Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Marriage certificates

Hi, I have posted on here before and received lots of help.
I subscribe to ancestry, I use this site, gro and free bmd, also family search but I still struggle to locate marriage certificates.

Do I have to join another site?

I have a family member, Emily Goodison 1850,from bradfield/wortley Sheffield. Marry a Walter Goodison, but again unsure which one. Two Walter's and can't find parents of Walter, one has no mmn on gro. Both Walter's born around 3 years apart 1847 1850 in Sheffield area.
Any help or guidance appreciated.

Sarah

Re: Marriage certificates

Hi Sarah,

Marriage 14 July 1872, St Nicholas, Bradfield.
Walter Goodison, 25, Bat, Presser of Stannington, father, Charlotte Goodison, Spinster.
Emily Goodison, 22, Spin, of Stannington, father, Benjamin Goodison, Labourer.
Witnesses: Fred Goodison and William Goodison.

I have to add, this is a first for me, I have never seen the mothers name
entered in the fathers column.

Moira.

Thanks Morira - so no father noted?

Hi Sarah,

I have checked the marriage and at least two census and the couple constantly state they were born at Stannington.

I also noted that Emily's father is stated as Benjamin and Walters mother as Charlotte. (Yes very very unusual that the mothers name is given) but great.

Could Charlotte & Benjamin be siblings?

Our baptismal/marriage records unfortunately only cover from 1723-1840 (St Nicholas Bradfield) but at a later date we could be adding more recent years.

The marriage at Bradfield 14th July 1872 Emily was 22 and Walter 25. He was a Presser which corresponds with later census. They lived in Walkley just across the valley from Stannington.

There seem to be a large number of Goodisons in the Stannington area. Is it possible they could have also been Methodists and a reason for them not showing in our baptisms. i.e. Christ Church Stannington.

Elaine in Ottawa.

PS. Please note I had reversed the Bride & Grooms parents in my first message. I have corrected it
now.

Instant Messenger: Skype

Adding to my previous message.

I have found baptisms for more of Benjamin and Eliza children at KNOWLE TOP Chapel Stannington.

Note this one entry.

1850 2nd Sep Emily Goodison 1 mths Parents Benjamin & Eliza

I believe that the baptisms start 1838.

Benjamin & Eliza look to have baptised nine children.

No mention of Walter.

Elaine in Ottawa.

PS Just checked UNDERBANK Chapel Stannington.

No Walter mentioned.......
BUT..
This entry caught my eye......

Joseph Goodison/Crookes.....17th July 1842 son of Charlotte spinster and Paul of Stannington. Farm servant Hounsfield. Born 2nd July 1842.

Charlotte Goodison was baptised at St Nicholas Bradfield 1819.
Check our transcription under Parish Records.

Maybe there is a *******y Bond at Bradfield Archives. DaveT can probably help you there.

Elaine in Ottawa.

There is no record in the Bradfield Archives of the name Charlotte Goodi(n)son or Walter Goodi(n)son
Goodi(n)son was a very very common name in Sheffield and Bradfield and Ecclesfield in the 19TH CENTURY.
Dave

Sarah, in answer to your question about full marriage records. Find my past website has a lot of these.
Dave

Hi Sarah,

By using Charlotte's baptismal record (St Nicholas)and from that (which you will find in our Parish Records over to the left) you can follow her and her parents back. We also have St Nicholas marriages as well. They go back to 1723 and then we have a link which will go back further.

Civil Registration Started July 1st 1837 so NO marriage certificates until then. Prior to that date you will have to reply on Parish Registers.

Sheffield Archives where all Ecclesiastical Parish Registers have been deposited was filmed by "FindMyPast". NOT sure if they have everything on line as yet. Thats a fee paying site.

My advice is to get to know what we have have transcribed (free) and if its still not giving you the person you want just post a name and date to this Forum.

Elaine in Ottawa.

In addition to the very unusual entry of Charlotte Goodison Spinster as Walter's father, and Elaine already found the Underbank birth of Joseph, (with a named father not her husband), it seems there were 3 other illegitimate children to her.
In the Parish Registers , Baptisms over to the left do the following search:
In Area put *Stan*
In surname put *Good*son*
In Mother name put *Charlotte*
The asterisks are important.
I suppose there may have been more than one Charlotte, if not, then she seems to have been very busy, and happy to record these illegitimate births.
The marriage records for those other children could be informative.

Dave

Thanks everyone for your help. Thanks in particular for explaining the search engine Dave. I always use * but not in this way so hoping to shed more light on the family.

This may not be relevant, but the witnesses to the 1872 marriage, Fred and William GOODISON, also witnessed an IBBOTSON/BELL marriage that preceded the GODDISON one on the same day.

Hugh