Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ERNEST WHITFIELD

Hi, I am looking for Ernest Whitfield the husband of Elizabeth Chattaway Nee Edgar they married on the 02 - 10 - 1948 in Brighouse Ernest's age at the time if the wedding was 65,giving his birth as c1883 Ernest's father is named as Charles Whitfield (deceased).
Elizabeth's first husband was Bertie R Chattaway they married Jul - Sep - 1928 in Halifax Vol 9a Page 1120. if any one know's when and where Ernest was born and who was his parent's I would be very grateful for any information.
My very best wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft.

Re: ERNEST WHITFIELD

Hi Fred,

Does the marriage give Ernest's occupation?

Moira.

Hi Fred

If this is the correct Ernest he was a Boatman? So...

Ernest Whitfield, Born 17 May 1833, GRO 1883, Q2, Dewsbury, Vol 9B, Page 653

Baptised: 1 Aug 1883 at Christ the King, Battyeford
Father Charles Whitfield, Occupation: Waterman
Mother: Eliza Ann Carter
Address: Stocks Bank

(You might remember I'm related to the Chattaways by marriage (Janet Chattaway married my cousin. And I'm now doing Janets Family tree for her but have only just started so not done much on the Chattaways yet)

Denise

Hi Fred and Denise,

I had already found the information on the above Ernest, but was hoping Fred
could confirm Ernest's occupation.

The baptism above also gives his date of birth as 17 May 1883.

1939 register, Manor Road, Wakefield, Yks.
Ernest Whitfield born 17 May 1883, Canal Boatman (Captain).And ....?NAV. Widowed.

1911 census, Hy Boat (No 19)
Ernest Whitfield, Crew, 27, married, Mate of Fly Boat, Aire & Calder Nav', worker,
born Mirfield, Yks.

1901 census, Stocks Bank, Mirfield, Dewsbury, Yks.
Charles Whitfield, 52, Canal Boat Man, (own acct), born Lepton, Yks.
Eliza Ann Whitfield, wife, 51, born Kirkheaton Yks.
Mary Elizth' Whitfield, dau, 20, Blanket weaver (woollen), born Mirfield.
ERNEST Whitfield, son, 17, Horse driver canal boat, born Mirfield, Yks.
Harrison Whitfield, son, 10, born Mirfield, Yks.

In 1911, Charles, Eliza Ann and son Harrison are at Winn Row, Stocks Bank,
Mirfield, Yks.

Halifax Evening Courier, 4 July 1913.
West Riding Quarter Sessions.
Re two charges against a man called Joe Hindley. One of them reads.....
He was charged with stealing a suit of clothes, the property of Ernest Whitfield,
from the boat, Eliza Ann, in the Anchor Wharf, Brighouse, on March 22, 1913.

Moira.

Hi Moira

Thanks for pointing out my Typo on the Birth date - Should indeed say 1883 (apologies Fred). Thats what happens when you're typing late at night!!

Denise

Hi Moira,
Thank you very much for your very kin reply and valued information it looks like I have been chasing the wrong Ernest Whitfield. Yes Ernest finished up as a canal boat captain. With you very good assistance once again I have now sorted this side if the family.
My very best wishes.
Fred wheatcroft.

Hi Denise, Thank you very much for your very kind reply and valued information. I have now sorted this side of the family with all the four marriages between this side of the family.
If you think I may be able to help you with the Chattaway - Wheatcroft families please let me know and I will do my very best for you. My family tree is on the Genes Reunited Site if you have access drop me a line on Genes Reunited and I will give you Access to my family tree
My very Best wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft.