Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Missing birth record

I am following a Alfred Goodison and wife Fanny Mitchell. Census shows 5 sons, I have managed to find birth records for each except the first born Sam (samuel) supposedly born around 1872. Harry and Frank, born Rotherham then next two Willey and Joseph born Sheffield. MMN Mitchell. I have tried variations for the first born but am wondering if this was born before their marraige and not a Goodison?

Re: Missing birth record

Sarah , see Gro index March Quarter 1872 Rotherham Sam Mitchell born illegitimate.
Dave

Hi Sarah,

Samuel son of Fanny Mitchell of Tinsley, born 20 Dec 1871 and baptised
1 Jan 1872 at Tinsley.

Moira.

Thanks Guys :grinning:

Hoping i am following correct Alfred tbh as I cannot find a copy of the marriage certificate to check on the parents. Alfred's father was Benjamin Goodison. If anyone can please check on findmypast please?

Hi Sarah,

Marriage 26 Aug 1872, Sheffield Parish Church.
Alfred Goodison, 27, Bat, Grinder, Eyre Street, father, Benjamin Goodison, grinder.
Fanny MItchell, 21, Spin, of Eyre Street, father, Samuel Mitchell, roller.
Witnesses: Ellen Mitchell and Jno. Briggs.

Moira.

Moira Hyde
Hi Sarah,

Marriage 26 Aug 1872, Sheffield Parish Church.
Alfred Goodison, 27, Bat, Grinder, Eyre Street, father, Benjamin Goodison, grinder.
Fanny MItchell, 21, Spin, of Eyre Street, father, Samuel Mitchell, roller.
Witnesses: Ellen Mitchell and Jno. Briggs.

Moira.
Thanks so much Moira.On the right track :P

So Sam Mitchell. I can only trace him as Sam Goodison and he appears to have taken this name through to marriage. Is this normal/acceptable legally? Wouldn't he have had a birth certificate to prove his name on marriage?

Nothing illegal. Absolutely normal. No requirement to have birth cert for marriage.
There was no formal adoption system in those days. The choice of which name was used was entirely at the persons discretion. Some retained the mother maiden name, openly admitting they were illegit. Some would openly admit it on the marriage by not declaring a father name. Some would try to conceal the illegitimacy and Invent a father name on marriage. That invented name may be the mothers later husband. Maybe he really was the father, maybe not.
Dave

Thanks Dave - I am learning quite a lot on this research adventure...

Sarah, you may have been lucky on this one. Fanny gave birth to Sam on 20 Dec 1871, so she must have conceived around the end of March 1871. The census was on 2nd April. If you find where Fanny and Alfred were living, and with whom, in the 1871 census you may be able to imply whether they were likely have been able to get together.
Dave