Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MARION RUSHFORTH

I am now looking for the birth record of a Marrion Rushforth who was born c1930 Her Father was John Rawson Rushorth his first wife Edith Emma Seston died in 1928 in Worksop and he Married Dorothy Enda Hand in 1934 in Worksop So Marrion. could Marrion be the daughter of Dorothy's first marriage which I have not found. There is a Marrion Rushforth who was born 1931 in Birkenhead I have checked this one out but she is not the one I am looking for.
My very best wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft.

Re: MARION RUSHFORTH

Hi Fred

According to the Nottinghamshire Electoral Rolls, after Edith Emma dies in 1928, John Rawson is living in the same house in Sandy Lane Worksop, but with a Doris Ethel Wigginton in 1929 and 1930.

The Electoral Rolls stop there so they may have lived together a little longer? So Marion could have been born to John and Doris (but I havent yet found any corresponding birth).

Then as we know John marries Dorothy Edna Hand. I found a Dorothy Edna Hand born in 1899 in Lincolnshire. That matches Ednas birth on the 1939 register, so she was never married before John Rawson.

Also in 1929 and 1930 Dorothy Edna Hand was also living in Sandy Lane Worksop with a Mark and Emily Gunby.

Interestingly when John Rawson dies in 1958 theres no mention of Marion in his will (was she still alive then?)

'Rushforth John Rawson,of 352 Carlton Road Worksop,Nottinghamshire died 24 April 1958. Probate London 26 September. To Dorothy Edna Rushforth widow, Joseph Rawson Rushforth Police Sergeant and Jack Rushforth Detective Sergeant. Effects £222.17s.9d'

Still trying to find a birth for Marion!!

Denise

Fred,
Do you have the certificate for the marriage in Worksop in 1958 of Marion Rushforth?.
If so can you please provide the full details.
Dave

Hi Dave,
Thank you very much for you very kind reply, First I am very sorry for the mistaken estimated year of Marions birth it should be 1940 My fingers are too big for this keyboard.Her Marriage certificate states that she married Clive Geoffrey Swingler on the 16 - 08 - 1958 at the Wesley Methodist Church, Newcastle Street Worksop Nottingham.Fathers given name John Rawson Rushforth. In the presence of Barbara Ager? and Reginald Derek Askew and Reginald T. Wagstaffe ?I am sorry I can not really make the two ? names but that is what they look like.
Many thank for the time and trouble in assisting me.
My very best wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft.

Hi Denise,
Thank you very much once again. Sorry for the wrong estimated year of birth it should be 1940.
Marion Married Clive Geoffery Swingler 16 - 08 - 1958 Jul - Sep - 1958 Vol 3c Page 1300, Clive was born Oct - Dec - 1934 in Worksop Vol 7b Page 33, died 21 - 04 2011 age 76 I have not found any death record for Marion or if they had any children. I have found that Dorothy Edna Rushforth Married Leslie Baker Oct - Dec - 1959 in Worksop Vol 3c Page 961 and died in Jan - Mar - 1978 age 78 in Worksop Vol 8 Page 1678. Her Husband Leslie was born 10 - 10 - 1902 Oct - Dec - 1902 in Worksop Vol 7b Page 29 and died 01 - 12 - 1981 age 79 Oct - Dec - 1981 Vol 8 Page 1522.
My very best wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft.

Fred,
The 1939 Register has John R Rushforth b 1884 with wife Dorothy b1899 in Worksop. There is one other person, closed record.
The register was taken in September 1939, so it could be Marion.
The probate info found by Denise shows Joseph and Jack. They were John's sons born in 1914 and 1921, mmn Seston. It looks like it was just probate, not a will, so it would make sense that Marion would not necessarily be named.
Dave

Hi Fred

It looks like Marion and Clive Swingler had 2 children:

Paul A Swingler in 1960 in Worksop. mmn Rushforth
Rosalind L Swingler in 1961 in Worksop. mmn Rushford

No trace of Marion after Clive died in 1911. But Rosalind married a Mark A Phillips in Linconshire in 1982 and looking at Electoral Rolls it seems they lived most of their life there.

There is a Marion Swingler listed in Lincolnshire 2014-2019, so maybe Marion moved to Lincolnshire to be near Rosalind after Clive died (?).

But still cant find either a death or birth for her.

I cant find any children for Rushforth with mmn Hand and John Rawson and Dorothy had been married 5/6 years when Marion was born, so I'm wondering if Marion could have been adopted?

Denise

Fred and Denise.
My apologies. I misinterpreted the probate record. In 1958 Probate would have been granted equally to John's widow and all his living natural children. Therefore Denise's assumption is correct. Marion was adopted.
The law on this, giving equal inheritance right to an adopted child, did not happen until 1976.
Dave