Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Agnes Cunningham

Hi everyone,

I have just got back into doing my family tree after a long break.

One of the things that has really stumped me is that Agnes Cunningham my grandmother, was born in 1887 to Irish decent and Catholic parent her father died in 1899.

In 1902 her mother Annie Cunningham went into Fir vale workhouse with the 3 youngest children, Agnes being older must have been put somewhere else, she was 14.

I have always been told that she was in a convent and taught by nuns.
in 1911 she was recorded in the Leicester work house.

Can some please unravel this for me.

Thankyou

Re: Agnes Cunningham

If you go to the school records on this site I think you will find some records relating to the admission registers of Fir Vale Workhouse Homes.
CUNNINGHAM, Kate (Student, 1895-04-29).
Parent or guardian name(s): Annie Cunningham (~), of Workhouse.
Admitted to Sheffield Childrens Home Register, Fir Vale, as of 1902-03-29, ~
until ~, reason for leaving: ~. Previously attended ~.
Remarks: Father deceased.
Find Similar at Same Address if Available Surname Match if Available

CUNNINGHAM, Maggie (Student, 1897-02-13).
Parent or guardian name(s): Annie Cunningham (~), of Workhouse.
Admitted to Sheffield Childrens Home Register, Fir Vale, as of 1902-03-29, ~
until ~, reason for leaving: ~. Previously attended ~.
Remarks: Father deceased.

There is a James too.
The original admission registers for the children's homes attached to Fir Vale Workhouse are at Sheffield Archives. I have looked at them myself and the transcribers on here used them to transcribe some of the early ones which appear on here among the school registers. Ref no CA41 (33-36)
Lyn

Re: Agnes Cunningham

Kim, it is clear that the family was admitted to the Workhouse, including Agnes. Workhouse rules were very strict, and costs dominated decisions. When they entered the workhouse the school age children would be placed in education and you have found them there. Agnes was different. She was 14, and therefore was of school leaving age. The guardians would need to reduce costs and the standard method with children 14 to 21 was find a place for them. The person taking them on would receive a one off payment and would contractually undertake to house and feed them, in return for work of some sort, until they were 21. There is no reason why that 'person' should not be a convent. Once she reached adulthood, (at age 21, which would be 1909) she would be free to do whatever she wanted.
However, if she chose to go into the world at that stage and could not find a husband or make an independent living she would almost inevitably end up in a Workhouse.
Dave