Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is William Washington's mother Read Sara or Jane in his Baptism?

I would like to explain the Latin Word's that are in William Washington's Baptism. I have read this document several times along with all the other Baptism's that are on this page to get an idea of the pattern of what is being written in the Latin and this is what I see. Starting with William Washington, which is written this way: (BUT it's still hard to tell if the writer was writing a J or an S for his mother's name. It would appear that writer made his J's different than his S).
B "Gulielmus fil. Joh. et. Jane Washington de Leek bap. 28"

Latin Word's = English Words [(B) Standstand's for Baptism before the name]
Gulielmus = William
Fil. (Abrev. for Filius) = Son
Joh. (Abrev. for John or Jonathan)
et. = and
Jane = Jane or is it Sara = Sarah ? (Look at other written J and S)
de = of
Leek = Leek (Township they were from)
bap. - baptism
28 = day of baptism

So, it Reads in English:
B William son of John (or Jonathan) and Jane Washington of Leek, baptism 28
See baptism for other examples, which follow the same example.

Who do you think is the mother Jane or Sara?

Also what if the Joh is Tho. for Thomas?

In Leek Staffordshire, England there was a Thomas Washington married to a Jane.
And there was a John Washington married to a Sara or Sarah.

Which couple do you think is correct for this Baptism.

Re: Is William Washington's mother Read Sara or Jane in his Baptism?

Hi Cathi,

Do you actually have the copy of the baptism (not the transcription)?

I have just checked Family Search and there are two baptisms for William (same day) and the mother is quoted as you said Sarah or Jane.

I would start there.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Washington Family.

I have used Family Search and FMP.

I first checked the Cutlers apprenticeship List and as Dave mentioned they are the only Washington Family in there.

Two brothers Joseph and Thomas.

One probably born in 1760 and the other 1751.

From FMP Joseph baptised Aug 23/1760 Parents William and Eleanor.
Thomas baptised 23 June 1751 parents William and Eleanor.

William & Eleanor show in your list of children.

Williams marriage to Ellin/Eleanor Hollinshead 31st Dec 1748 St Edwards Church Leek.
That would fit the timeline for children being born to this couple.

Thomas married Elizabeth Garbett by Licence in Leek. and seems to have died there in 1829.

Joseph I could not find a burial but then again if he stayed in Sheffield I didn't look there.

I would say to go through the Parish Registers of St Edwards Leek and see if you can find any other info.

Elaine.

The Actual Copy of the Document is on findmypast.com. That is where I got my copy of the actual baptism. It's worth going an taking a look. I've seen what Family History.com has it's just someone's idea, FMP has the the original to look at

Elaine in Ottawa
Washington Family.

I have used Family Search and FMP.

I first checked the Cutlers apprenticeship List and as Dave mentioned they are the only Washington Family in there.

Two brothers Joseph and Thomas.

One probably born in 1760 and the other 1751.

From FMP Joseph baptised Aug 23/1760 Parents William and Eleanor.
Thomas baptised 23 June 1751 parents William and Eleanor.

William & Eleanor show in your list of children.

Williams marriage to Ellin/Eleanor Hollinshead 31st Dec 1748 St Edwards Church Leek.
That would fit the timeline for children being born to this couple.

Thomas married Elizabeth Garbett by Licence in Leek. and seems to have died there in 1829.

Joseph I could not find a burial but then again if he stayed in Sheffield I didn't look there.

I would say to go through the Parish Registers of St Edwards Leek and see if you can find any other info.

Elaine.
Hi Elaine, Yes I have done that. I have gone through FMP and Ancestry and Family History. I'm hoping there is more than what has been placed on those three places. Thank you. Cathi G. PS: I have also written an e-mail to the Cutler's Website that Dave mentioned a couple of days ago. So, I am waiting on their response and will let everyone know what I find out, when their response comes back.

Oh: Joseph Washington was baptized on the 23 August 1760 in Leek County Staffordshire, England
Joseph's Burial was on the 6 January 1836 in Sheffield, Cathedral of St Peter & St. Paul, County YOrkshire, England and he was the the Joseph Washington, Cutler of Pea Croft

Hi Cathi,

I had already checked FMP for those baptisms 1751 & 1760.

There are four burials prior to 1800 at Sheffield Parish Church. Do you have those?

Elaine.

I do have a copy of William Washington's Burial Dated: 27 Jan. 1800 St Edward's Parish, Leek, Staffordshire, England. It says he was 70 years old which is about right.

And I have a copy His Wife Eleanor's Burial: 17 Jan. 1793 • St. Edwards Parish, Leek, County Staffordshire, England

and I have a copy of the Burial for their son Thomas Washington: 31 March 1829 • St. Edwards Parish, Leek, County Stafford, England

And I have a Copy of the Burial for Thomas Wife, Elizabeth (Garbaett) Burial 15 May 1814
Burial place Leek, St Edward

I have gone over my workings of yesterday.

I miss spoke myself when I said I had found William 1729 baptisms. It was his marriage I had seen.(1748) I am still not turning the baptisms up on either FMP or Ancestry.

There is his transcription on Family Search that I had mentioned.(Mothers name Sarah or Jane)

The four Washington burials I mentioned from Sheffield Parish Church do you have those???

Elaine in Ottawa.

NOTE...... Found him under Gulielmus on FMP. I would say the mothers name is Jane.

There is a Sara and Jane written much clearer on the page. I compared them.

The information from the Apprenticeship List matches the info from Leek i.e. baptisms etc.

Hi Ellen:

Have you tried using William Washington's Latin name Gulielmus Washngton at fmp? If not give it try and put 1729 in the birth box and 1729 in the Event box. That should bring his baptism record up.

Yea I do believe I have all the Burial's, but I'm going to do another sweep through FMP just using the name Washington's for Sheffield, since there seems to be only one family, Joseph and his wife Mary Hough and his son Joseph and Mary Bright and see, if anything else I am missing. I did notice a Washington Burial in 1793 with no first name. Need to go and check out further. I Think it was probably Samual Washington's Baptism, you can see Son and Joseph and Mary the parents. So, most likely the 1st Joseph Washington, son of William and Mary Hough's son.

I can only find one Jane, on the facing page, the mother of Benjamin TURNER and that J is like the J of John.

I am confident that the name is Sara. Sara appears twice in the preceding entry and in the second of those the final 'a' is very like the one in the Washington entry - an unclosed letter with a small loop around the top of the last vertical stroke. There are other similar 'a's on the page and also upper case 'S's like the one in this name.

Hugh

ps not relevant to the question, but 'Spuria' in the previous entry means 'b___ard'

I would like to mention that there is a Burial for Jane Washington on the 20 Sept. 1761 • Leek, County Staffordshire, England. I am assuming she must be the wife of Thomas Washington. Not John Washington, John was married to a Sara (Sarah) Correct
First name(s): Thomas
Last name: Washington
Marriage year: 1734
Marriage date: 27 Nov 1734
Marriage place Leek, St Edward
Denomination: Anglican
Spouse's first name(s): Jane
Spouse's last name: Birch
Spouse's residence: Horton
County Staffordshire:
Country England:
Archive reference: D1040/5/3
Register type: Baptism & marriage
Record set: Staffordshire Marriages
Category: Birth, Marriage & Death (Parish Registers)
Subcategory: Parish Marriages
Collections from: England, Great Britain
This Jane was buried on the 20th of September 1761 in Leek.
The other Choice would be: John and his marriage to Sarah, BUT THAT marriage is NOT found.
There is a Marriage between Johannes (Jhn.) Washington and Hanna (BUT THAT IS NOT the Name Sara not even Close.)
First name(s) Johannes
Last name Washington
Marriage year 1726
Marriage date 10 Apr 1726
Marriage place Leek, St Edward
Denomination Anglican
Residence Leek
Spouse's first name(s) Hanna
Spouse's last name Low
Spouse's residence Leek
County Staffordshire
Country England
Archive reference D1040/5/3
Page 161
Register type Baptism & marriage
Record set Staffordshire Marriages
Category Birth, Marriage & Death (Parish Registers)
Subcategory Parish Marriages
Collections from England, Great Britain