, Alfred Marshall dob 29 sept 1888 was appointed Commander Signal Boatswain in May 1918.
There is a record on him at National Archives and you can download it for £3.50.
Google Alfred Marshall Boatswain and it is one of the first 10 answers
Dave

Alfred signed up for 12 years - he served from 29th November 1906 until 1918, his last duty on board ship ending 19th May 1906 (on the Pembroke) but he was promoted to Acting Signals Boatswain on the 20th. You can download his service record for free here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xg1s1axn6ige5ag/Alfred%20Marshall%20RN.jpg?dl=0

Thank you Dave and Ted for confirming this information for me. I found this information on Ancestry but was not sure if I had the right person. When you have no one to ask sometimes it is a guessing game and that can lead you into lots of problems.