Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WW1 Medal

Hi, I am trying to find some information about a Henry Percy Staniforth Private 55484 West Yorkshire Regiment - Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry. I believe he lived in Sheffield. I have a WW1 British War Medal and need to know more information about Henry from the War records but unfortunately I cannot find anything other than his Medal Rolls index Card which doesnt reveal any private information. Im hoping I can find his address and next of kin etc.
If anyone has access to war records and can help that would be great.
Thanks
Karen

Re: WW1 Medal

Hi

I have found his medal card and he is listed as Horace Percy Staniforth NOT Henry.

Is this correct?

Angela

Hi Angela, very sorry it is Horace not Henry (dont know why I put Henry). I also only found the medal roll card but nothing else.

Karen

Hi

In the 1911 census, I've found a Horace Percy Staniforth living at 16 Ward Place in Sheffield. He is only 11 years old though, he was born 2 August 1899, do you know if the medal was awarded during WW1? This Horace would have only been old enough to fight during the final year of the conflict, unless he lied about is age as many did. He died in 1964 and married the wonderfully named Nellie Peach in 1920. At the time of his marriage he was living at 7 Denby Street. He and Nellie had two daughters - Sheila was born in 1923 and Marion born in 1924.

Just found him in the 1939 Register living with Nellie at 145 Mount Pleasant Road.

Carol

Hi Carol, from the Service Medal Reward Rolls on Ancestry it says the medal was awarded in 1920.
Ward Place, Denby Street and Mount Pleasant Road are all around the same area so it probably looks good.
What I want to do is go backwards to his father, grand father etc and just wanted to 100% know his next of kin which would have been shown on his enlistment records.
Looking at Horace Percy in 1911 his father is Percy Arnold so i'll go with that and see where I get.
Thanks