Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
baptism record

I am looking for a baptism or christening record for Albert Goodison, born 1876 - in Rotherham. Parents Fred Goodison and Sarah (Hastings). I find it strange he was born in Tinsley, rotherham (as per census records over decades) when his siblings and family come from Wortley?
Very confused so thinking a baptism or christening record may help ?

Thanks

Re: baptism record

The 1891 census is interesting, because the children listed all have different places of birth: Albert in Tinsley like you said, Charlotte in Owlerton, Tom in Loxley, and Alexander in Carbrook. I wonder if old Mr. Goodison just kept the family moving around for some reason? Sorry I couldn't find a baptism record for Albert or for his sister Charlotte.

Alexander, born 2 June 1886 was baptised on 23 June 1886 in St. Bartholomew's, Carbrook, son of Fred (a carter) & Sarah, address 7 Pickering St. Tom, born 9 February 1884, was baptised on the same day as his brother Alexander (it's on the next line in the same book). Hope that's at least of some help somehow.

Cheers,

Andrew P.

Andrew Pearson
The 1891 census is interesting, because the children listed all have different places of birth: Albert in Tinsley like you said, Charlotte in Owlerton, Tom in Loxley, and Alexander in Carbrook. I wonder if old Mr. Goodison just kept the family moving around for some reason? Sorry I couldn't find a baptism record for Albert or for his sister Charlotte.

Alexander, born 2 June 1886 was baptised on 23 June 1886 in St. Bartholomew's, Carbrook, son of Fred (a carter) & Sarah, address 7 Pickering St. Tom, born 9 February 1884, was baptised on the same day as his brother Alexander (it's on the next line in the same book). Hope that's at least of some help somehow.

Cheers,

Andrew P.
Thanks Andrew. Yes helpful. Any information is always useful :grinning:

Hi Sarah et al,

I have not found a baptism however the birth registration details are:

ALBERT GOODINSON (not Goodison)
1875 DECEMBER QTR.
ROTHERHAM DISTRICT
VOLUME: 9C
PAGE: 617
MMN: HASTINGS

Ref: GRO Reg.

HAPPY HUNTING :sleuth_or_spy:

Hi all,

Charlotte was also registered as Goodinson:

Charlotte Goodinson
Q4, 1879
Wortley
Vol 9c
Page 265
MMN HASTING (no s )

Denise

Sarah,

Another bit of random information - because in another thread you were asking about the Wortley Union. Two members of the Goodison family paid fines for failing to send their children to the Wortley Union School regularly - William Goodison, Townend, Stannington, grinder and Lewis Goodison, Wood lane, Stannington, grinder were each fined 5 shillings for contravention of the Education Act (according to the Sheffield Independent of Saturday 15 October 1881).

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew Pearson
Sarah,

Another bit of random information - because in another thread you were asking about the Wortley Union. Two members of the Goodison family paid fines for failing to send their children to the Wortley Union School regularly - William Goodison, Townend, Stannington, grinder and Lewis Goodison, Wood lane, Stannington, grinder were each fined 5 shillings for contravention of the Education Act (according to the Sheffield Independent of Saturday 15 October 1881).

Cheers,

Andrew.
Thanks Andrew. I love random information.

In fact I love information :-)