Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ETHEL WHITFIELD NEE DUTTON

I am looking for Ethel Dutton's Parents, Ethel was born 13 - 05 - 1910 in Huddersfield on the 13 - 05 - 1910 Vol 9a Page 269. She married Leonard Whitfield 03 - 11 - 1935 in Huddersfield Vol 9a Page 655 fathers name Harry Dutton. I also believe they had one child?. Ethel died Apri Jun 1980 in Hudersfield age 69 Vol 4 Page 1590. All this information was given by another researcher who is no longer researching.
My very best wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft.

Re: ETHEL WHITFIELD NEE DUTTON

Hi Fred

The only Ethel Dutton, born 1910 in Huddersfield, I can find is the illegitimate daughter of Clara Dutton.
Her baptism record shows only Clara's name and name of father is left blank. In the 1911 census, she is shown with her mother, who states she is single, and what appears to be an older illegitimate sister - Annie aged 3. There is another Dutton there, Ben who is 25 and also states the he is single; Clara's brother?? They are all boarders in the home of Firth and Ann Woodhouse; Firth is a worsted spinner, Clara is a general domestic servant and Ben a cloth scourer, There is no mention in either record of a 'Harry Dutton'.

Carol

Hi again

Spotted another Dutton in the same household, she wasn't listed alongside the other Duttons so I didn't initially spot her. She is Elsie Dutton and was 11 years old so I looked up her birth expecting her to be another illegitimate daughter of Clara's but she isn't. She is the illegitimate daughter of Ann Elizabeth Dutton and Ann Elizabeth are the names of Mrs Woodhouse. So it now appears that Clara and Ben are boarding at the home of their older sister, Ann Elizabeth is 31 in 1911 and their brother-in-law.

Carol

Just looked up the Marriage of Firth Woodhouse and Ann Elizabeth, her maiden name is Dutton

Hi Fred

The Ethel Dutton who Carol found matches the GRO reference you have - Apr-Jun 1910, Huddersfield, Vol 9a, Page 269 but the birth month on the baptism is different:

Ethel Dutton - Born 13 Oct 1910, baptised 19 Oct 1910, All Hallowes, Almondbury, Huddersfield
Mother Clara, no father. Claras address was given as 'Northgate' which is where Clara is living on the 1911 census Carol mentioned.

Ethels date of birth is recorded as 13 May 1910 on the 1939 register so the baptism record could be a transcription error.

On Ethel and Leonards Marriage certificate (on Ancestry) Harry Dutton is recorded as 'deceased' , so may never have existed at all (given that in 1911 Clara is still single but with 2 children) and was just what Ethel was told.

I also couldnt find any children for Whitfield/Dutton
Clara was born abt 1882 in Birkby, Huddersfield . Cant yet see any obvious marriage for a Clara Dutton.

Annie Dutton, Ethels older sister (still living at Northgate presumably with Clara) married a Leslie Hanson in 1933 in Almondbury and on the marriage certificate the father is left blank.

Denise

Hi Carol, Thank you very much for your very kind reply and valued information
My very best wishes.
Fred Wheatcroft.

Hi Denise, thank you very much for your very kind reply and valued information.
My very best wishes.
Fred wheatcroft.