Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grandma in Sheffield Children’s Home Fir Vale

Hi,
A very kind lady on this forum pointed me in the direction of an entry on this site for my grandma and great uncle, both being on the Children's home register in 1900 - Annie and James Kelly. I was following another line of interest at the time but have now come back to follow up on this. Is there anywhere I can apply to, to gain more information about this. Would the Sheffield archives hold the original record?
Claire

Re: Grandma in Sheffield Children’s Home Fir Vale

Hi Claire

You can search the archives catalogue online. This is what I turned up.

RefNo CA41/7
Title Ecclesall Union, Fulwood Cottage Homes
Description In 1903, the Ecclesall Bierlow Union built a children’s home off Blackbrook Road, Fulwood, called Fulwood Cottage Homes. The home consisted of 21 separate cottages which together could accommodate over 300 children who were cared for by foster mothers and attended local schools. In 1930, the Fulwood Cottage Homes came under the care of the Public Assistance Committee of Sheffield Corporation (the predecessor to Sheffield City Council) and by 1940 were absorbed (along with the Sheffield Union Scattered Homes) into the City of Sheffield Children’s Homes. The home closed in 1960, becoming Moorside Approved School.
Date 1905 - 1945
Extent 5 items
AccessStatus Restricted
AccessConditions These items include references to named individuals (including children) and their personal circumstances. Consequently these records are closed to public inspection for 75 years under the Data Protection Act (exempt under section 40 of the Freedom of Information Act). Please refer to Sheffield Archives for advice on how to access the restricted items.
Level Series
RelatedMaterial See also:
Records of Fulwood Cottage Homes, Bole Hill Lane (later Blackbrook Road), Lodge Moor, Sheffield, 1902 - 1960 (CA612) [restricted access].

Angela

Hi Angela,
Thank you for this information. Do you know if the archives would let me view the entries? I just wondered if there would be a reason recorded why they were admitted.
Claire

Claire,
The reason given in the register (see over to the left) is that they were in the Workhouse. I suspect you would need to view the Workhouse registers to find out why they were there.
Dave

Hi Dave,
So the likelihood is that their parents were in the workhouse for that month also. It seems such a short time but it also says ‘previously attended’ and I’m not sure if that is related to another occasion when they were admitted. I’ll contact the archives and go from there. Many thanks for your input. It’s just another little nugget of my grandmas life who sadly died the year before I was born so all I have is other people’s faded memories, a couple of photos and documents I’ve managed to find through research.
Claire

Hi,
I have been in touch with the archives and they tell me no registers survived from Fir Vale workhouse or children’s home and the guy is under the impression that the info on here is taken from the 1901 census, but I’m sure that’s not the case. Can anyone tell me who holds the original registers for Fir Vale children’s home please. Maybe it me not understanding it properly but I’m getting a bit confused.
Many thanks, Claire.

There are definitely admission registers for the children's homes attached to Fir Vale Workhouse. I have looked at them myself and the transcribers on here used them to transcribe some of the early ones which appear on here among the school registers. CA41 (33-36) I believe.
Everyone thinks all records were lost during WW2 but these registers survived.

Hi Lyn,
Thank you so much for this. I will head to the archives as soon as I can and have a look at these.
Claire