Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lee / Platts

Hi,

Thomas Lee, table knife grinder, born 30/6/1805 and baptized 26/7/1805 Ecclesall, lived on Thomas St and died in 1850.
He was buried at Ecclesall church.
His parents were Joseph Lee (a farmer) and Elizabeth (maiden name probably either Vickers or Fox.)
An Elizabeth Lee (widow) married John Platts in 1838 from Thomas St, and could have been Thomas Lee’s mother.
She was living on Broad St Lane in 1841 and was still alive for the 1851 census which says she was born at Cherry Tree.

Can anyone find:
- a death for Joseph Lee between 1805 and 1838. If so, any clue to his year of birth?
- what happened to Elizabeth Platts after the 1851 census?

Many thanks,
Heths

Re: Lee / Platts

Hi Heather

There is a Joseph Lee born 1779 marrying Elizabeth Palmer in Duffield Derbyshire 27th January 1799 (I think Duffield is an incorrect transcription)

Thomas Lee married Emma Bishop on 7th February 1826 at Dronfield Derbyshire

in the UK, City and County Directories, 1766 - 1946.. Joseph Lee 881
Address: Bunting field Residence Place: Derbyshire, England Occupation: Farmer

Since the marriages took place at Dronfield I think I would look for a burial at Dronfield Cemetery Dronfield Cemetery was opened in November, 1877, and covered 8 acres with two mortuary chapels
http://www.dronfield.gov.uk/cemeteries.html

I have also found this burial the birth appears correct year .. Joseph Lees
Birth Year: 1779
Burial Date: 20 Sep 1842
Burial Place: Parwich, Derbyshire, England

Best wishes
Angela

Hi Heather,
I have this family in my tree and think Joseph was born c.1783 in Holmesfield, baptised at Dronfield Parish Church on 23rd Feb 1783, father shown as Thomas Lee. He married Elizabeth Fox on 9th Dec 1804 and they had at least one son called Thomas Lee b.1805 (as you have stated). I did find 2 more baptisms for a Jonathan Lee on 30th August 1807 and John Lee on 3rd Dec 1809 but the occupation of dad was scissorsmith, so ruled them out. Thomas was indeed living in Thomas Street in 1841 along with his wife Emma nee Bishop and 7 children.

I think Joseph died in Sept 1822 and is buried at Ecclesall All Saints. His occupation shown as cow doctor!

Elizabeth Fox was born 1786, baptised 15th Feb 1786 at Sheffield Cathedral, parents Robert and Sarah Fox.(labourer).

Thomas Lee died in 1850 and his wife Emma went on to marry William Burdekin who appears to have been living next door to them in 1841

Hope this helps
Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Thanks, this ties in with what I have. I’d found two possible marriages for Joseph, one to Elizabeth Fox and the other to Elizabeth Vickers.
I wasn’t sure which one was right. Then I found the marriage of Elizabeth Lee (widow, nee Fox) which said she lived on Thomas St.
That made her look promising! I had been wondering about that cow doctor..... :)

My great-grandmother was Norah Lee, the youngest daughter of Thomas and Emma’s son John Lee.
How do Thomas and Emma fit into your tree?

Heths

Hold on, Houston we have a problem.
I’ve just looked back at my notes and the Joseph who was baptized in Holmesfield was an apprentice scissorsmith in 1798, son of Thomas Lee of Dore. That would point to him being the father of Jonathan and the other lad, but not Thomas.

Heths

Hi Heather, I still think we are on the right lines for Joseph. The Ecclesall baptisms also showed a Jonathan Lee b.1807 and John Lee b.1809 with parents as Joseph and Elizabeth - scissorsmith. Just wondering if he gave up supplemented farming with being a scissorsmith. The Cow thing probably was they kept a cow and supplied milk to the locals. Not sure on that but Jonathan Lee appears to have gone on to marry a Sarah Ashton and they had a daughter Elizabeth b.1833. Unfortunately by 1841 Jonathan had died and left Sarah a widow. She appears to be lodging in Bailey Street in 1841 with daughter Elizabeth but can't find her after that.

Tried looking for the John born in 1809 but there's a lot of John's - will keep looking (lunch is calling!).

Wendy