Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Joseph Washington - Looking for an Obituary

Hi: I am looking the Obituary of Joseph Washington, whose obituary was written on the 2 June 1876 in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph. According to the Obituary he died on March 1876. I would like very much to get a copy of that Obituary. I'm hoping that it will have more details to who his children were and where exactly he died. He may have died in America in Litchfield County, Connecticut. It appears that 4 of his children. William, Joseph, George and his daughter Mary Elizabeth all came to America and I have Obituaries for each of these children connecting him back to Joseph Washington of Sheffield a Knife maker. They all were Knife Makers too. Thank you for any help you can give me on this family. Sincerely, Cathi Gross
PS: Joseph Washington appears to have been bet. 1822-1830 in Sheffield, County Yorkshire, England. He first married Sarah Carnell about October 1848 in Sheffield, Yorkshire, England. There had these children:
1. William Washington Born: 7 November 1850, Sheffield, County Yorkshire< England and died on the 10th of January 1931 in Salisbury Li8tchfield Co., CO, USA. His wife was Esther A. Barker (1859-1948)
2. Mary Elizabeth "Polly" Born: July 1853, Sheffield County Yorkshire, England and died 11 Nov 1935 in Winsted, Litchfield Co., Connecticut. She married Walter Bramkmer 1848-1918. It appears they were both married in Sheffield, Yorkshire West Riding, England on the 14th of November 1870. They were in the USA by the 1900 U.S. Federal STate Census for Winchester, Litchfield Co., CO.
3. Margaret Washington Born: April 1855, Sheffield, County Yorkshire, England and died March 1937 in Sheffield, County Yorkshire, England. She married Thomas Braybrook on the 7th of July 1872 in Sheffield, County Yorkshire, England.
4. Joseph Washington, Jr. Born: January 1863, Sheffield, County Yorkshire, England and may have died on the 31st of March 1947 in Litchfield County, Connecticut, USA He was living in Bridgeport, Connecticut at the time of his little Brother George Washington's death on the 29th of September 1924, according to George's Obituary.
5. George Washington, Born September 1864/65, Sheffield, County Yorkshire, England, Died 29 of Sept. 1924, At the Home of his Daughter in Springfield, Hampden County, MA, USA. His wife was Mary A. Beauon (1868-1947)

Other Questions that I have: Did there father Joseph Washington come to America. There appears to be a Joseph Washington that died in March of 1876 in Litchfield County, CT, USA. He too was a Knife maker and appears to be the same age as this Joseph Washington that died also in March of 1876 in Sheffield, England. Could they be the same person?

Thank you for all your help, Sincerely, Cathi Gross (my e-mail Address: cathi@144web.com)

Re: Joseph Washington - Looking for an Obituary

Hi Cathi,

The death entry was in both the Sheffield Daily Telegraph and the Sheffield Independent,
dated 2 June 1876 and reads:
DEATHS.
WASHINGTON....In the month of March 1876, at Northfield Connecticut, United States
of America, Joseph Washington, cutler, formerly of Sheffield, son of the late
Joseph Washington, cutlery manufacturer, Sheffield, aged 41.

Moira.

Hi Cathi,

There is an earlier newspaper entry which read slightly differently.
Sheffield Independent, 15 April, 1876.
DEATHS
WASHINGTON...March 23 at Rithchfield, Connecticut, U.S. America, Joseph, eldest
son of Mr Joseph Washington, spring knife manufacturer, Leicester Street,
Sheffield, aged 46.

Moira.

Hi Cathi,

1841 census, Radford Place Bank, Sheffield.
Joseph Washington, 40.
Margaret Washington, 40.
Elizabeth Washington, 14.
Joseph Washington, 12, (1829).
Margaret Washington, 9.
John Washington, 4.
This entry is from the census in the left hand column on this site,
but, it is not on FMP. Ages in 1841 were rounded down to the nearest 5 or 0.

1851 census, 116 Pea Croft, Sheffield.
Joseph Washington, 56, (1795), Spring knife cutler employing 18 men & 1 Apprentice.
Mary Washington, wife, 57.
Elizabeth Washington, dau, 23.
Mary A. Washington, dau, 19.
John Washington, son, 14.

Joseph Washington aged 59 (1795), buried 13 Sep 1854, St George, Brook Hill,
Sheffield, of Pea Croft.

Sheffield Independent, 4 May 1876.
DEATHS
WASHINGTON...May 2, at Barker Pool, John youngest son of the late Joseph Washington,
spring knife manufacturer, Leicester Street, Sheffield, aged 37.

Burial, 6 Jan 1836, Sheffield Parish Church.
Joseph Washington of Pea Croft, cutler.
(Not quite sure where this Joseph fits in, but the address caught my eye).

Over in the left hand column under apprentices and freemen, there is an entry for
a Joseph and Thomas, sons of Wm. Washington, Leek, labourer. Two dates given.
The burial above could be this Joseph.

Moira.

The Apprentices and Freemen entry is very informative. It reads:
Washington Joseph and Thomas sons of William of Leek, lab. (1) to Parkin Thos c, 9 1772, F1803, (2) to Windle Ed, 7, 1765-1787 F1801.
This means that Joseph was apprenticed to Thomas Parkin, cutler for 9 years in 1772, so he would be 21 in 1772+9=1781, (born about 1760). However the final F1803 means he did not become an independent cutler until 1803 when he purchased his freedom (ie registered a trade mark). Presumably he continued to work for Parkin until then.
Thomas, his brother, was apprenticed to Ed Windle for 7 yrs in 1765, so he would be 21 in 1765+7 =1772 so born 1751. He apparently continued to work for Windle till 1787, but then presumably worked for someone else because he did not purchase his trademark until 1801.
It looks like we have 3 generations of Joseph Washingtons, born 1760, 1795 and 1729. The first is presumably the one who died in 1836, the second died in 1854 and the third in 1876 in USA.
I hope that helps to piece it together.
Dave

Over in the left hand column under 'Directories', there are two entries.

1833 Directory.
Jph. Washington (pen & pocket knife manfr)
Address: 49 Pea Croft.

1841 Directory.
Jph. Washington (Spring knife manufacturer)
Address: Ct 3 Leicester St., house, Radford Place.

So, Leicester Street was their place of work, and Radford Place where they
lived, ties up with the 1841 census.

Moira.

The death in 1868 of Sarah Washington age 41, wife of Joseph, is in the Burials over to the left.
Their two daughters Mary Elizabeth (to Brammer) and Margaret were married Sheffield 1870 and 1872. Was father Joseph present? He died in USA 1876.
Dave

The marriage certificate is on FMP of Mary Elizabeth she and her husband could not write and the witnesses were William Washington and Matilda Barratt. William could write Matilda could not Margaret married Thomas Braybrook and the witnesses were Walter Bramall and Mary Cummings? they both married at St George's church Brook Hill and Margaret's marriage cert is on FMP

Wow. . .This is a lot to digest. . .Thank you so very much for all of this. I do have a few more questions, if you don't mind and is there anyway, I could get copies of the Newspaper Obituaries? and possibly the Apprenticeship for Joseph and Thomas

First Question: OK The Obituaries prove that Joseph Washington, died on the 23-24 of March 1876 in The Town of Litchfield, Litchfield County, Connecticut and that he was the son of Joseph Washington of Spring Knife Company of Sheffield, Yorkshire, England. I have been able from a library Litchfield County, to get Joseph's death Record which was recorded in the Town of Litchfield in 1876. I have also found his Tombstone, which appears to be in the
Northfield Cemetery, Northfield, Litchfield County, Connecticut, USA Litchfield, Connecticut, USA. BUT the Tombstone says is wife was Elizabeth Born 1822-1882. And the 1880 U.S. Federal State Census for Litchfield, Litchfield County, CT. Has her with her youngest son George Washington Age 15, Apprentice Knife Maker, and her name "Eliza" Age 48, Mother of George.

Is there a Marriage Record: for Joseph Washington and Elizabeth "Eliza" _ _ _ _ _? Somewhere in Yorkshire, England Also, I find there is some confusion for me. I'm wondering if this is his 2nd or 3rd marriage. It appears that a Joseph Washington married a Sarah Carnell / Cornell on October 1848 in Sheffield, Yorkshire, England that they had these children (BUT it appears that Joseph or a Joseph Washington married Mrs. Harriet Scafe who was married to Robert Scafe THATS MY CONFUSION in the 1871 England Census It appears that Joseph was now married to this Harriet):
1. William Washington 1850-1931 (He is found living in Litchfield County, CT. USA
It appears that he may have married twice: 1. Matilda Barratt / Barrett (do you have a marriage date for this and where? and 2. Esther A. Barker, Children: Joseph Washington 1877-1907, Annie Elizabeth 1879-1967, Nellie Washington 1881-1962, William H. Washington 1883-1983 and Florence Washington 1886-1970. It would seem that most of his children were born in Yorkshire, England. So, both marriages must have taken place in Yorkshire, along with births. Esther A. Barker is the one who came to USA with William. I have Obituaries for them along with Census Records ETC.
2. Mary Elizabeth "Polly" Washington 1853-1935, Married Walter Brammer (Died in the USA)
3. Margaret Washington 1855-1937 married Thomas Braybrook, Stayed in Yorkshire, England
4. Joseph Washington, 1862/63 - 1947, Married Anne Elizabeth Jarvis, Children together were: George Washington 1885-1889, Margaret E. Washington, 1887-1983, Elizabeth Washington, 1889, Mary Elizabeth 1892-1975, Joseph Senior Washington 1903-1973. May have married a 2nd time to Josephine Bradbury Mills
5. George Washington September 1864 - 29 September 1924 This is my Daughter-in-laws 2nd Great Grandfather. He married Mary A. Beaujon and had these children: 1. Margaret Blanche 1887-1981, 2. Bertha May Washington 1889-1984, 3. George Robert Washington 1893-1963 (My Daughter-in-laws Great Grandfather), 4. Martha Elizabeth Washington 1909-1992

Hopefully someone can help me clear this up About Who Joseph was married too. And who was the Mother of his children. As a repeat his wives may have been these:
1. Sarah Carnell / Cornell married October 1848
2. Mrs. Harriet Scafe Married October 1870 (1871 England Census)
3. Elizabeth "Eliza" _ _ _ _ _? (Death Record in Litchfield Township, Litchfield Co., CT. Tombstone shared as wife of Joseph Washington and 1880 U.S. Federal State Census for Litchfield Co., CT, Mother of George Washington "Eliza")

Could there be two different Joseph Washington's during this time period that had similar children etc. I find this very perplexing and confusing. Would appreciate any help on this. Sincerely Cathi Gross (cathi@144web.com)

Hi Cathi,

Here are two marriages:

26 December 1870, St George, Sheffield.
Joseph Washington, 41, Widower, Spring knife cutler, Edward St.
father, Joseph Washington, spring knife cutler.
Harriet Scaife, 49, Widow, Edward St, father, WILLIAM SLATER, saw grinder.

5 June 1876, St Jude, Moorfields, Sheffield.
William Armitage, 56, widower, blade maker, Doncaster St. father, William Armitage,
shoemaker.
Harriet Washington, 56, widow, Doncaster St. Sheffield, WILLIAM SLATER, saw grinder.

As you can see, Harriet remarried not that long after the death of Joseph.

Did Joseph go to the USA with his son George and Harriet stayed in Sheffield?

Moira.

Cathi, it looks suspiciously like Joseph may have committed bigamy when he got to the States, or perhaps he did nothing illegal but found a partner in Eliza to look after his young children. If she simply lived with him as his wife but no actual marriage then totally legal. Presumably she was buried with him as his wife. If this is what happened then we will not find a third marriage
William married in Sheffield in 1871 to Mary Jane Griffith. His first wife. There is no death uin Sheffield for Mary Jane, and there were no children born in Sheffield to them. Therefore it looks likke she went to USA with him. Maybe she died en route or soon after arrival. Or perhaps she was left behind as well.
Dave
Edit, you can see the Apprentice Record in the Apprentice and Freemen file over to the left here.
Also you can see the burial record for Sarah Washington nee Carnall in the burial records here over to the left.

Cathi,
There is a death record fora Mary Jane Washington age 51, reg district Ecclesall Bierlow. If that was Williams wife and she was left behind then she would have been 17 when she married William in 1871. If that is true then William would not be free to legally marry until 1905.
Dave

Here is the marriage.

St George, 24 December, 1871.
William Washington, 21,B, Scale cutter, Brightmore St. father, Joseph Washington,
spring knife cutler.
Mary Jane Griffith, 18, S, Brightmore Street, father, William Griffith, spring
knife cutler.
Witnesses: John Washington and Margaret Washington.

In 1901, Mary J. Washington, boarder, married, 47.
She is boarding with James Buerbury 56 and his daughter aged 10.
The death in 1905 is a very good match.

Moira.

I really don't know when William Washington Born 7 Nov 1850 Sheffield, County Yorkshire, England married Esther A. Barker, born March 1859/1860, Parents: William Barker and Sarah Wright. William did not come with his father: Joseph Washington who died March 1876 in the Litchfield Township, Litchfield County, CT. (I have the Death Record from Litchfield and a picture of the tombstone for his father Joseph. I also have a copy of the passenger list for the Ship William and his wife and two children. The Ship: Britannic, Arrival Date 9 Aug 1880 • New York, New York. It list William Washington, his wife Easter and there two children: 1. Joseph Washington and 2. Annie Elizabeth Washington.

With the Birth of Joseph, eldest son of William and Esther being November 1877/78, Sheffield, County Yorkshire, England, I had assumed that Joseph was Esther's son, which would put the marriage date about 1776, if true.

New York, Passenger and Crew Lists (including Castle Garden and Ellis Island), Roll M237, 1820-1897 Roll 429, 22nd-25th Lines "The Ship: Britannic, Arrival Date 9 Aug 1880 • New York, New York"
Wm. Washington age 24
Esther age 21
Jos Age 2
Anne Infant

So, Esther came with with in 1880. Perhaps there was a divorce prior to this

This is what William Washington's Obituary says:
Newspaper: The Lakeville Journal, Vol. XXXIII, No. 23, Lakeville, Litchfield County, Conn. Date: Thursday, January 15, 1931, Price 5 Cents. (Right Column - Deah of William Washington SR.)
William Washington SR.
William Washington Aged 81 died at his home early last Saturday morning, after a considerable period of failing health
Mr. Washington was born in England but came to this county about 51 years ago. He Entered the employ of Salisbury Cutlery Handle Co., and remained with that company throughout the remainder of his life up till his health prevented active work.
He is survived his wife and four children, Mrs Frank Knickerbocker, Mrs. Mrs. Richard Parsons, Mrs. Robert Steadwell and William Washington Jr. One brother Joseph of Bridgeport, and one sister Polly of Winstead also survive. The Funeral was held at St. John's Church on Monday afternoon, the Rev. H.J. Chiera officiating. The bearers were grandsons of the diseased.

So, the Obituary does not mention his wife Easter. Just wife. . .
It does mention his brother Joseph who is still alive. His youngest brother George died in 1924.

Their Daughter Mrs. Annie Steadwell mentions her mother as Esther Barker in her Obituary
Newspaper: The Berkshire Eagle (Pittsfield, Massachusetts) 06 Mar 1967, Mon Page 10
Mrs. Annie Steadwell
Salisbury, Conn -- Funeral services for Mrs. Annie Steadwell, 85, of Echo Street who died Saturday at Sharon Hospital were this morning in St. John's Episcopal Church here. The Rev. James Hyde rector, officiated. Burial was in Salisbury Cemetery.
Mrs. Steadwell, the widow of Robert Steadwell was born in England, Sept 16, 1879, the daughter of William and Esther Barker Washington. She was a member of the St. John's Church. She leaves a sister, Mrs. Florence Knickerbocker of Salisbury.

I should be receiving in the mail the Obituary for Easter A. Barker Washington soon. She died 2 April 1948 in Salisbury, Litchfield County, Connecticut. I will post that when I get it. May be there will be more about there marriage in that Obituary. Let's hope.

Re: Joseph Washington - Looking for an Obituary - two marriages Did Joseph got to the USA?

Yes, Joseph Washington came to the USA about 1875 and died 24 MARCH 1876 • Town of Litchfield, Litchfield County, Connecticut. This is what the Death Records says "Record of Death in the Town of Litchfield, 1876, 11 Line down,page 470-471
Name: Joseph Washington, Death Date: March 24, 1876, Age 46, Yes Married, Born in England, page Place of Death: Litchfield, CT
Time of Death: 24 March 1876
Sex: Male
Single, Married, Widower or Widow: Married
Birth Place: England
Residence at Death: Litchfield, CT
Cause of Death: Diabetes Mellitus,
Physician or Person Certifying: R. L. Goodwin

Tombstone Reads:
Joseph Washington 1820-1876
Elizabeth his wife 1822-1882

Name of Cemetery: Northfield Cemetery, Northfield, Litchfield County, Connecticut

The 1880 U.S. Federal State Census for Town of Litchfield, Litchfield Co., CT. B, Page 10, Sup Dist.1, Enum Dist. 21,Dated: 10 & 11 June 1880 Lines 42-50, Dwelling 101-106
Head: Mary Hale, Female, Age 60, Keeping House, England, England, England
John Harrigan, Male, Age 40, Single, Cutter, England, England, England
Eliza Washington, Female, Age 48, Self, Keeping House, England, England, England
George Washington, Male, Age 15, Son, Single, Knife Maker, England, England, England
Ralph Lee, Male Age 45, Single, Cutter, other, England, England, England

Death Record for Elizabeth Washington Reads: Mrs. Washington
Records of births, marriages, and deaths in the town of Litchfield, 1867-1910 Authors: Litchfield (Connecticut). Registrar of Vital Statistics (Main Author) Note: Records of Marriages 1895-1910 Records of Deaths 1867-1909 Location: Family History Collection/Shelf: U.S.A and Canada Film Film: 1516712 DGS: 7734025 Formant: Photo
4th line page 490
Name: Mrs. Washington
Place of Death: Litchfield, CT
Time of Death 27 Feb 1882
Age at Death: 49
Sex: Female
Single, Married, Widower or Widow: Widow
Birth Place: London, England
4th Line Page 491
Residence at time of Death: Litchfield, CT
Cause of Death: Epithelial Cancer
Color: White
Name of Parents Elisha _ _ _ _?
Physician or Person Certifying: Willis Beach, M.D.

George Washington Arrived at Age (meaning Age 21): 14 Sept. 1885 According to Naturalization paper He was a resident of Salisbury in Litchfield County on the 25 of Oct. 1886. He was former Subject of the Government of Great Britain.

George Washington's Obituary
Newspaper: Springfield Daley News, Obituary Column, Date of Death: 9-29-1924, at Daughter's home
George Washington, Age 60, of 14 lee Street, died this morning at his home. He was born in England and lived in this city since last March. He was a knife maker. He leaves a Widow Mary of this city, a son George, of Lakeville, CT, three daughters, Mrs. L. Devantry of New York. Mrs. W. Best, and Miss Martha Washington, Two Brothers, Joseph Washington of Bridgeport, CT and William of Salisbury CT. and Two Sisters. Mrs Margaret Braybrook of England and Mrs Walter Brammer of Winsted CT. He was a member of the the Knights of Phythias of Salisbury, Woodmen of America, and Sons of St. George of New Britian. The funeral will be at Bryon's funeral home Wednesday. Services Following in ST. John's Episcopal Church in Salisbury CT. at 2:30 that afternoon. Burial Will be in Salisbury.

George Washington was burial: Salisbury Cemetery, Salisbury, Litchfield County, Connecticut,

Re: Joseph Washington - Looking for an Obituary - 1851 England Census, William Washington 5 mos old

1851 England Census
Name: Joseph Washington
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1822
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Sarah Washington
Where Born: Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
Civil Parish: Sheffield
Ecclesiastical Parish: St. George
Phillimore Ecclesiastical Parish 13216
Maps:
Town: Sheffield
County/Island: Yorkshire
Registration District: Sheffield
Sub-Registration District: North Sheffield
Ed, instution, or Vessel: 21
Household schedule number 145
Piece: 2339
Folio: 909
Page: 34
Household Members: 14183475
Household Member Name:
Joseph Washington Age 39
Sarah Washington Age 23
William Washington 5 Mo
James Rogers Age 19

Re: Joseph Washington - Looking for an Obituary The 1841 England Census

Moira Hyde
Feb 17, 2020 - 9:17AM
Quote ReplyRe: Joseph Washington - Looking for an Obituary
Hi Cathi,

1841 census, Radford Place Bank, Sheffield.
Joseph Washington, 40.
Margaret Washington, 40.
Elizabeth Washington, 14.
Joseph Washington, 12, (1829).
Margaret Washington, 9.
John Washington, 4.
This entry is from the census in the left hand column on this site,
but, it is not on FMP. Ages in 1841 were rounded down to the nearest 5 or 0.

I have a copy of this, but it reads a bit different, it's two pages Radford Place Bank, Township of Sheffield. Bottom Right Page
Joseph Washington Age 40, Cutter
Mary Washington NOT Margaret Age 40
Next page top Left Corner
Elizabeth Age 14
Joseph Age 12
Mary Age 9
John Age 4
George Young Age 15

I believe this Joseph was married to Mary Bright, I might be wrong, but they were married on the 18th of May 1815 at St. Peter's Cathedral, Sheffield, York, England found FHL Film Number: 919328, 919329, 919360, 919361, 919362

They were the parents of Joseph Washington born in the year 1828/1829 who died on the 24 the March 1876 in Town of Litchfield, Litchfield Co., CT. and his son George was 15 in the 1880 U.S. Federal State Census.

Cathy, all brilliant info, and now we can get somewhere
1. The births of JOE Washington in Sheffield and Anne Washington in ecclesall bierlow in 1878 and 1879 respectively are in GRO index. The mother maiden name is BARKER.
There is no marriage for them, not surprising, he was already married to Mary Jane Griffith. At that time divorce was effectively impossible.

2. It looks like there could be a transcription error in our 1841 CENSUS OF THE washingtons at Radford Place. We have 2 Margaret's and you say the original has 2 Mary's. Hopefully Vicki will check that please.

3.What evidence do you have for joseph arriving in 1875?

4.Do you have the crossing details for the Brammers?

Dave

Dave et al

The enumerator wrote his 'g's like his 'y's

I have amended the 1841 Census entry to Mary for both the mother and her daughter aged 9.

Vicki

Hi

This is the entry from: Tweedale's Directory of Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers.

Joseph Washington
This cutler was listed as a manufacturer of so-called Chinese [pressed-horn handled] knives in 1828 in Pea Croft. In 1841 Joseph Washington was enumerated in the census as a 'cutler' at an address in Radford Place Bank. During the 1840s, Washington transferred his activities to Leicester Street, from where in 1849 he advertised as a maker of Spanish knives. He now lived in Solly Street. In the 1850s, he and his son -also named Joseph - were listed as cutlers (and sometimes shopkeepers) in the Pea Croft/Leicester Street area. According to the 1851 census, his firm employed eleven men and a apprentice.

Joseph Washington, Pea Croft, died on 10 September 1854, aged 59, and was buried in Portobello churchyard. Joseph Washington - presumably his son - was listed in 1856 as a spring knife manufacturer in a yard in Eyre Street. He was aged about 26. However the name disappeared from the directory listings after that date and Joseph Jun. appears to have emigrated. An obituary (Sheffield Independent, 13, April, 12 June 1876) noted the death on 23 March of Joseph Washington, the son of the late Joseph Washington, cutlery manufacturer of Leicester Street. He had died in Northfield, Conneticut, where Sheffield cutlers such as Charles Platts (qv) were making pocket knives. He was aged 46. Joseph Sen's youngest son, John, died in Sheffield on 2 May in the same year, aged 37.

Angela

Cathi, the GROIndex gives good info on the Brammers. They had 4 children in Sheffield/Ecclesall Bierlow, the first in Q4 1870 and the last in q2 1879. All had mother maiden name Washington.
Dave

Hi Cathi et al,
1861 Census-Union Place-Clerkenwell
Joseph Washington, 31 (Cutler)
Sarah Washington 34 ??
William Washington 10
Mary E. Washington 7
Margaret Washington 4
John Eyre Washington 27 (Cousin)

My two cents worth: If George Washington B1864 is being claimed in the 1880 census in Litchfield, Conn. as the son of Eliza, and Eliza was born in London, then Joseph B:1829/30 probably had a fling with Elizabeth(Eliza) during this period in the London area.
Joseph Washington B: 1862, March qtr. Clerkenwell
George Washington B: 1864 Ecclesall Bierlow
George Washington B: 1861 Dec qtr.Clerkenwell
or did any of these children belong to Sarah (nee Carnell(aka Carnal)..??
Maybe Dave could check the MMN's.
I have not found any marriages in England for that period to an Elizabeth, so as Dave suggests, they could have lived as man & wife but never married. This would probably have been after he left his 2nd wife, Harriet Scafe (nee Speight.?)later, Washington, later Armitage. Then Joseph & Eliz. sailed off to America..??

HAPPY HUNTING :sleuth_or_spy:

Good find Wendy.
Joseph born 1862 Clerkenwell and George born B 1864 were both mmn Carnall.
The George born clerkenwell 1861 irrelevant. Mmn Gore
Dave

Re: Joseph Washington - Arriving in America, what is the Evidence?

Hi Dave:

What I have is this The 1900 U.S. Federal State Census for Wincester, Litchfield Co., CT. Says George Washington arrived in a America in the year 1876, While the 1920 U.S. Federal State Census for New Britain Ward 3, Hartford, Connecticut, Says George Washington immigrated in the year 1875. So, we can assume 1875/1876, but before Joseph death on the 24 March 1876, which I have his Death Records

Also one other son immigrated with George Washington's older brother Joseph. Who is also found in the 1880 U.S. Federal State Census for Thomstead, Litchfield Co., CT.
Name:Joseph Washington
Birth Date: Abt 1860
Birthplace:England
Home in 1880: Thomaston, Litchfield, Connecticut, USA
Street: Knipe Shop Village
House Number: 280
Dwelling Number: 419
Race: White
Marital Status: Single
Father's Birthplace: England
Mother's Birthplace: England

The 1920 U.S. Federal State Census West Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut for Joseph Washington says he immigrated in the year 1875. So, again we can assume that they arrived about 1875/1876 before the father, Joseph Washington died on 24th of March 1876.

Also one other thought about Joseph Washington. His Social Security Application SS 5 Form U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
Name: Joseph Washington
Race: White
Birth Date: 1 Jan 1862
Birth Place: United Kingdom
Father: Joseph Washington
Mother: Sarah Carnell
SSN0: 41180279
Notes: Jan 1938: Name listed as JOSEPH WASHINGTON

Joseph Washington married after the 1880 U.S. Federal State Census to Anne Elizabeth Jarvis and may have married a 2nd time after the death of his first wife, who died 30 MARCH 1917 • Winchester, Litchfield County, Connecticut, USA. His second wives name may have been Josephine Bradbury Mills, married 18 Oct 1923 • Milford, Connecticut, USA. She died on 22 DECEMBER 1933 • Fairfield County, Connecticut.

Not sure of Joseph Washington Death in process of trying to figure that out to get his death Certificate.

Earlier I added the 1924 Obituary George Washington, who named his brothers as William Washington and Joseph Washington of Bridgeport, CT and sisters Mrs Margaret Braybrook of England and Mrs Walter Brammer of Winsted CT. . See earlier Obituary This DOES NOT say when they all immigrated. It just shows how they are all related.

By Ship Records we know that William and his wife Esther and two children arrived on 9 Aug 1880 • New York, New York on the Ship The Ship: Britannic, Arrival Date 9 Aug 1880 • New York, New York

There Sister Mary Elizabeth who was married to Walter Brammer arrived in the same year as William in 1880, according to the 1900 U.S. Federal State Census Winchester District 0265, Litchfield County, CT.

This is what I have on the possible Arrival for Joseph Washington the Father through his children point to 1875/1876 before his death.

Re: Mary Jane Griffith Washington, 1st wife of William Washington. . .Prison?

I found a record that has a Mary Jane Washington in Prison. If this was William Washington's wife maybe this is why he left or remarried or was granted release from the relationship. Did they do that. . .It would explain Esther his second wife
Anyway, here is that record:
West Yorkshire England Prison Records, 1801-1914
Name: Mary Jane Washington (The name "Griffith" also is written there)
Birth: Abt. 1854
Birth Place: Sheffield
Event Date 1878-1881
Prison or Quarter Session: HMP Wakefield
Page: 671
Column: Far Left Column under heading "Washington"

Perhaps this is why William Washington was able to remarry Eshter A. Barker.

I wonder if there is any other court records about this Mary Jane Washington. Where would I go to find more about this case?

Cathi, hopefully someone will answer your q about prison record.i can state categorically that her imprisonment would have no influence on the status of their marriage. He did not re marryto Esther. That would have been bigamy, a criminal offence carrying a prison sentence. However they did live together and have children who were legitimate because Joseph's name is on the birth records
Dave

Edit There are a couple of articles in Sheffield newspapers in 1878 about Mary Jane washington and a hospital. I cannot see the full articles, which are on FMP.

So, Dave:

You are saying that there were no grounds for Divorce in England during that time period and people were stuck in a relationship, even if a person deserted, Imprisonment for a crime or Adultery?. America granted divorce in two areas. Proven Desertion and Proven Adultery. I have found Divorce papers in America going back to at least 1700s for those two different areas.

So, William was living with Eshter A. Barker and had two children together before leaving for the America in 1880. He was committing Adultery and in America, Mary Jane Griffith could have asked for a divorce. The Crazy thing is if Mary Jane Griffith Washington was in prison from 1878-1881. Then William and Esther were together and had children while she was in Prison and then they left for America, before Mary Jane was out of Prison. . . . .

Interesting to think about. I hope I am able to find court records on this imprisonment, because it could help to understand the predicament William Washington was in and why he emotionally left Mary Jane for another women. It's still quite a predicament and Mary Jane may not be guilty at all for what William did. Especially, if she is NOT the women in Prison.

Anyway, what a crazy crazy situation. . .well there are no words for it.

CATHI,
Yes I am saying almost all of that. Before the marriage Act of 1937 the only grounds for divorce in uk were adultery, sodomy and a couple of other unsavoury acts. Even with those grounds satisfied the only way to achieve the divorce was to go through the chancery court in London which was very expensive and took a long time and would be extremely embarrassing to the female if she was the adulterer. Basically if you were not rich it did not happen. It is my understanding (from Angela) that all successful divorces from that time are available in chancery court records.so if there was one, you can find it.
At the same time it was a legal requirement for marriage, death and birth to be registered. Birth registration could be avoided without being found out, explaining why many are missing, but that was not true for marriage or death. No death reg, no burial. If you went through a legal marriage ceremony, you could not avoid it being registered.

The marriage act of 1937 added as grounds for divorce abandonment ie disappearing from reach of authority, voluntary living apart minimum 2 years, one partner with long term mental illness and a few other things. More importantly it took the administration of divorce away from the chancery and into the hands of local magistrates, making it ordinary people friendly and affordable.
Dave

Thank you David that was extremely helpful. I did not know that about English law. I think it was a bit easier here in the America in the earlier years, but not my much.

Cathi, consider the following timeline of facts:
Dec 24 1871 William Washington marries Mary Jane Griffith (18)
GRO Index shows there were no children registered from this marriage.
Jan 1 1878 Birth Reg of Joe Washington, Sheffield so born end Dec 1877 (or earlier). Mother Maiden name Barker. (Joe’s birth reg was on the first page of the quarter so it must have been 1st or 2nd Jan)
Jan 27/28 1878 Mary Jane Washington, 24, involved in something violent (see Newspaper Report, you need that). She was lodging in Jessop St at the time. Whatever happened was reported to police.
1878-1881 Mary Jane in prison
1879 Ann Washington born Ecclesall Bierlow, MMN Barker.
1880 William, Esther, Joe and Ann arrive USA.
William and Esther were already together by end March 1877 (conception of Joe), and Mary Jane was in lodgings at end Jan 1878.
Some time between 1872 and 1877 William and Mary Jane separated, but they remained living in the same area. She was his wife and by law he could not abandon her. He had to pay for her upkeep. If he did not then all she had to do was go to the Guardians and they would make him pay or he would be taken to magistrates’ court.
However there was no law that said he had to live with her.
I believe he would have to pay for her upkeep after she came out of prison, even from USA, because he could not abandon her without committing a criminal offence.
I think that is right, can anyone confirm or deny?
Dave

The incident in question was that Mary Jane Washington seemed to have been attacked because she did not to be in the company of a gentlemen.Unsure if this was he was making advances to her. He got irate and he kicked her around the ear etc and taken to hospital where the surgeon reported her condition to the police and the police were going to make an arrest. I wonder therefore if she took revenge. but I have not found any other articles yet (unless I have missed it as my glasses need a clean haha)

Hi Angela:

Thank you for your reply about the death of Joseph Washington "Joseph Washington, Pea Croft, died on 10 September 1854, aged 59, and was buried in Portobello churchyard.

My question is are you sure about the Church Yard. I have Burial Record for this Joseph Washington that I got from findmypast.com and this is what it says below. Maybe you have something different or maybe they are the sameplace names have changed. I am not familiar with what's in England, personally. I grew up in California, USA

Anyway, here is what I have on where Joseph Washington who died 1854 was buried
his Document may also be viewed at findmypast.com
* First name(s): Joseph
* Last name: Washington
* Birth year: 1795
* Death year: 1854
* Burial year: 1854
* Burial date: 13 Sep 1854
* Burial place: Sheffield, St
* George, Brook Hill
* County: Yorkshire (West Riding)
* Archive: Sheffield Archives & Local Studies
* Archive reference: PR-62-3-5
* Page: 276
* Record set: Yorkshire Burials
* Category: Birth, Marriage &
Death (Parish Registers)
* Subcategory: Parish Burials
* Collections from: England, Great Britain

Hi Cathi
St George's church has Brook Hill to its northside and Portobello on its southern side so it is the same place. Most people refer to it being on Brook Hill as that is the main road.

Regards
Steve

Hi Dave:

Where would I locate these documents or where could I send for copies of Original?

The Apprentices and Freemen entry is very informative. It reads:
Washington Joseph and Thomas sons of William of Leek, lab. (1) to Parkin Thos c, 9 1772, F1803, (2) to Windle Ed, 7, 1765-1787 F1801.
This means that Joseph was apprenticed to Thomas Parkin, cutler for 9 years in 1772, so he would be 21 in 1772+9=1781, (born about 1760). However the final F1803 means he did not become an independent cutler until 1803 when he purchased his freedom (ie registered a trade mark). Presumably he continued to work for Parkin until then.
Thomas, his brother, was apprenticed to Ed Windle for 7 yrs in 1765, so he would be 21 in 1765+7 =1772 so born 1751. He apparently continued to work for Windle till 1787, but then presumably worked for someone else because he did not purchase his trademark until 1801.
It looks like we have 3 generations of Joseph Washingtons, born 1760, 1795 and 1729. The first is presumably the one who died in 1836, the second died in 1854 and the third in 1876 in USA.
I hope that helps to piece it together.
Dave

Ps: I believe I have been able to piece together All the generations of "Washington" Starting with my Daughter-in-law, Nichole Washington and her father David Robert Washington, Here in America, by using all the clues you have given me here at Sheffield Indexers and by going over to FMD, which has provided with real documents and a few extra clues. So, Thank you very much for all of your help. I hope you don't mind, If I keep asking question you have all been a big help. And My Daughter-in-law is very excited since My son and her will be living in England for 3 years and she is looking forward to visiting Sheffield, where her family was from. So, THANK YOU THANK YOU, THANK YOU. . . .

Hi John:

Where would I find the Documents for this or the site where you found this:

The incident in question was that Mary Jane Washington seemed to have been attacked because she did not to be in the company of a gentlemen.Unsure if this was he was making advances to her. He got irate and he kicked her around the ear etc and taken to hospital where the surgeon reported her condition to the police and the police were going to make an arrest. I wonder therefore if she took revenge. but I have not found any other articles yet (unless I have missed it as my glasses need a clean haha)

Thank you so much by the way, pieces of the story are so important.

Cathi G.

Re: Joseph Washington - Looking for an Obituarye.

Cathi,the apprentice and Freemen document original is right here .look over to the list of links on the left and click on Apprentices and Freemen. It is a long alphabetical list and you have to page through it. It is not searchable.
The article on Mary Jane and police is in newspapers on FMP, which I understand you now have.

Dave

THANK YOU found the Apprentice and Freeman Document, BUT Can't find the Article for Mary Jane, Help

Hi Dave:

In Reply to: Cathi,the apprentice and Freemen document original is right here .look over to the list of links on the left and click on Apprentices and Freemen. It is a long alphabetical list and you have to page through it. It is not searchable.
The article on Mary Jane and police is in newspapers on FMP, which I understand you now have.

THANK YOU. . .I Found the Apprentice and Freemen Document and made a copy. Thank you. . . .

BUT. . .I still am NOT finding the Articles about Mary Jane. . .I have tried several times, even starting with Just the Newspapers and nothing comes up for a Mary Jane Washington or Mary Jane Griffith.

So, Could you possible give me some direction on how to find. Maybe there is a secret to finding. Thank you for your help

Re: THANK YOU found the Apprentice and Freeman Document, BUT Can't find the Article for Mary Jane,

Go into the newspaper file on fmp. Type Mary Jane in the first name box and Washington on the Surname box. That gives about 6 answers and two of them are the ones you want.
Dave

Re: THANK YOU found the Apprentice and Freeman Document, BUT Can't find the Article for Mary Jane,

Hi Dave:

" Go into the newspaper file on fmp. Type Mary Jane in the first name box and Washington on the Surname box. That gives about 6 answers and two of them are the ones you want."
Dave

From Me:
Finally found it. FMP was having some difficulties and I got it yesterday. THANK YOU! :grinning: