Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wharn View School

Hi
My father DOB 18/09/1906 attended the above school prior to attending Marlciffe school on 05/07/1915 Sheffield in 1915 but cant find a school by that name and wanting to know when he attended and what was his home address and parents name were at time if different to what is recorded for Marlcliffe school as follows : Fathers name Frank Gray /Home Address 15 Darwin Rd Sheffield
How do I then check what school he transferred to
Hoping Someone can help as I am new to this and not that great on Computers
Thanks
Colin Gray

Re: Wharn View School

Gray, Frank (Student, dob 18 Sep 1906).
Parent or guardian name(s): Frank (~), of 15 Darwin Rd.
Admitted to Marlcliffe Rd Junior & Infants Council School, Wadsley, as of 05 Jul 1915,
until 27 Jul 1916, reason for leaving: Transferred. Previously attended Wharn View.

From the information we transcribed..... which matches what you had stated.

I wonder if Wharn View. Could have been abbreviated from Wharncliffe View.?? I dont know of this school.

We transcribed all the material available to us in 2008.

Register should have been deposited with Sheffield Archives but many were not handed in.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Instant Messenger: Skype

The road names were fluid at that time Marlcliffe Road was originally planned to be Marlborough Avenue, and Wharncliffe View Road became Overton Road. Marlcliffe Road School was originally called Wharncliffe View School and was opened for pupils on 5th July 1915, and officially opened by the Lord Mayor, Councillor O.C. Wilson on Tuesday 13th July. In August 1911 the Education sub-committee had requested the City Architect to draw up plans for the new school at Wharncliffe View, Lower Wadsley, and also proposed that premises on Taplin Road, belonging to the Hillsborough Baptist Church and used as a schoolroom, be rented for running a temporary school prior to the Wharncliffe View School completion.

Hi Thanks for your help

HI
Thanks for your help